Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
    No question. WeatherFlow is definitely the cause of this. I had the exact same situation and the remedy was to uninstall Weather Flow.
    +1 for Weather Flow, it looks great, but killed my live tiles, took two days to fix and for my tiles to start working again.

Since the Portico update, third party tiles only update when I open the apps. I haven't tried reinstalling yet, but I have tried re-pinning and disabling background tasks. Sort of sucks the life out of Windows Phone to have Dead Tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by tboggs13 View Post
    Since the Portico update, third party tiles only update when I open the apps. I haven't tried reinstalling yet, but I have tried re-pinning and disabling background tasks. Sort of sucks the life out of Windows Phone to have Dead Tiles.
    If your live tiles stopped refreshing automatically after the Portico update (like mine did), please follow the steps I mentioned here to see if it helps: Post Portico: How to get live tiles working again

No Portico here and my tiles are still dead.
    Almost a year since that Flipboard announcement...

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti Bob View Post
    No Portico here and my tiles are still dead.
    Same. No Portico and as it happens no weather flow! Lumia 820 been solid for 3 week and now suddenly no live tiles update.. I won't run for the door yet but this is testing me! How long can one remain loyal!? Microsofts main advert for WP is the personalized live tiles, unique to the user. As others are saying what good is a static bunch of icons. With no notification centre either having to go into each app to see if you have updates is beyond ridiculous! Smart phones?? Right now, there is nothing smart about them!

Must be OS. Sort it MS otherwise the users growing our market will wonder what the **** they swapped for.

Tiles not updating means you're not getting notifications pushed to you.

Try a soft reset. Make sure you have a network connection. If you're on wifi, it's possible you can't connect to the notification server(s) thru the wifi connection.

I have some form of activity going on now! Some tiles like words by post, and wonder reader seem to be updating again. Facebook messages tile on the other hand isn't updating still :( (few days ago was spot on).

Also, of interest I have in settings > background tasks an app called didlr which says "blocked" with a tick for "start when next open". Issue is, I open the app and I guess nothing starts as it still shows as blocked. I seen this before on met weather app too, in the end got rid of that app anyway. Anyone witnessed this? Mean anything?

The whole Windows Phone 8 OS has a syncing problem. Microsoft needs to address this so 3rd party apps can work properly. If not, these 3rd party apps can cause the phone to reboot, Locked up, and other functions not to work properly, like, Live Tiles, and ect...

Same issue here. UK unlocked 920. Was for for a few days and then started randomly crashing / rebooting. Last night when it crashed the time / date was reset to September and live tiles (wpcentral, bbc, battery meter, etc) have all been pretty much dead since then.

This close to going back to the green robot :-(
  10. NXH

It can't be just the WeatherFlow app that's causing this, becaus I do NOT have the WeatherFlow and I'm having the same issue for the past few days.
    sirgrant618 likes this.

If a particular 3rd party app is not refreshing its tile automatically, try doing this:
    Uninstall that app,
    Clear IE history and cache,
    Do a soft reset using the power and vol down buttons,
    Reinstall the app.
    These steps were suggested to me by the WP support team and they worked for me. I was having the same problem after installing Portico.
    Thanked by:
    camilo897 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aaa6112 View Post
    If a particular 3rd party app is not refreshing its tile automatically, try doing this:
    Uninstall that app,
    Clear IE history and cache,
    Do a soft reset using the power and vol down buttons,
    Reinstall the app.
    These steps were suggested to me by the WP support team and they worked for me. I was having the same problem after installing Portico.

Just did this about an hour ago and its working, so far. Saw it from your earlier Post Portico thread. Thanks!
    Sent from my smart computer.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I had exactly the same issue. I went from having a totally stable Lumia 920 to the exact opposite after the update. The first symptom was that Bluetooth suddenly dropped and would not be enabled until I rebooted the phone. Next, the phone started randomly freezing (requiring a soft reboot). Given the stability I had for a few weeks, I uninstalled every app I installed the day the phone and the freezes seemed to stop. However, every live tile I had stopped refreshing. I went straight to a factory reset because I thought that it may be necessary to have a clean slate after the update. It's been close to a day and everything is running fine. The apps I uninstalled to stop the freezing were The Weather Channel and Yelp, so I don't think they were the problem as I did not read any reviews from other users with similar issues.

I'm a big fan of WP8 but one of the things that swayed me to move from iOS was that I read how fluid and stable WP was . While WP8 is incredibly smooth and fluid, it's proving to be extremely unstable (as compared to iOS) I can live with the fact that a few of the iOS apps I have are not available for WP8 and that the app quality on WP8 is lower than on iOS. However, I've never had an iOS device randomly freeze up on me or even crash and reboot. Also, given the lack of a unified notification system, the live tiles are a necessity rather than just being nice to look at. If I abandon WP8 it will be because it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, not because I've got unrealistic expectations about what it can to.

Also, thanks to the users for the tips on restarting live tiles that stop working.....far easier to do than a factory reset :)
    Thanked by:

That didn't work for me, will have to hard reset just like in WP7. So much for evolution.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I just bought MetroTube and Weatherflow today, and neither live tile is working. My other Live Tiles work but not sure whats going on with those two
  16. NXH

Deleting the history of internet explorer (IE) fixes the issue. I did not have to reboot or do remove the tiles or uninstall and then reinstall any of my apps.

All I did was deleting the history of the IE and every tile is updating now :)
    camilo897 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip. Was about to say power off or reboot, but maybe this is a new option.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

PIN
    No
    My live tiles also quit working on my 920. Restarting didn't do anything. Then I went to show off one of the apps that used the camera and it didn't work. I did a soft reset and that fixed the camera issue. Later that evening, the camera didn't work again (Nokia lights or something like that). I did a reset and discovered this morning that the live tiles started working again! Strange. Hopefully they stay working now.

Did a hard reset, nothing else worked.
    Almost a year since that Flipboard announcement...

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    To understand what's a live tile is , it's a program that runs periodically and has a maximum (1-2 days) lengths then it'll stop updating, Its important for this process for you to open tiles that matters to you so it could restart that timetable and provide you with new updates .

So to sum it up , Open the app for any tile at least once a day and it won't stop updating .
    Happened to me yesterday and lasted until today. What fixed the problem for me was going into background tasks and disabling all live tiles I have active - but selecting to reactivate when reopening the app.

Global Posts
    1,638 Global Posts
    Mine have been very sporadic the last few days. The usual fixes (rebooting, disabling background tasks in setting and reopening app) aren't working. To be honest, I thought this kind of crap was over with. Very disheartening.

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Having same issues now. Weatherflow and battery not updating. Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by aaa6112 View Post
    If your live tiles stopped refreshing automatically after the Portico update (like mine did), please follow the steps I mentioned here to see if it helps: Post Portico: How to get live tiles working again
    It didn't require anything so dramatic. I have rebooted the phone twice, but the third time they started working again with no further issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabkawe5 View Post
    To understand what's a live tile is , it's a program that runs periodically and has a maximum (1-2 days) lengths then it'll stop updating, Its important for this process for you to open tiles that matters to you so it could restart that timetable and provide you with new updates .

So to sum it up , Open the app for any tile at least once a day and it won't stop updating .
    Background agents for tiles have a time period of 2 weeks before they will be blocked automatically if the app is not opened up within that time.

For those that are having issues with live tiles, how many background tasks do you have running? For WeatherFlow, they say that if you have more that 6 the live tile will not update correctly. Also tiles can only update in minimal intervals of 30 minutes, this is restricted by the OS, don't expect them to update real time.
    Thanked by:
    wjhunt 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast