Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By slashd0t
  • 3 Post By yodies
  • 1 Post By philpeeps

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I had a couple amusing experiences yesterday which is odd since I haven't had a single person comment on my 920 since I bought it.. Then to have two people literally within 5 minutes think it was an iPhone haha..

First person asks (older man):

"Whoa, is that the new one?"

"Yep, it just came out"

"My son just gave me his old one, because he was buying the new one"

"Oh really? Which one did he have?:

"The iPhone 4"

Facepalm...

Then not 5 minutes later I have a woman ask me:

"Hey, the new one is quite big eh?"

"This isn't an iPhone"

"Oh really? I thought it was that screen looks so big and nice"

Facepalm...
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    What color is your phone?
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    These idiots....
    Banned

Just explain that the screen is better with better pixel density, has a better battery, bettery camera and isn't the boring old iOS that's been exactly the same for 5 years.

I had the 3GS and 4 but after that it just got silly, had to get something else but not Android.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPenvy View Post
    These idiots....

Not everyone is on forums like these. People have lives and actually work and have sex with human beings.... may want to look into that.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justreason View Post
    What color is your phone?
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Black

As a programmer, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology, but I never call someone who isn't as good as me with technology an *****, because that person is almost definitely better than me at something else, at which point I would look like the *****.

The thing I take away from this is that the general public sees a phone that looks cool and automatically assumes it's an iPhone, which is great for Apple, but also an opportunity for us to show other non-technophiles that there are alternatives to iPhone.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
    ExcaliburII, aubreyq and luckylifo like this.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    As a programmer, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology, but I never call someone who isn't as good as me with technology an *****, because that person is almost definitely better than me at something else, at which point I would look like the *****.

The thing I take away from this is that the general public sees a phone that looks cool and automatically assumes it's an iPhone, which is great for Apple, but also an opportunity for us to show other non-technophiles that there are alternatives to iPhone.
    I agree! Apple must love that they have that much mindshare ...

I did spend some time with one of them on what I really liked about it vs the iPhone.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    Before the iPhone, it was that way with Blackberry...every candybar phone with keyboard was a BB to the average Joe. Look where they are now ;)
    aubreyq likes this.

I think that its safe to say that the iPhone has become the symbol of all touch screen phones.. its pretty much everywhere, even in ads that have nothing to do with mobile devices...

Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Before the iPhone, it was that way with Blackberry...every candybar phone with keyboard was a BB to the average Joe. Look where they are now ;)
    Right on.. and I was silly enough to carry around a Nokia E71 at the time... it was crazy how many people thought it was the coolest BB they have ever seen :)

I too have had this experience lately. Out at public parks and peeps asking about my 920. Nokia has a winner on their hands if it's generating this much free publicity/buzz!

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by LongLeggs View Post
    Not everyone is on forums like these. People have lives and actually work and have sex with human beings.... may want to look into that.
    You know just because people are on here doesn't mean they don't do anything you've mentioned.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    You know that some people on here do the things you've listed.

I got asked that the other day and I have a RED 920!

You know guys I don’t think it is only Nokia but a mixture of WP8 and Nokia’s hardware that is generates the attention.
    I used a Samsung Omnia 7 for almost two years before one of my damn students hit the phone out of my hand (unintentionally) about a month ago. The phone fell down 5 floors and broke to 1000 pieces. I changed to a Lumia 800, the only replacement wp phone I could get from my carrier, and have been using that since then. Couple of week ago a friend of mine saw the phone when I put it on the table and asked me “oh you got a windows phone 8?” I was very surprised and asked her “what do you mean I have been using WP7 during the past two years and you just noticed it?” she said “what? WP7? Has there been such a thing?”
    So for the past two years she just had assumed that I am using an android phone without even knowing that WP7 existed.
    This shows that even MS is doing a better job this time. And neither MS nor NOKIA/HTC have even started to do any real advertisement in Sweden yet

Quote Originally Posted by dalydose View Post
    I got asked that the other day and I have a RED 920!
    Haha. I got asked the other day and I have a yellow 920.

Went like this:

Coworker: "Where did you get that case?"

Me: "It's not a case. It's my phone."

Coworker: "Wow. That looks cool. Is it the new iPhone?"

lol

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    This is one of the great posts of all time!! Brilliantly done my friend!!