Love my Lumia 920 but

nic comino

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Received my 920 on Thursday. Unboxed....very excited.....switched on......screen looks amazing......swipe, swipe, tap, tap, swipe.......joy........FREEZE! Hmmmm....check the net for possible issue.
3 minutes later phone responding again.
30 seconds later.....FREEZE!
2/3 minutes later phone responds.
30 seconds later.....FREEZE!

And so on and so on and so on.

I then get an idea: Place phone on ice pack from freezer. Worked beautifully for over an hour. Installed apps, and updates - wonderful experience.

Removed from cold source.......2/3 minutes later......FREEZE!

There's your problem Nokia.
Phone becomes unresponsive when certain temperature reached. NOTE: Phone did NOT feel too hot to the touch.

Friday.....sent back for exchange. I hope this doesn't continue for several handsets!
Peace

hoskoau

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My first WP and first post here.
Battery life was my only concern until I researched and found all the "tips". The 2 you posted being the main ones.

I'm stunned by this phone. Amazed by the hardware build quality. And the OS is far more impressive than expected.

By the way, each charge seems to last a bit longer. I'm sure it will plateau soon.

I'm in the exact same situation, I knew something with the NFC wasn't working because the audible alert for the NFC kept going off even when I wasn't trying to pair, battery life was terrible. Turned of NFC, still have Nokia drive working in the background and I'm getting 24hrs between charges with moderate usage.

Of cause using the screen is going to drain the battery the most. It does take a long time to charge the battery but its a very big battery. Not that it really matters to me as long it can last a whole day with the wireless charging it will charge when I set it down of a night and when I'm at my desk at work.

dalsmavsfan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm just using my phone as a secondary camera phone for now. I'll contact Nokia in a month or two and send the phone in for service. Too many issues dealing with battery life and random freezes. Hopefully an OTA will come out and fix some of the issues. I guess these phones don't get tested unless we are the guinea pigs.

theshawn5

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had my 920 for 14 days and just exchanged it for an android Samsung Galaxy Express yesterday. I liked the 920 but the battery issues and glitchy stuff just became too much. I love the android customization options, charged it last evening and still have 58 percent left after using it the same as the 920. Like that it has a removable battery and micro sim expansion too. Definitely a bigger learning curve with this phone vs. the 920 but I'm glad I made the switch.

I wish microsoft had done more homework before bringing this phone out and I might have stayed. A great phone in some aspects but I just didn't trust owning it long term right now.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Had my 920 for 14 days and just exchanged it for an android Samsung Galaxy Express yesterday. I liked the 920 but the battery issues and glitchy stuff just became too much. I love the android customization options, charged it last evening and still have 58 percent left after using it the same as the 920. Like that it has a removable battery and micro sim expansion too. Definitely a bigger learning curve with this phone vs. the 920 but I'm glad I made the switch.

I wish microsoft had done more homework before bringing this phone out and I might have stayed. A great phone in some aspects but I just didn't trust owning it long term right now.
lol ouch ..... That's a bit of a downgrade, even with issues.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The more I read about the problems with the OS, the more I think that WP 8 is in fact a "1.0" software, not 8.0 ... porting Windows NT to mobile phones was always going to be a challenge, so you just have to be patient, I am sure Microsoft is working on a lot of updates.

If you are in fact all the way up to 8.0 ... there shouldn't be any stability issues, or such inconsistent behavior. Its very likely that WP7 is in fact more stable than 8... my Lumia 900 was rock solid.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Combination of overheating and freezing could be bad hardware. Replace it as soon as possible. My WP8 on my Lumia 920 is as stable or more than the Lumia 900 with WP7.5

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Frankly speaking, I think, we need to get used to the phone heating from time to time. Not just Lumia, but other phones too, unless they heat up all the time.
For example: I have iphone 4S, it also heats up in certain apps or certain processor intensive tasks like turn by turn navigation,etc.
It also heats up on the screen side, if you are talking on phone for a long time.

I don't own Lumia 920, but I think, heating is a common thing for phones nowadays. I may be wrong though.

Agreed. I have an iPhone 4 (at least until my Lumia 920 gets here via UPS) and had a 3GS before that. Both would heat up while using certain apps; like Angry Birds or while watching YouTube videos for a few hours straight. It's normal for phone CPU's to give off heat. It's still an area of concern as there are cases of phones starting fires when not given proper ventilation. i.e. Sleeping with your phone under your pillow while listening to music. In fact, my iPhone 4 once shut itself down after overheating. (I took a screen capture of that. I'll post it once I find it in my archives.)

Point is, a number of today's superphones heat up with use. Don't worry too much about it. :)

dalsmavsfan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalled Nokia drive battery stayed at 100% over night. I don't have anything running in the background and LTE is off WiFi on.... Interesting.

Marshalix

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the black 920 and was pretty disappointed with the battery life/heat issues, even after disabling just about everything (which I think is a ridiculous solution... I bought this phone for these features). Fast forward a week... I exchanged for a white model and all issues are gone... Battery life is incredible... Like use it heavily all day and still have 60-70% left around 10pm incredible. Personally I think if you are having problems you should hold att and Nokia responsible and not cripple your brand new device in an attempt to give it some minimally acceptable battery life.

boatsnbeaches

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I think people are misunderstanding the overheat/battery problem. It's not like a complaint of short battery life and disabling xyz will fix it. This is RANDOM BUG/DEFECT. Like most that are experiencing this problem, the battery life is actually pretty good MOST of the time. The problem is sometimes the phone will spontaneously heat up, which of course drains the battery.

It is random and I believe any hard reset/fix is just a coincidence. Again, it's not a matter of 'bad battery life'. It's a real problem with some phones. I still believe the bug lies within WiFi and/or BT. Still hoping Nokia/MS will fix soon.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Marshalix, now that you have your new phone without the battery issues did you disable anything or are you using it right out of the box with good results? I have a black 920 and I'm having the typical battery issues, I've disabled a bunch of things in order to extend the battery life and it seems to be working. I guess I'm wondering if I try to exchange the device (maybe get a white one like you) will I be able to use all the features and still get good battery life? It's a shame that we have to turn off all the advanced features to stop the phone from eating up the battery very quickly. What's the point in having NFC, Nokia Drive, etc if you can't use them?

nextbgates95

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Irvin, I know we talked in the other thread. I tweeted NokiaCare and they suggested turning off push email. Not an ideal solution for a smartphone, but my battery was great over the weekend with no idle heat. I just set it to check hourly. I'd try that until they can get a software update out.

The only problem I have now is that I got dust under my front camera :(
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
same here, and now Nokia support is telling me my phone is out of warranty........um the phone has only been out less than a month, how is that even possible? And I got this phone directly from Nokia , its my 4th handset.

If you have had 4 phones - just stop. Get something else. You are just wasting yours and Nokia's time at this point.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When you buy a phone you need to charge it full and drain it full and charge it again and do the same for 3 times when it's new, it really helps to get battery last longer. My friend has iPhone 4 and he's been using it like for 6 months and these charges and drains helped him to improve the battery life too. Maybe you all should try it? All my phones last long, like for all day with heavy use

dalsmavsfan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Marshalix, now that you have your new phone without the battery issues did you disable anything or are you using it right out of the box with good results? I have a black 920 and I'm having the typical battery issues, I've disabled a bunch of things in order to extend the battery life and it seems to be working. I guess I'm wondering if I try to exchange the device (maybe get a white one like you) will I be able to use all the features and still get good battery life? It's a shame that we have to turn off all the advanced features to stop the phone from eating up the battery very quickly. What's the point in having NFC, Nokia Drive, etc if you can't use them?
I believe you are right.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
For those still having battery issues, how many of y'all have the Skype Preview installed? I had that and was getting 'poor' battery results (only getting 10 hours or less on even the lightest of use days). I uninstalled the Skype Preview and my battery problems disappeared. I'm now able to go almost 20 hours on 'normal' use with my phone.

BTW - I have nothing disabled on my phone - Location services, bluetooth, and NFC are all turned on.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My phone was fully charged as of 7:00 AM this morning. I have NFC disabled, nothing running in the background except for AccuWeather, suggestions disabled, screen set to low touch sensitivity, and one push email account (Gmail set up as Exchange). Location services and bluetooth are on.

I've made one short call this morning and checked the phone randomly to see the battery level. As of right now the battery is down to 89%. It doesn't make sense to drop over 10% without really doing anything over 4 1/2 hours. Yesterday I let the phone drain down to basically nothing and then let it charge back up to full overnight to see if that would help.

I love this phone but I'm afraid to use it because of the battery issues.

Marshalix

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I purposefully left everything enabled on my new white 920. I have multiple email accounts Facebook, twitter, Skype, drive enabled in background, NFC on, Bluetooth on, WiFi on. I set up the new phone from my Microsoft account and have all of my previous apps installed plus at least two dozen more. In total I have at least 100 apps. Despite all of this and all functionality being on I still have 100% battery life this morning after 3 hours off charger. This is completely typical battery life for this new device which I have been using for the last 5 days. Also there is no dust under the screen, or in the camera or light bleeding around the screen like my black model had.

Moral of the story is... There is such thing as a fully functional and defect free Lumia... Which leads me to believe there are hardware problems with some of the first production runs.

I loved this phone before... But now that its working as advertised I believe it is the best phone on the market right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12