11-30-2012, 06:06 PM #1
- 56 Posts
Ok, here I am, your basic noob, with some pretty basic questions:
First, thanks to someone for posting that just uploading all my contacts to my Live! account would be the easiest way to get them to transfer, that worked like a charm. Connection with LinkedIn and Facebook helped as well. Here are a few issues I have though that I'm hoping or some assistance:
(1) The Windows "Sync App" frankly sucks. Windows Media Player also seems to choke on my home library (it's about 34TB on network storage on a NAS, I don't need it all, but I can't seem to get it to see but bits and pieces). Moving in and out playlists, albums, etc. to the phone seems.. convoluted. Anyone have a good method for this or a good piece of software that actually does it? As much as I loathe iTunes, it's easy organization of all my audio did work.
(2) I'm unsure of how to keep track of what apps on my phone need updating.. when/where.. I just had the 920 picked up today, and I went through the list of apps on my phone from the Nokia collection, and offered to redownload them and it showed "update" Is there a way to setup this update where it downloads the apps in advance on a PC to sync later, or is there a way to do the updates in a batch? How do I handle that process?
What apps are considered "must haves"? I've grabbed my really must have apps (Audible and a few others) but I'm interested in what apps are out there that you'd throw out.
11-30-2012, 06:53 PM #2
- 339 Posts
I can't help with your first question as I don't manage my music on my device, I just stream whatever music I feel like listening to.
As far as keeping track of updates,if you pin the marketplace to your start screen, it will update with how many apps have an update available. When you go into it, you can hit update all.
My must have apps(im not sure which ones are available on WP8 as im still on my 900) are Amazing Weather, Mehdoh, metrotube, wpcentral, my stocks portfolio, nextgen reader, tv show, and 4th & mayor.
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM #3
- 56 Posts
- 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM #4
Sadly, I think iTunes is your best bet right now. There's some software called MusicBee which seems to do a pretty good job, but it requires you to reorganize your library, something I wasn't keen on doing after years of living in iTunes.--
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM #6
- 15 Posts
I agree that the sync app for WP8 sucks atm, for WP7 we used Zune, which worked really really well for me. unfortunately Microsoft wants to move away from zune and build something new, Zune will not sync with a WP8 device. what they've done in the mean time is give a stop gap app that is really just in beta. I really hope they get the final app up and running soon.
Like JPDVM2014 said, if you pin the store app to the start screen, it'll show a number on the tile for every app that has an update.
I've found that the initial preloaded "Nokia apps" are a bit different though, it seems more like they've put the links but not the actual apps on the phones (at least for some of them), so when you try to open one it tell you a bit about it and then give you the option to download it.
Even though technically it seems to be on the phone I would word it as kind of being in a limbo state, there but not there, which is probably why you haven't been prompted that there are updates available for those specific apps.
the nokia app list isn't too big, so I just went down the list and "installed" or updated everything I wanted.
now I get the nokia app updates like I do with the rest of em.
- By hasasimo in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 545Last Post: 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM
- By aewatsonsr77 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 4Last Post: 10-30-2013, 05:18 PM
- By azdenn in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM
- By richard451 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 5Last Post: 11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
- By btdvox in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 9Last Post: 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM