New users to Nokia and Windows 8

tweety1982

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Got my nokia the other day. First of im really happy with the phone though it is pretty big. But ill get use to it. I have some general questions that i think other users might also have for someone who is brand new to the wp8 world and nokia. I came from the Iphone world.

1. Can you turn the phone on any other way then hitting the button on the right and swipping the lock screen?

2. Can you get a popup asking you about joining a wifi network, or you have to go into settings and connect that way?

3. Is there not an app that shows you the weather on the lock screen

4. Closing programs, is there any other way to close programs then hitting the <-(back) button on the program, really annoying ex. closing down Explorer after you browsed for a while as you have to hit the back button many times until it final closes

5. Can you swipe between programs or do you have to hold down the back button to see what other programs are open

6. Can you change the keyboard layout or update it? i keep hittin the return button when im trying to hit the backspace button

7. Can you have your ring volume high but when people send ur sms and other stuff at a lower volume, still want to hear it but just lower?

8. Backing up phone - I know the phone backs up sms and photo, but does it back all your settings contacts and everything? so like if you got a new version you just plug it in and its identitacl to the old one.

Thx guys!

really appriciate the help, and im glad to be a member of the WP8 world :)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
1. Can you turn the phone on any other way then hitting the button on the right and swipping the lock screen?

Hold the camera button down. When the camera app opens, you can either use it or press the windows key. This can be disabled in the options

2. Can you get a popup asking you about joining a wifi network, or you have to go into settings and connect that way?

Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced > "Notify me when new networks are found".

Nothing yet for non-HTC devices. We have to wait until someone creates a weather app exclusively for WP8 and also has lock screen options

4. Closing programs, is there any other way to close programs then hitting the <-(back) button on the program, really annoying ex. closing down Explorer after you browsed for a while as you have to hit the back button many times until it final closes

Nope, sorry. If you're in IE, I recommend hitting the new tab button, hit the big X on the tab (or tabs) listed there, then IE will be completely blank. Then hit back once and it's completely closed - no need to hit back dozens of times if you've been surfing for awhile. MS didn't design WP to have programs closed so this must be why it was designed this way. They designed apps to be suspended in the background until the system determines when to close them (such as when more than... I think it's 8 or 12... apps are "open" at once)

5. Can you swipe between programs or do you have to hold down the back button to see what other programs are open

You have to hold down the back button to be able to see and swipe to other apps. No other way that I am aware of.

6. Can you change the keyboard layout or update it? i keep hittin the return button when im trying to hit the backspace button?

Nope, sorry.

7. Can you have your ring volume high but when people send ur sms and other stuff at a lower volume, still want to hear it but just lower?

Nope. I am a big proponent of MS allowing the OPTION to give us separate volume controls (sometimes it's nice having "one volume control to rule them all", but not always!!) but we just have to keep voicing our opinions (windowsphone.uservoice.com helps) and hope they implement it sooner rather than later. Or ever.

8. Backing up phone - I know the phone backs up sms and photo, but does it back all your settings contacts and everything? so like if you got a new version you just plug it in and its identical to the old one.

Your contacts will always be backed up, particularly because they are always saved to the cloud. Some settings are saved, some aren't (i.e. choosing whether you want your phone to roam or not, and tap+send settings do not appear to save) but all your apps reinstall themselves and all your accounts that were linked to the phone will prompt for individual passwords on one convenient screen. In-app settings and login information is not saved, AFAIK (maybe WP8-specific apps can be designed that way, but I do not know the specifics). I just restored my phone a little while ago and I made a thread about it here, if interested.

im glad to be a member of the WP8 world :)

So am I. I came here from Android, myself. I've been a proud owner of a Lumia for the last 2 weeks

BrownxGoblin

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Got my nokia the other day. First of im really happy with the phone though it is pretty big. But ill get use to it. I have some general questions that i think other users might also have for someone who is brand new to the wp8 world and nokia. I came from the Iphone world.

---You can go into settings to let you know when a wi-fi is available. It works flawlessly imo---
---Good point, not that I know of. Certain apps will let you know if they can be added to the lock screen (such as bloomberg) How nokia and msft are paying attention to their consumers (very pleasing actually), feel free to let them know through the feedback feature.---
---press the "window" button will take you right back to your livetile screen. You can hold the back button for a few seconds and it will show you your last 7 applications you were in so you can go that route as well.

---go to "settings" then swipe to the right, then enter "background applications." Set it to your peferences. For conserving battery, make sure to not allow nokia drive to run in the background.---
6. Can you change the keyboard layout or update it? i keep hittin the return button when im trying to hit the backspace button
---not that I know of.--
--if I am correct msft/nokia will fix this early next year.--
8. Backing up phone - I know the phone backs up sms and photo, but does it back all your settings contacts and everything? so like if you got a new version you just plug it in and its identitacl to the old one.
--many cell providers actually provide this feature online. I know att does. You can also plug your phone into your computer and back it up.

Thx guys!

tweety1982

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Guys thx so much for the answers!
Regarding question 8. i guess im just use to how your iphone was totalled backed up on itunes on your computer, thus if you got a new one or something you could plug it in and it would have all the information from your last backup.

But anyways, THX again guys!

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thx guys!

Ok i'm going to try to help the best i can.

1.No, that i know. Basically the button does the same as in all phones and swiping up to reveal your home screen is a Windows thing only. In android you swipe in the lock screen but it can be up,right,left.etc.
2. Go to settings ,Wi-fi, advanced, check notify when new networks are found.
3. I don't understand clearly what you mean by "is there is not an app that shows the weather on the lock screen" You can go to settings,lock screen, Choose apps to show you a quick status.
The apps that you choose will show you if you have any notification on the lock screen (emails, missed calls,messages etc)
4.Some apps have the quit option or they ask like The World of Redbull App, if not i think this is the only way.
5.There are certain features of the OS that you have to use swipe but I think Windows phone is not that much about swiping is more about scrolling.By holding the back button is the only way to see your open apps.
6. You can install more than one language and you can use the phone on landscape if portrait is difficult to you. I don't know if there are any apps for what you ask. I think that coming from IOS is a matter of getting use to.
7.I think the maximum volume for texts and calls is 10, for video and music listening is 30
8. Besides backing up the sms and photos the way you mentioned . The phones back up the apps you download to the cloud and your contacts every time you add one it gives you the option to add it to either hotmail, gmail, yahoo whatever accounts you have on the phone.
If you reset your phone when you sign again with your microsoft account all the hotmail contacts that you had previous resetting appear automatically, then when you sign your mail all the contacts from your mail appear, then when you add your facebook account all the people from your facebook is added and so on with tweeter etc. You can also save them to your sim.

Here you can see your purchased apps ( you can download them again if you reset the phone or buy another phone and use the same account) Sign in in the right of the page where the phone is.
Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Here you have some tutorials too, some of the old ones are for Windows phone 7 but they are very similar to Windows phone 8 :
Windows Phone Videos - YouTube

If i was short or wrong in any of my answer somebody hopefully will correct or add more and Welcome to the Windows Phone Family!!!! :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb