Need Advise for Movers from Android to Lumia 920 (WP8 OS)
11-30-2012 04:56 AM
- I am current user of Samsung Galaxy S III... But, i want move to Lumia 920...
Before i buy Lumia 920, I want some Answer for my Questions... I hope Current Lumia (WP8) user will help me to find INFO about WP8 OS and Lumia 920...
Q1. How is the Basic feature in the Lumia 920? (ex.Call quality, SMS, Email, Internet, Wifi, Download Speed, Speaker Quality... etc)
Q2. I use My SGS3 most for watching videos, and it handle all type of video file format with ease... I know Lumia 920 can handle Avi format up to HD resolution... But, it actually handle all (AVI,MP4,WMV) Video format without any problem up to HD res in real life? (Pls, test it before Answering)
Q3. How is the Windows Store Experience? Are you face any download or Buying apps and games Problem?
Q4. I know Windows Store lack of Premium Apps and Games, and they promised a fix and fill the Store with Premium Apps and Games... But, How fast they are doing? Are you finds New Apps and Games day by day for WP8? Any Suggestion from existing Apps and Games for Lumia 920 to try or buy when i get my Lumia 920?
Q5. How about Music player and Quality of output sound from Device speaker and from Earphone?
Q6. What is best feature in Lumia 920 (by software wise) That not found in SGS3?
Q7. How about Battery? it getting Worst or it can Manageable?
Q8. Are there any Heat Problem, like on Android?
Q9. What are the step should i use to check when i buy lumia 920 from stores?
Q10. My last Question, Ever you feel after own Lumia 920, That you made a mistake or this phone not worth for money?
If Still any Advise or Info i want to know about Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8 os... Pls, Share with me... and Thanks in Advance to all...11-29-2012 01:07 AM
- 1. Excellent, no qualms with those
2. It doesn't support m4a or MOV which is annoying since I moved over from iPhone. If you have bought songs off iTunes you can forget transferring them over unless you convert them all. Xbox music lets you buy mp3s unlike iTunes which would encrypt your face if they could
3. Not as many apps as competing OSs but you can buy apps with paypal and not have to log in every time. You can also set a pin to buy apps rather than a long-*** password
4. I've noticed about 1 half decent game a week but I don't really know tbh
5. Music player needs improvement, especially when wanting to start music from the lock screen which I haven't figured out how to do. Playlists suck
6. Size and quality of screen, camera. The camera is amazing, but be aware that photos viewed on the phone are not full quality, you need to view them on a PC
7. Battery is generally excellent and does me through a whole day (6am to 10pm in my case )with maybe 20% left. There are complaints tho which is usually resolved by disabling Nokia Drive from running in the background.
9. Press the screen's edges and test for creaks
10. No. I will never buy another iPhone again as long as Nokia keep this kind of innovation up
Little niggles that I've noticed with WP8 is that you can't use custom tones for text or IM alerts and as above playing music requires going into several menus which is annoying in the car. App updates are fully automatic, there's no way to check if there's a new update out unless it comes up on the main Store screen.
No banking apps
No data usage apps
No call recording (well there kind of is 1 app but it's rubbish)
Games are expensive, xbox live one's are around 2.29 each BUT Most games and apps have free trials which is excellent and other OSs lack
You still have to be an xbox gold member if you want to message people on xbox live on the phone11-29-2012 06:05 AMLike 1
- Q1: I have been very pleased with all of the basic features. One thing that is a bit annoying is that volume for everything (media, calling, notifications) are tied into one volume level instead of separate ones.
Q2: I don't know the answer to this question
Q3: I LOVE the Windows store experience! I think the interface is really easy to navigate and use. I also really like that most apps have a "try" option as opposed to a 15 minute refund windows or developers posting separate apps. Overall, the experience is at the very least on par with the play store if not better.
Q4: Windows Store seems to have most of the premium apps. They do seem to have a pretty good influx of apps, but I have no hard numbers. You should be able to look at the Windows store online and get an idea for yourself.
Q5: The music player works, it does seem a bit watered down compared to the competition, but the sound quality is fine. This is one area that I've heard that the 8X beats the Lumia 920, though I haven't not compared them myself.
Q6: One feature, that's tough... I will first point out that I have never owned a SGS3, I've played around with other's phones. However, I almost want to say the best software feature is the OS itself. I really like Live Tiles. Live Tiles is a lot like a Notification/widget center, but it only has the Notifications that you actually care about.
Q7: My phone easily lasts the day, I charge it every night while I sleep. Sometimes if I play a lot of games it might not last, but most days it does. Looking around on the forums though, there might be some defective units since there are a decent number of battery life complaints.
Q8: no heat problems
Q9: press the top of the phone to see if it creaks. I would also take a picture with the front facing camera, there are a couple of those that have been defective.
Q10: I have never felt that I made a mistake. I originally went into the Lumia 920 and WP8 just to give it a shot, I wasn't really expecting it to be better than Android. Right now, I wouldn't even consider switching back to Android. The phone isn't perfect, there are some missing features (such as the volume mentioned earlier), but I feel that WP8 is headed in the right direction.11-29-2012 10:01 AMLike 1
- I'm a bit of an audio nerd and a phone having top notch audio quality is hugely important to me..
I easily put the 920 on par with iPhone/Nokia N9 for Audio quality (paired with Shure SE535's) .. If you visit some of the high end audio forums you'll see this echo'd there as well.11-29-2012 10:05 AM
- I too own a S3. I purchased the Lumia 920 on release day from an ATT store. I was excited to try something new, and kept an open mind. The fit and finish of the device is 2nd to none. The software is easy to use. But that's where it ends. The Windows Marketplace sucks. I have used the device for 3 weeks straight now, and I am giving it up and going back to my S3. There was just too much missing that I could do from my S3 that I couldn't do from the 920. I will likely keep the 920 in case something happens and I need a secondary device, but it will no longer be my daily driver.11-29-2012 09:22 PM
- Android has its bugs .. always has .. if you want a phone that is buetiful and works great with an amazing screen and good battery life then the 920 is the one .. now everyone says Windows market doesn't have any apps but I've been using Android for two years and switching to the 920 I've had no issues .. everything I need is here .. I mean you pick up the phone and it works great no tweaking needed .. now if u like tweaking stuff then Android has much more tweakers stuff .. bit I truly believe that the Windows phone is about to blow up because people are sick of the bugs on Android and the restrictions on apple ... For me I'm tired of messing with my phone cause it freezes .. I hate apple because their nazis and force you to be tied to them forever .. so I love my 920 .. cuz its a sexy phone that works and does what I need it to do11-29-2012 09:39 PM
- Have to say, I own a Nexus 7, use it every day and wouldn't change it for the world (it's nice having the app selection that WP marketplace doesn't) and Jelly Bean has some nice touches but it's definitely buggier still than WP8, or WP7.x for that matter. I regularly get apps that freeze, the OS stutters from time to time and overall it seems glitchier on a quad core than my Lumia 920 on a dual.11-30-2012 02:22 AM
- I believe Android for those who like Customize more... and, Windows Phone 8 for those who like Personalize more...
So, i thinking to change my SGS3 to Lumia 920... I know WP8 is lack some feature compare to Android... But, if it getting better time by time than, WHY NOT?
And one more thing, when i buy my 1st Android device Galaxy S than Android is a amature os... and it takes 3 years to get close to perfect and it still lags some time...11-30-2012 04:34 AM
- Windows Phones
- Microsoft / Nokia Phones
- Nokia Lumia 920
Need Advise for Movers from Android to Lumia 920 (WP8 OS)
- By DaveGx in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 5Last Post: 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
- By hubgoblin in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 10Last Post: 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM
- By DogEarsAZ in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 16Last Post: 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
- By wellsmanfu in forum HTC Arrive / 7 ProReplies: 1Last Post: 06-12-2011, 05:27 PM
- By Djeli in forum HTC Arrive / 7 ProReplies: 59Last Post: 03-29-2011, 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD