Does Nokia Music REPLACE Xbox Music on Lumias?

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I like that Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive replace the WP8 Maps app, for the most part. However, they didn't cover quite all of the bases: I went to a contact and tapped "get directions," however, and was dumped into the WP8 Maps app instead of Nokia Drive. Bummer.

I also really like Nokia Music, but I'd like to try Xbox Music. Does Nokia Music "replace" Xbox Music in the same way? From the Music & Videos hub I can only seem to find Nokia Music. I can get to the Xbox Music Store, but can't seem to find plain ol' Xbox Music. It's probably hiding in plain sight.

Out of desperation I tried signing up for their 30 day free trial, and then I started seeing "download" buttons in the store instead of "buy," but I just want to stream. I finally found the SmartDJ feature in the store that allows me to stream, but I'm not sure if this was available before I signed up for the trial.

Did Nokia Music replace Xbox Music? Does Xbox Music = Xbox Music Store? Where can I get the ad-supported free Xbox Music streaming?

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I like that Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive replace the WP8 Maps app, for the most part. However, they didn't cover quite all of the bases: I went to a contact and tapped "get directions," however, and was dumped into the WP8 Maps app instead of Nokia Drive. Bummer.

I also really like Nokia Music, but I'd like to try Xbox Music. Does Nokia Music "replace" Xbox Music in the same way? From the Music & Videos hub I can only seem to find Nokia Music. I can get to the Xbox Music Store, but can't seem to find plain ol' Xbox Music. It's probably hiding in plain sight.

Out of desperation I tried signing up for their 30 day free trial, and then I started seeing "download" buttons in the store instead of "buy," but I just want to stream. I finally found the SmartDJ feature in the store that allows me to stream, but I'm not sure if this was available before I signed up for the trial.

Did Nokia Music replace Xbox Music? Does Xbox Music = Xbox Music Store? Where can I get the ad-supported free Xbox Music streaming?
ah.... The music+video is the Xbox music on windows phone.

When you see tunes you want to stream, just press the play button in the circle before the tune name.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Music is kind of an oddball in the US market. In areas where MS does not offer Xbox Music (or Zune back in the day) I'm sure it was / is useful. It certainly isn't a replacement for Xbox Music however. Nokia Music does offer some decent streaming content however.

If I recall correctly Nokia Music wan't even offered in the US when Nokia re-entered the US market.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
ah.... The music+video is the Xbox music on windows phone.

When you see tunes you want to stream, just press the play button in the circle before the tune name.

The only screens I see are:

• "history" (which is full of stuff I've played on Nokia Music)
  • "apps" (which obviously doesn't show Xbox Music)
  • "xbox" (which has SmartGlass, Xbox Music Store, and Spotlight)
  • "collection" (which should be my own, local music, but also has a link to "store")
  • "new" (this has a bunch of stuff on it, but it looks to have some recent things I've listened to and a tile prompting me to connect my phone to my computer; in other words, I have no idea what this screen is showing me.)
None of these seems to offer a way to start streaming a SmartDJ list or a curated list (does Xbox Music even have curated lists?) except maybe "spotlight," which shows a whopping three artists that I have zero interest in. If I truly have to open the store and find an artist to start a SmartDJ, then I would say that is less-than-intuitive. Plus, now that I have a trial subscription, I'm not sure whether you can even do that with a "free" account.

Last edited:

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Music is kind of an oddball in the US market. In areas where MS does not offer Xbox Music (or Zune back in the day) I'm sure it was / is useful. It certainly isn't a replacement for Xbox Music however. Nokia Music does offer some decent streaming content however.

If I recall correctly Nokia Music wan't even offered in the US when Nokia re-entered the US market.

Nokia Music is working great for me - like Pandora or Slacker but without the ads, and with the ability to "offline" a mix should I take a drive up into the mountains! However, I'd like to give Xbox Music a try. I'm not impressed with it on Windows 8, but I'd like to give it a shot on the phone, and I have high hopes for the product in general since it would integrate much better into my "Microsoft Life."

lol...maybe that's the problem. Maybe by getting this Nokia I diversified into a "Lumia Life," which is admittedly different!

timriley

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
One issue I have with playing my .mp3 music files with Nokia Music is that I can't figure out how to 'fast forward' during a song. Has anyone figured this out? Using the Xbox music app, you can press+hold on the forward or back buttons to fast forward/reverse. This doesn't seem to work with Nokia music.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Music is working great for me - like Pandora or Slacker but without the ads, and with the ability to "offline" a mix should I take a drive up into the mountains! However, I'd like to give Xbox Music a try. I'm not impressed with it on Windows 8, but I'd like to give it a shot on the phone, and I have high hopes for the product in general since it would integrate much better into my "Microsoft Life."

lol...maybe that's the problem. Maybe by getting this Nokia I diversified into a "Lumia Life," which is admittedly different!

Getting Xbox Music to work correctly across the board takes a little time and patience to ensure it gets setup correctly from the start. Once it gets setup right it has excellent potential. I am still working to get it setup right. I didn't understand how it worked at first with the cloud index and ended up with a mess.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The only screens I see are:

• "history" (which is full of stuff I've played on Nokia Music)
  • "apps" (which obviously doesn't show Xbox Music)
  • "xbox" (which has SmartGlass, Xbox Music Store, and Spotlight)
  • "collection" (which should be my own, local music, but also has a link to "store")
  • "new" (this has a bunch of stuff on it, but it looks to have some recent things I've listened to and a tile prompting me to connect my phone to my computer; in other words, I have no idea what this screen is showing me.)
None of these seems to offer a way to start streaming a SmartDJ list or a curated list (does Xbox Music even have curated lists?) except maybe "spotlight," which shows a whopping three artists that I have zero interest in. If I truly have to open the store and find an artist to start a SmartDJ, then I would say that is less-than-intuitive. Plus, now that I have a trial subscription, I'm not sure whether you can even do that with a "free" account.
Yes, you need to start smart dj from a playlist, an artist, an album, etc..... It is unintuitive at best. I heard that you can do free smart DJ without a paid subscription, but I always have a subscription so cannot help on that.

My suggestion is to manage your music through Xbox music app on windows 8. Anything you downloaded and playlist created will not be synced to cloud for now. Or just use another service until Xbox music can finally compete one day.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you need to start smart dj from a playlist, an artist, an album, etc..... It is unintuitive at best. I heard that you can do free smart DJ without a paid subscription, but I always have a subscription so cannot help on that.

My suggestion is to manage your music through Xbox music app on windows 8. Anything you downloaded and playlist created will not be synced to cloud for now. Or just use another service until Xbox music can finally compete one day.

An actual answer. Thank you for that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786