Lumia 920 bricked after wireless charging

usengyap

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I recieved my free wireless charger 2 days ago. Immediately i opened up the box and start using it.
i saw that my phone is charging. So everything was good, then i left it there for 2 hours.

After that, i noticed that my phone was off. Then i tried to power it up. But it can't. My phone is bricked!!!!

Anyone see the similar issue? Any advice?

Thanks.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I recieved my free wireless charger 2 days ago. Immediately i opened up the box and start using it.
i saw that my phone is charging. So everything was good, then i left it there for 2 hours.

After that, i noticed that my phone was off. Then i tried to power it up. But it can't. My phone is bricked!!!!

Thanks.

plug it in with the regular charger and see if it turns on?

if not, hold the power button alone for 2, 5 or 10 seconds and see if anything shows up on your screen?

alikokce

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks.

Wow.. Thats sounds scary.. I will receive my charging plate today and now worrying about it too. Cuz I recently exchanged my 920 cuz it got bricked after a restore. Dunno, but hopefully it won't do the same thing to my phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If that doesn't work, hold down the power+volume down buttons for ten seconds. That will be the equivalent of a battery reset.

What apps do you have on your phone?

I think that Windows Phone 8 does have some stability issues depending on what apps are installed on the phone. An update (Apollo+) is coming next month I think.

usengyap

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! u guys are awesome.

I try the volume down + power button. Now it finally can power up.
But right now, it seems a bit weird. I plug in using wall charger (non wireless), the charging icon keep on flashing... I don't recall I see that before. if it is charging, the icon should be just static.
Now the icon keep on flashing... man......

Anyway, thanks for all the helps I got... this forum is awesome! :)

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! u guys are awesome.

I try the volume down + power button. Now it finally can power up.
But right now, it seems a bit weird. I plug in using wall charger (non wireless), the charging icon keep on flashing... I don't recall I see that before. if it is charging, the icon should be just static.
Now the icon keep on flashing... man......

Anyway, thanks for all the helps I got... this forum is awesome! :)

The battery icon (in the top right corner) flashes on mine when its on charge, this is normal.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I just had the EXACT same thing happen last night. Let phone sit on my new wireless charger and it shut off and would not respond at all.. Held volume down+power for about 15 seconds and it came back... Scary stuff.

Also noted when wireless charging it was getting very hot. Something doesn't seem right.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've also had the phone get really hot when charging wirelessly. Is that expected or does that only happen for some 920s? I wonder if the 'bricked' state is after a shutdown due to overheating.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I've also had the phone get really hot when charging wirelessly. Is that expected or does that only happen for some 920s? I wonder if the 'bricked' state is after a shutdown due to overheating.

that was my initial thought. I hope the heat isn't standard as consistant heat is a key element to decreasing battery performance.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish people would know those simple button combinations before shouting the bricked mantra here. Button combinations have been the norm since first iPhone and 1g ipod touch across all devices.

As far as the issue goes it could also be related to the random reboots that Windows Phone 8 has had.

Harry Ola

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Every time I have left my 920 on the wireless charging plate for any length of time, it has frozen on the black screen and can only be woken with a soft reset (hold volume down + power button). This is definitely a wireless charging problem because I charged it the old fashioned way last night (with a wire) and it was fine this morning.

Any chance this will be fixed in a software update, or does this sound like a hardware problem?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is related to wireless charging specifically. People have had this issue happen without being on a charge cycle. Just today I checked my ema9l, set the phone down (not on a charger), and when I picked it up again about ten minutes later it was unresponsive. Had to do the power and volume down trick. Thinking this is an issue with WP8.

Harry Ola

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine has only frozen when it has been sat on the wireless charger for any length of time.

I note that the manual says remove from the charger when charged, so I wonder if Nokia anticipated this problem?

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I left my phone on the wireless charger for four hours today (charging from about 75 percent). When I woke up from my nap, everything seemed fine. Both charger and phone were cool to the touch. The phone does get a little warm when charging, but I haven't done a full, all out charge (from twenty to thirty percent to full charge) as of yet.

Hearing the horror stories about wireless charging does give me feelings of trepidation, so I'll just continue to tread lightly.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...haven't received my wireless charger yet and now I'm wondering if I should use it when it arrives. I keep a wired charger at home and at work so I'm wondering if I need this headache. I've had my 920 for a few weeks now and have yet to have any rebooting or screen freeze issues.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I use the charging stand and simply put my phone on it every night when I go to bed and pick it up after I get up. Hasn't frozen yet. I think it's related to the freeze issues and hear there is a fix coming. As for removing from the charger when it's charged, well, I'm just not going to do that. My stand stops charging when it full (the light goes out). And I have used it during the day when I first got it, never even got warm. The heating would worry me. I hope you guys don't have defective units because not all of them heat up.

octavian90

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got my wireless charger yesterday, left it charging overnight, and woke up to a "bricked" phone. Vol down+power worked...should I switch units?? If only some units are doing this, maybe this is defective? Or is there a software fix coming?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So every time I charge mine via wall charger, the OS gets super sluggish. I'm worried now that as soon as I do get a wireless charger, I'll have to deal with this :/

Harry Ola

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just an update on my situation. Not had any freezes since the first time I charged it with a wire. Now when it sits on the wireless charger and reaches maximum, the charger turns off. I got the wireless charger with the phone, so I had never charged it with a wire before going wireless. Don't know if this is related or not, but would explain why I have had problems and people who got their chargers after 2 weeks have been OK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077