Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Josh Mackey
  1. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
       #1  
    i've tried it on 3 different galaxy 3s and it doesn't seem to work. i tried it on a random strangers 920 and it worked fine.

    is tap to send company specific? are we only able to tap each other? i want to tap other phones too.
  2. Necroscope's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #2  
    what are you trying to send? Tap to Send is limited when going cross device.
  3. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
       #3  
    i tried music and photos. the thing is, when i tap the s3, it response to the tap but the item cant be located and it show up as broken codes like "!@#$%^&" (just an example).

    the random stranger i tapped; i tapped him a pic of me and it worked.
  4. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #4  
    i think gs3 uses the android beam and 920 uses nfc. they are like the same thing but may have diff technology that doesnt make them quite compatible.
  5. Beltelmel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JConn_Lefty View Post
    i've tried it on 3 different galaxy 3s and it doesn't seem to work. i tried it on a random strangers 920 and it worked fine.

    is tap to send company specific? are we only able to tap each other? i want to tap other phones too.
    I tried tapping and sending a photo to a galaxy S3 several times and all the S3 got was a few lines of garbled text.
  6. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
       #6  
    same here.
  7. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
       #7  
    yea, i had a feeling. it would be awesome if it worked across all platforms.
  8. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,996 Global Posts
    #8  
    Could be android specific, someone tested a Samsung Windows 8 tablet and a 920 and it worked but an s3 failed. I'll post the link in a bit.

    Here's the link, . Possibly android devices need to be paired beforehand but from this and with my test sending a music file to an Asus Vivo tab I think its not an issue on the 920's side.
    Last edited by theefman; 11-28-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
  9. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Could be android specific, someone tested a Samsung Windows 8 tablet and a 920 and it worked but an s3 failed. I'll post the link in a bit.
    makes sense. i'm walking around my office asking everybody, "are you tap able?" lol...
  10. cbrunn2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #10  
    Only thing you can send across platforms ( Windows and Android) is Websites i'm pretty sure

    Videos and Music only work on same platform
  11. Josh Mackey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #11  
    That would be because Tap to Send uses bluetooth to send binary data.

    NFC is really quite slow (424 Kilobit/second, so 53 kilobytes/second) so in order to transfer pictures or songs, NFC negotiates a bluetooth connection that the data is then sent through. URLs and simple text are small enough to be sent over NFC directly and is thus cross platform. The NFC bluetooth negotiation is WP8 only.
    Thanked by:
    JConn_Lefty likes this.
  12. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Mackey View Post
    That would be because Tap to Send uses bluetooth to send binary data.

    NFC is really quite slow (424 Kilobit/second, so 53 kilobytes/second) so in order to transfer pictures or songs, NFC negotiates a bluetooth connection that the data is then sent through. URLs and simple text are small enough to be sent over NFC directly and is thus cross platform. The NFC bluetooth negotiation is WP8 only.
    nice... learned something new today. thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM
  2. 5 Reasons Why MS is working on Surface Phone | MS Patents
    By andrelamont in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM
  3. Live Tiles not working on new phone
    By mattmagoo in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM
  4. Bing works on one phone, but not the other
    By Thuoudo in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
  5. WP7 App "Torchbear" is going to be developed on iPhone
    By jhousden9 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions