I'm starting to remember why I left microsoft and went with apple...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
**edit x 2**
rant-mode on.
**edit**
i wasn't being very clear. when i called att, they had me perform the reset process and it didn't work. i understand phones have issues including iphone. my iphone froze on me before but all i had to do was reset it by pressing the two buttons just like the 920. it didn't work.

so i'm on my 2nd 920. the first one acted up starting day one. phone would freeze and when i mean freeze, it would freakin freeze. no way to shut it down. basically, i had to let the battery drain (didn't take much long because battery life was really bad!!!!). tiles wouldn't display any pictures etc... i decided to give nokia/windows 8 another shot because there isn't any other phone in the market i like at this moment. my 2nd 920 has been performing like a champ for the past 2 wks. until last night....

this phone froze on me again!!!! yes, it wouldn't respond to any command what-so-ever (yea i tried everything in the books). also called att and they couldn't help either. i was downloading an app and received a text. the little bar appeared and i touched it. read it. pressed the back button, then boom!!! frozen. the screen wouldn't turn off. i had to let the battery drain again which took a loooooong freakin time because this 2nd 920's battery is much better than my first 920. i went to sleep @ 10. woke up @ 4am and the phone was still on (same screen)!!! i wouldn't be surprised if i burned some pixels due to this.

both nokia and microsoft has been in the mobile phone business for how long now??? even the very first iphone never had issues like this and they were new to the game. i mean, when a phone freezes (and this happens), you have tricks to force the system down and reboot. does nokia/microsoft not know of this??? seriously, wtf nokia/microsoft?? get your **** together.

Last edited by a moderator:

snailium

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Calm down. I had the same experience on iPhone 4S, it just froze to ****. But I never blame apple like the OP does.

Kindly suggest: hold power + volume down to soft reboot.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My phone has freezed a few times as well. Completely black screen and no response that I could tell except the camera button made camera noises. I'm in the middle of exchange process with AT&T. As a temporary fix to get your phone working again, try a reboot. Hold down the volume down and power button at the same time until it reboots.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
so i'm on my 2nd 920. the first one acted up starting day one. phone would freeze and when i mean freeze, it would freakin freeze. no way to shut it down. basically, i had to let the battery drain (didn't take much long because battery life sucked ass!!!!). tiles wouldn't display any pictures etc... i decided to give nokia/windows 8 another shot because there isn't any other phone in the market i like at this moment. my 2nd 920 has been performing like a champ for the past 2 wks. until last night....

this god damn phone froze on me again!!!! yes, it wouldn't respond to any command what-so-ever (yea i tried everything in the books). also called att and they couldn't help either. i was downloading an app and received a text. the little bar appeared and i touched it. read it. pressed the back button, then boom!!! frozen. the screen wouldn't turn off. i had to let the battery drain again which took a loooooong freakin time because this 2nd 920's battery is much better than my first 920. i went to sleep @ 10. woke up @ 4am and the god damn phone was still on (same screen)!!! i wouldn't be surprised if i burned some pixels due to this.

both nokia and microsoft has been in the mobile phone business for how long now??? even the very first iphone never had issues like this and they were new to the game. i mean, when a phone freezes (and this happens), you have tricks to force the system down and reboot. does nokia/microsoft not know of this??? seriously, wtf nokia/microsoft?? get your **** together.

Hold the Volume Down+Power buttons for about 10 seconds to reboot.

The problem is likely a software issue, where the OS doesn't like how some particular apps work.

There has been news of an OS update coming as early as 1st quarter of 2013. I imagine it's to fix some of these early bugs.

Daveola1

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have two 920's. I got the first one on the 9th. The first day I had it, it froze twice. Since that day I have had no problems with it. I bought my girlfriend her 920 on the 20th and it was delivered on Tuesday 11/27. It has been nothing short of a piece of junk. It wont go more than 30 minutes without freezing up or rebooting itself. I have done all of the recommedations I could find online and nothing helps. I understand that MS says there will be a patch out in December for the reboots but I dont think they can afford all the bad press that these problems will bring forth. You would think that if they really gave a damn about WP8 making it they would push out fixes as soon as they find them.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 overheat so badly I couldn't keep it in my pocket. I reset the phone and even reinstalled iOS to no avail. I had to take the phone back.

I had an iPhone 3GS backlight go out. I had to take the phone back.

I had an iPhone 3G with a home button that didn't work. I had to take the phone back.

Apple's not some angelic entity with perfect, never failing, never lemon'ed hardware. Sh*t happens, sometimes hardware has problems.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
My phone has freezed a few times as well. Completely black screen and no response that I could tell except the camera button made camera noises. I'm in the middle of exchange process with AT&T. As a temporary fix to get your phone working again, try a reboot. Hold down the volume down and power button at the same time until it reboots.

yea, i was instructed to do this by att. it didn't do anything. like i said, the only solution was to let the battery drain.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 overheat so badly I couldn't keep it in my pocket. I reset the phone and even reinstalled iOS to no avail. I had to take the phone back.

I had an iPhone 3G with a home button that didn't work. I had to take the phone back.

Apple's not some angelic entity with perfect, never failing, never lemon'ed hardware. Sh*t happens, sometimes hardware has problems.

Tim I suggest you go straight to the apple forum and let them know about this. Something like I'm starting to remember why I left apple and went with microsoft.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

absolutely. i'm not saying that apple is immune to this. but from my experience, it's been better. it had solutions to fix problems. i've never had a phone that wouldn't shut down.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with my first L920, seems like the first rushed units have some bugs in them. I waited a week or so for new shipments to arrive before I replaced mine and the second phone is rock solid.

I think OP just got unlucky with landing two lemon phones. I suggest getting it replaced and ask them to call you when their newest shipment arrives and get it replaced.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
I think it's really hilarious that you let the battery drain instead of just performing a soft reset, as you would on the iPhone.

dude, are you smoking crack?? i did everything att told me and nothing worked. yes, reset was performed. it didn't work. same with my first 920. called in when it froze and they asked me to perform reset. it didn't respond.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Hold the Volume Down+Power buttons for about 10 seconds to reboot.

The problem is likely a software issue, where the OS doesn't like how some particular apps work.

There has been news of an OS update coming as early as 1st quarter of 2013. I imagine it's to fix some of these early bugs.

ok, maybe i wasn't being very clear.

i called att and they had me do the reset and it didn't respond to ANYTHING.

which part do you people not understand??

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it's really hilarious that you let the battery drain instead of just performing a soft reset, as you would on the iPhone.

I hate to say it but OP is right. My first phone became unresponsive too 5 times and nothing worked. Took me 20 minutes fiddling with power and soft reset buttons to bring it back to life so please don't assume user error here.

I am not defending OP nor do I agree with him but I experienced the same thing. My replacement L920 on the other hand is flawless :)

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Calm down. I had the same experience on iPhone 4S, it just froze to ****. But I never blame apple like the OP does.

Kindly suggest: hold power + volume down to soft reboot.

jebus... hold power + volume down to soft reboot is not a secret. i knew of this when i had my first lumia. it didn't work. same thing with this 2nd 920. it didn't work.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* I'm sorry your phone isn't up to your expectations. This is the first iteration of a new phone. We can't tell you anything other than that. Why do you think Apple is on the iPhone 5 and it is still more or less the same? They would have issues too. In fact, the iPhone 5 from what I've heard is quite the mess too. Meander over to the apple forums and see for yourself. I'm sorry your phone is not working, I would not be happy either but these people are attempting to be helpful. If you're going to be this way, step out and come back in when you're clear headed and not seeing red.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* I'm sorry your phone isn't up to your expectations. This is the first iteration of a new phone. We can't tell you anything other than that. Why do you think Apple is on the iPhone 5 and it is still more or less the same? They would have issues too. In fact, the iPhone 5 from what I've heard is quite the mess too. Meander over to the apple forums and see for yourself. I'm sorry your phone is not working, I would not be happy either but these people are attempting to be helpful. If you're going to be this way, step out and come back in when you're clear headed and not seeing red.

We had 40% return rate on the iphone5's in the first two weeks of its release. I work for a wireless carrier which I will not name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb