Nokia Lumia 920 turns off by itself

CyCl0n3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Same for me, got mine from Germany with Vodafone Branding.
Every night i put it on charging Pad and in the morning its dead and i only can rewake it by pressing volume down + on/off button.
Then i have to put date and time again. Very annoying. Yesterday i put it into flight mode during the night and it DID NOT FREEZE OR DIE at all.
So it mus be realated to some connections. Ill try flightmode today again. This should definitly be reported to Nokia/ Microsoft!

David Cheang

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Update. My lumia switched off 2 nights ago. I did a hard reset as advised by dealer. Did that yesterday and reinstalled all apps. So far so good. If it switches off again will be exchanging for a new one.

Pandasam

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem too, everyday for about an hour it reboots itself about 10 times, then it's fine for the rest of the day. But it affects my texts and calls too, texts I receive won't show up eventhough I'll have a notification and texts I send disappear so I don't know if they have actually sent. Also had some problems with brightness just switching down to low by itself and the time and date disappearing from the lock screen :/ Rang t-mobile about it and I'm getting a replacement today which better be ok as this will be my 3rd one now, the speakers on the first one were broken. If this one messes up they have said they won't replace it though, so fingers crossed

CyCl0n3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay so i tried it again. Putting it into Flight mode / offline doesnt switch the phone off during the night while on charging plate.
Phone Online and it switches off.
I have no idea why this could be.
Any bright ideas?

David Cheang

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Update to above. Had done hard reset as instructed by the tech helpline of Phones4U. It switched off again about 3 days later, that's after I synced about 5 gb of music, ?coincidence or maybe it can't take so many in one go. I had it exchanged at a local store 2 days ago and reinstalled everything I had on previously including Skype, Drive Beta. Been using it 2 days no issues. Not synced any music yet. If it's fine by a week then I'll try sync some albums but cautiously.

David

Last edited:

David Cheang

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
been nearly 1 month with the exchanged model. No switching off. Did reboot once when I was doing a lot with it. Happy so far. Received my free wireless charging pad and will be getting a phone stand for the charger and phone to use it as my bedside clock at night. Fooya....

PeterFnet

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I had my 920 lockup while using apps and while in standby. Each time, I had to do the 2 button soft reset to bring it back to life. I took the phone back for a replacement. I still had the same problems, but then decided to wait for Portico since it was supposed to help with random resets. The update didn't help.

I talked to Nokia Support and Windows Phone support on Twitter. They both said mostly the same things: uninstall apps, disable background tasks, contact app developers, etc. I'm a developer myself, though not for Windows Phone. I fail to understand how any marketplace app can crash an OS. It should just crash the app if an exception goes unhandled. Support insisted this is possible and I should contact each developer to have them correct the problem.

As a last resort, support told me to hard reset. Unfortunately, that put the phone in an unusable state with the "spinning gears" screen. I saw a posting here on how to flash a ROM to fix the problem, but decided that RMA was my best route. If there are other problems, I don't want to mask it by doing something that voids my warranty.

I don't have any answers, but I can tell you that my Lumia 900 was more stable.

Yarrumc

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have also had this problem. I believe I had to do to a hard reset 5 times since getting my phone. I do have the latest updates. I only notice this when it has been sitting; not on a call or in use.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MY phone turns off completely by itself even though the battery is full. That is not the only problem. WHAT IS WORSE IS THAT I CANNOT START THE PHONE NORMALLY BY PRESSING THE POWER BUTTON.

This has happened to me twice now overnight...

The first time the phone was on the wall charger overnight and in the morning I had to perform a soft reset to wake the phone up and the second time the phone was at 100% charge that night and off the next morning - performed a soft reset - phone is now on and shows 95% charge so it was not a "battery drain" issue.

...frustrating.

G24T

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I was experiencing this problem as well. I have found that switching off location fixes this issue.
Hope this helps others experiencing this problem.

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem because i was using samsung s3 charger. After switching to nokia supplied lumia 920 charger, problem is resolved. Please try to use nokia supplied charge and see if this problem is resolved or not.

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem because i was using samsung s3 charger. After switching to nokia supplied lumia 920 charger, problem is resolved. Please try to use nokia supplied charge and see if this problem is resolved or not.

I just bought my Lumia 920 last Saturday and i'm using the supplied charger, my phone started shutting down/rebooting itself today!

Spudlin

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have experienced this same problem of my Lumia 920 switching off on it's own and needing soft reset to restart.. My observation is that it was happening only after recharging the battery. Switching off the phone and switching it back on after recharge seem to have solved my problem.

novo_again

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Worst phone I ever had.
Hey people, do not try to understand why it turns off, you are simply not lucky enough - Nokla just gave you a piece of sh@t.
Worst phone.

The greatest thing turns me crazy is that Nokla does not even recognize the existense of a problem.
Hey all, it is time to switch OFF from it.

Shure admins will delete this post.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Three times now...in all cases the Nokia supplied wall charger was being used. Only seems to be happening when I use the wall charger and not the wireless charger.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Three times now...in all cases the Nokia supplied wall charger was being used. Only seems to be happening when I use the wall charger and not the wireless charger.

UPDATE - happened for the fourth time and took the phone to the local AT&T store where they could not get the phone to boot at all. AT&T is sending a warranty replacement. I was hoping that they would have some Yellow Lumia 920's by now to replace my original Yellow Lumia (this will be my third 920).

If this handset does the same thing I am really starting to think I am going to have to purchase additional wireless charging stations as all of my lockups have been while charging using the wall charger...

CrossPoint

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
After the install of Portico update I start experiencing unexpected shutdown more or less twice a day. It is very annoying because I have to setup date and time every time. Moreover I can not rely that the phone works when it should be. I can not return anywhere - that's why it is mine forever :-( I don't know what to do. I really like the phone but such behavior is totally a mess. I re install (reset phone from OS) it today but it happened again. Please, give me any ideas what to do ... should I uninstall all applications and to see what will happen or turn off location service (which is really unpleasant because a lot of applications and etc. are using this functionality) or what ...

Please, help me. If I can not solve the issue I will buy a new phone and will never return to windows and nokia again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs