Nokia has pretty damn awesome customer support.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Some of you may remember my recent thread regarding my three defective lumia 920's. AT&T gave up on me, Nokia did not. They've done everything they could to make this right. I'm still a little annoyed that I've had three bad phones out of the box, but at least they came from Nokia. If you aren't familiar with what went wrong with my phones, here's the short version. My first red one had something loose internally that would thump about every time it got turned or jiggled. The second red one went numb every time the phone was plugged into the charger and the power button was sunken into the body, making it hard to press. My third 920, a black one, has bad vibrate rattle and light leaking through the lower right side. If you don't care about the details, a new phone is on the way. If you want to know more, keep reading (I suggest you do, but TLDR will follow).

It began the night I got my black 920. I was angry at how AT&T had treated my situation. They basically flicked me away and told me not to come back, that if the third phone had a defect, I was screwed and they couldn't help me. Well, turns out, the third phone had defects. AT&T didn't want to make me a happy customer (and why would they, I've been with them 10 years and never have they once been easy to work with) so I took some advice from the forum and sent an email to Stephen Elop.

To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)
Subject: Regarding My Disappointing Experience With The Lumia 920

Dear Mr. Elop,

Let me first start by saying how much I love this phone. I?ve been drooling over it ever since I saw those pictures that made their way all over the internet before the official announcement in September. The second I saw that red phone I knew I would be lining up for it on launch day, this was even before I knew about OIS, puremotion HD, etc.

Well, I did line up for it on launch day. I got the red 920 that I had been lusting for, I was so happy. Unfortunately, it just went down hill from there.

I noticed a problem with my launch day device. There was something loose, internally, that would bump about when I tilted my phone or jiggled it. It ruined videos, and just felt funny. I actually took a video from the phone demonstrating this, I hope you can take the time to see it for yourself: Lumia 920 Loose Internals - YouTube

It took me a few days to realize how big of a usability issue it was, so I took it back to the store the following Monday to get an exchange. Unfortunately, they had run out of red 920?s. I didn?t want a black one, so I waited to see if any more would come in. They didn?t. It was 10 days after launch when I decided to hit the internet to see if I could find a store with one in stock, and I did, great! Again, I was so happy. The phone was to be shipped to my local store to be exchanged. At the store, I didn?t see anything wrong with the phone, so I took it home with a grin on my face.

I felt like the most unlucky person in the world when I noticed two defects later that night. The first thing I noticed was that the power button was sunken into the polycarbonate body, it was flush to the device. The second defect (the most bizarre thing I?ve ever seen a phone do, might I add), showed itself when I needed to charge the phone. The screen went numb, not completely unresponsive, but numb. It?s hard to explain, so I have another video for you if you don?t mind: Lumia 920 charging lag - YouTube

I knew I would need to exchange it, again. I noticed AT&T had gotten a new shipment of red 920?s. This, again, made me happy. I called AT&T about the issue and requested a new one be shipped to me. I?ll save you a long and agonizing story, but they wouldn?t send me one. So I went to the store to figure it out in person. Well, because I wasn?t able to get the second phone back within the first phone?s 14 day period (thanksgiving?s fault), they didn?t want to give me anything. They knew I had just gotten the phone two days before, but they wouldn?t replace it. After arguing with them, they agreed to override the rule just one time, with a catch. It had to be the black one they had in stock; and that if I had trouble with this one, there was nothing they could do and I would be stuck with it. Great spot they put me in, right?

Well, I took the offer. This phone has a terrible rattle when it vibrates. Now, if the phone were the right color, I would happily keep it. But I?m not happy with the phone AT&T forced me to take home, so I?m coming to you for help. Frankly, I?m sad at how this has turned out. I dropped $450 on a phone, unfortunately picked the wrong box a few times, and due to AT&T'?s disturbing customer service, got stuck with a phone I?m not happy with.

I do apologize for dragging this on forever, I just wanted to explain my situation thoroughly so you understand my situation and the frustration I?m feeling. All I?m asking for is the phone I paid for- a red 920 without any major defects. Please, let me know if there is anything you need from me.

Thank you,

Steven

I noticed the light leak in the third phone the following night, here's a picture

CS20121127172314-XL.jpg

His response to this was short, but effective,

Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen

He did in fact ask his team to assist, the following was received the next day,

Dear Mr. ,

Good Day!

We have received your complaint from the CEO and we are happy to assist. Can we have the best time and contact number to further discuss your case or you can reach me at ***-***-****

Thanks,

Macy

I wrote her back and set up a time to speak with her about my situation this morning. She started off telling me that "Mr. Elop" had contacted her, explained what was going on and forwarded my email to her. Cool, he did read it. I told her what was going on with my third phone, I didn't know of the light leak at the time of my original email so I sent her the picture I posted above. She let me know that everything I've documented has been sent to the R&D department for... research and development :winktongue:. I mentioned that a few other guys here had the same problem with the loose internals and that someone else had posted a video showing the same lag when charging. She took note of everything I said and told me they really appreciated the feedback. She told me they have been sorting through carrier feedback as well and that they were working really hard to get all the kinks out. This was all really nice to hear. When it came down to "the fix", she told me their stock of colored 920's is completely diminished and currently backordered. However, she said a new shipment would come in within a week and one of my choice would come straight to me. "Before any of them get shipped to anyone, I'll have an email for you saying it's on the way". Awesome! In the meantime she even offered to send me another phone to hold me over. It wasn't necessary in my case, but it was nice she offered.

I'm really happy this worked out the way it did. Not only am I getting the phone I've been drooling over for months, but my feedback is being taken seriously and because of it they're working to fix the problems. It's great to buy from a company that genuinely cares and will do what ever it takes to make the customer happy. Not too sure what else to say but thank you, Nokia, you guys rock.

TLDR:
Me: Hi Nokia, my phones are broke.
Nokia: You don't seem to be holding them wrong, must be our fault, we'll fix it and give you a new phone.
Me: K thanx.

Discuss,

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding.

Nokia is amazing when it comes to this stuff, I have to say.

Of course it would be better if there was never any problem with your phone to begin with, but it's nice to know they go the extra mile and then some to make you happy when there is an issue.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Macy contacted me as well after I emailed Mr. Elop. They're going to be calling me back when a red 920 becomes available, fortunately I can wait as my phone's defects are relatively minor.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Roughly the same events as you. Can't say I'd ever get such great service from Rogers. I picked up my replacement phone last night and already I can notice a difference from my old one. Nokia should be congratulated on how they've been treating customers who have phones with issues.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Roughly the same events as you. Can't say I'd ever get such great service from Rogers. I picked up my replacement phone last night and already I can notice a difference from my old one. Nokia should be congratulated on how they've been treating customers who have phones with issues.

I think this is related to the location. When I went to replace my phone they had none in stock. I had one of the workers lovely girl get in her car drive to the next Rogers dealer, pick up my replacement phone(checked to see the production date was different) drove back and swapped it out for me. So I can't say I agree with you on this poor Rogers service.

However, I also was polite and did not create a scene when I walked in XD

mammaldood

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I emailed Elop and went through all of this, hoping to skip AT&T. They want to send me a new device, but they only have white and black in stock. I'm not willing to part with my cyan, I don't think, although I am pretty fond of the white... but cyan is so unique :/

Guess I'll have to go through AT&T... but they're out of stock so who knows how long it'll take to get a replacement. Ugh.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think this is related to the location. When I went to replace my phone they had none in stock. I had one of the workers lovely girl get in her car drive to the next Rogers dealer, pick up my replacement phone(checked to see the production date was different) drove back and swapped it out for me. So I can't say I agree with you on this poor Rogers service.

However, I also was polite and did not create a scene when I walked in XD

Maybe. I tried the Rogers Plus store I got the phone at as well as phoning their customer support. I didn't make a big scene about it either but the Manager at the store was not helpful at all, he just told me to go to the "Rogers technical depot" to get a quote on what it would cost to fix the phone (which had been in my possession for less than 14 days at that point). I've run into stubborn managers before, and after getting nowhere with Rogers CS I decided to stop wasting my breath and contact Nokia directly. I've had good experiences with Rogers but I've had far more bad experiences with them, this one probably being the near the top of the list.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This is true. I sent my concerns to Mr. Elop as well and I received a positive response from Nokia. Hope to get a new phone soon. Atleast I am happy with the customer service.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has EXCELLENT customer support, even if you don't contact Mr. Elop directly. I had bought a bad Lumia 900 off Ebay that was still under warranty last year and they replaced it without question - they honor their warranties and, though their products do sometimes have defects, they will replace your phone without much hassle.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So yesterday after I came back from France, I went to the ATT store where I bought my 920 and they exchanged it even after it's been a month. Granted, I emailed ATT customer support before my 15 days were over and they had records of this but AT&T really pulled through. It seems though that you need to go through Elop before you get good customer service because the reply I recieved from Nokia customer support really wasn't helpful.

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Why go directly to the CEO? I understand you may be disappointed but it just looks like the teams in place to fix these aren't doing their job...Unless you've worked your way up then email the CEO. Just a thought. Glad you got a response though..

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why go directly to the CEO? I understand you may be disappointed but it just looks like the teams in place to fix these aren't doing their job...Unless you've worked your way up then email the CEO. Just a thought. Glad you got a response though..

I'm curious about this too. I can see if you have exhausted all of your other options, but people going directly to the CEO of a company with a customer service issue seems like overkill. I'm glad he is willing to help get things fixed, but I would rather he concentrate on running the company.

Spdracer

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Nokia support has sucked. I emailed Elop twice and received the same canned response both time. I do understand that the CEO does not have time to email everyone and even getting a response is amazing. Macy called me and I explained my problems. She requested my info and I sent it. Few days later, no response. I emailed again and she asked me for my info again. That was on Nov 13 or 14th. Since then I have heard nothing and I have emailed several times. I did get a FEDEX label int he email, but no info on what I am supposed to send. Emailed asking and no response. So my experience with Nokia leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have both a 920 and 820 and have problems with both. In the last few days my 920 battery doesn't even last 1/2 day and I have nothing running. Even uninstalled Nokia Drive.
Would I recommend Nokia and/or WP8 to anyone else. Not at this time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte