Pictures do not open automatically in email

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I cant see any setting to allow pictures to open automatically in my emails, for example, when i receive an email from ebay, i have to select 'download picture' to open them manually. Is there a setting for them to open with the email?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
MS does that in all their email apps (Outlook, outlook.com, W8, WP) as a security measure. Also saves data if you don't care about said email content.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
MS does that in all their email apps (Outlook, outlook.com, W8, WP) as a security measure. Also saves data if you don't care about said email content.

Yes but in outlook there is the option to always download pictures if you wish. Come on MS, give us the choice!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't really find this all that annoying, really all it takes is one tap on the screen to bring them up.

Agreed, it's a non issue for me and I'd prefer not to use the data by default unless it's a pic or a file I need to open. How hard is it to tap the screen to open guys?

Caikems

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't find an option for it either. I'd like to have the option as well, but I will say that if they aren't giving us a choice I'm glad they made it require a click. As an IT staff member for a school district, I constantly get emails from teachers with all their "cutesy" signature images and such. It'd destroy my data lol.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
How hard is it to tap the screen to open guys?

Yes, but how easy would it have been to have at least be given the user the option to 'auto open' or not?

Also, whilst on the subject of user options, when i tap to make a telephone call, why would i want the 'history' page come up first??, my preference is for the keypad to first appear and i have no choice but to make another tap to select the keypad...........not the end of the world, i know, but why no user option in the settings?

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, whilst on the subject of user options, when i tap to make a telephone call, why would i want the 'history' page come up first??, my preference is for the keypad to first appear and i have no choice but to make another tap to select the keypad...........not the end of the world, i know, but why no user option in the settings?

I believe the thought behind this is that you call some of the same people/family on a regular basis. Example, I call home in the evenings when I'm on the night shift to tell my 6yr old goodnight. I will do this 3 or 4 nights in a row. For me, seeing the history is more convenient. Unless you're using your phone for a lot of business use, where you're calling different customers/clients from call to call, you too probably will see the benefit of the default history view.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I believe the thought behind this is that you call some of the same people/family on a regular basis. Example, I call home in the evenings when I'm on the night shift to tell my 6yr old goodnight. I will do this 3 or 4 nights in a row. For me, seeing the history is more convenient. Unless you're using your phone for a lot of business use, where you're calling different customers/clients from call to call, you too probably will see the benefit of the default history view.

I can see where this 'default' is a benefit to some people, but not to me......i would prefer to go straight to keypad with 'history' as a 2nd choice.......i just dont see why it is not in a settings menu.

On a positive note....after 1 week of ownership my 920 is perfect in every other way, it lasts a day and half on battery, doesnt heat up, its not froze up on me (yet) the vibrate is not rattling, and i dont have dust under the casing, etc, etc. :excited:

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I like options. The way it is does not bother me tremendously, but I would like the choice. The choice I would really like is the one that auto-downloads for approved senders. That is how I have it set in Outlook on the desktop. That way, spam doesn't get automatically downloaded, but anything I read regularly does get downloaded.

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Outlook doesn't download images for security reasons. When you receive a spam mail once the images are downloaded it verifies to the spamming server that your email is an active email account. And I agree, there should be options to open the phone app to the page that you want.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Outlook doesn't download images for security reasons. When you receive a spam mail once the images are downloaded it verifies to the spamming server that your email is an active email account. And I agree, there should be options to open the phone app to the page that you want.

but at least include an option to classify domains, or senders as "safe" so that future emails open up images automatically.

jedwardmiller

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Same logic applies to live tiles? What if everything on our phones took one extra simple, quick little tap?

but it doesn't so i don't have to imagine if...all i have to do is press the little icon and download only the pictures on emails I care about. I see all of your points, but an all or nothing approach is not always good either. With auto-open you destroy data no mater if you want the pictures or not, with no auto-open you only use the data for the emails you want pictures on and only download that much data each time. It is so fast that it is a non-issue and I imagine that is what they were thinking when they put it together.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys clicking to download images .. I don't see this option at all .. Its kind of a bummer because I get a lot of emails that require pushing a button in the image but I don't even see a link where the image link should be

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb