Dust under the front camera lumia 920

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
no matter how hard i try i cant get the dusting trick to work which is good and bad, i assume since i cant get air in there maybe i wont get anymore dust, that is a crappy design though

onetwright

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the dust on my 1st 920 and got it replaced by the Microsoft store for a NIB unit even though I was outside the 14 day window. Great customer service. Just noticed today that my new one has little dust specs starting to gather. It's only been 3 days!

I had a simultaneous issue where my proximity sensor was always seeing something during calls, so the screen was always blank. I couldn't get to the keypad, speaker, bluetooth, or end call options during a call because the screen was black. My hypothesis is that dust had also accumulated on the proximity sensor, but I have nothing to substantiate this idea.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is too widespread to be a particular defect. The way this phone is made allows dust to make its way under the FFC. If you haven't had the problem yet you've gotten lucky, plain and simple. I wouldn't bother with an exchange if this is your only problem.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This is an issue and its inexcusable for a BRAND NEW phone. The second 920 I got had the loose screen, which allowed for the dust to get in. It had a really loud and tacky vibration, and its wouldn't wirelessly charge.

I took it to ATT. Got my replacement. So far none of the above issues. Vibrate is quiet like its supposed to be. It charges wirelessly, and no loose screen/FFC.

gedmurphy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
For all those seeing dust under the camera, soon it will get under the proximity sensor. When that happens, you won't be able to access the screen during calls or see any notifications when they arrive. The dust blocks the light to the sensor and the software thinks it's against your ear so switches the screen off. It's incredibly frustrating....

Parktreeone

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would say that i have had mine a month, I've REALLY Looked after it, and there is a lot of dust under the front lens seems like a design fault to me.

I cant see any sense in taking it back, it's just going to keep on happening. I agree though, its not right.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys I returned my first one, now i'm on my SECOND one and it has Dust in the FFC as well.

And now they are telling me i'm outside of my 14 days... that's kind of stupid.. it should start the 14 days on the new model they gave me... and now i'm stuck?

Call Nokia. It's under warranty with them. They gave you a less than satisfactory product. They'll repair it or ship you a new one. Keep the pressure on Nokia otherwise they'll let poor build quality issues keep on.

Mr_Great

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. The first one was so bad that dust blocking the proximity sensor was making it so I couldnt even use this "top-of-the-line" phone as a phone.

I went through THREE replacements! and they all collected dust at varying rates. So i finally sent it to Nokia for repairs, and guess what? They sent it back saying that all it needed was a software update. To this I obviously replied WTF!? how is a software update going to clean out and seal the area around my front camera? They then told me that it was a cosmetic thing and not covered under warranty.

So I basically told Nokia to F*&$ off, I'm going out tomorow to get an iPhone5. Real shame to have to go crawling back to iphone considering I like wp8 better...

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
My first 920 had dust under the front-facing camera, and a hyperactive proximity sensor. Like many, I found that I could blow on the earpiece, and the phone would work properly for a few days. I finally got sick of blowing, and contacted Nokia--and they requested that I send it in for warranty repair. It's not back yet, but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

In the meantime, I got another new 920. I've had it for a week, and there is absolutely no dust accumulating under the glass. The proximity sensor works fine.

I think that a some 920s went out with defective seals.

gedmurphy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I've tried contacting Nokia over this. They refuse to acknowledge there's a problem.
My phone is no longer usable when being use to make phone calls....

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got a case for mine and I now have not had any more dust in the ffc. I think the dust is getting in via where the thin space around the screen is at the top of the phone. The cases protect that.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have dust in mine and it seems to be getting worse. It doesn't seem to affect the image quality yet. I really don't want to return it. :unhappysweat:

IMG_0863-1.jpg

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has been great concerning this issue. I'm currently awaiting delivery of my second replacement for dust in the FFC. For those affected, have your phone replaced.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has been great concerning this issue. I'm currently awaiting delivery of my second replacement for dust in the FFC. For those affected, have your phone replaced.
This is the response I got from AT&T:
Okay. I just talked to a supervisor for you. They said that even though it is a known issue we have not gotten clearance from Nokia to place it as warrantable. If I did the replacement for you there is a good chance you would be charged for the full price of the phone. I do not want this to happen. My supervisor told me to have you contact Nokia because it is a known issue. They may be able to replace it there. I am sorry about this. I just do not want you to get charged for a replacement if AT&T does the warranty exchange.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
compressed air blow into near the slit above the camera. works every time.
shouldn't have to do this.
lumia 920's biggest design failure is the huge gap between the screen and the body, which is needed for assembly i guess.

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Take it to a corporate store. They'll replace it on the spot if they have the stock. It is clearly a defect. When I went Friday to get a replacement, they didn't have any Cyan in stock, so they had to ship me one.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Take it to a corporate store. They'll replace it on the spot if they have the stock. It is clearly a defect. When I went Friday to get a replacement, they didn't have any Cyan in stock, so they had to ship me one.
I'm way passed my 14 days. I got mine on launch day. I'll try that though.

usernameandi

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I guess putting something like super-glue on any gaps that dust might go through be a possible preventive measure. But would it void the warranty if I did something like this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb