Live tiles not updating

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I currently have two battery apps installed and its the same issue. I have to open the app and then close it for it to refresh on my home screen.

1. Battery Level for WP8
2. Battery Info

I have the same situation with my weather app as well, which is titled "weather"

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I'm am rehashing

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I performed a reboot by turning power off and on. My battery kicked up from 6 hours left to 11 hours left and has not strayed away.

However, the live tiles are still not updating and only when I open the app and close it, is when it does a little countdown animation and goes to whatever the percentage is supposed to be

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have lots of live tiles not working, a reboot makes no difference. the main email tiles update with a number, but that is about it, weather, facebook, battery, bbc, all don't seem to work, they update once when pinned to front page and that's it, anyone else having this problem to this extent? Any fixes? It's a shame as it would be great if they did work.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Try blocking the background tasks and select "Turn background tasks back on for this app the next time I open it". Also try removing the apps from the start screen and re-pin them. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall the apps. If that doesn't work, throw the phone in the trash can (I kid, I kid). :p

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as of 2 days ago. Fuse would update the live tile no problem. Same with My Stocks, Amazing Weather and a few others. I also have to now open the app and resfresh it manually. I have the battery app installed as well and if I have it plugged into the charger the battery % wont update on the lockscreen until I open the app.

Tried to re-install and re-pin the apps. Tried blocking/unblocking apps. No change. Hard reset is out of the question.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me, just one not performing now, weather app, all the rest working well. Cheers for your help :)

Gazlar

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from a HTC 8X and I can confirm that apps that did have live tiles working on the 8X do not seem to work on my lumia. I have tried rebooting and I have tried blocking and ticking "Turn background tasks back on for this app the next time I open it" but nothing seems to work.

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Something wrong in application settings? Power-saving mode on? And if I remember right, if you don?t open app in two weeks, background task will go off.

Gazlar

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I got the lumia 2 days ago :)

Since blocking and ticking "Turn background tasks back on for this app the next time I open it" 1 or 2 of the apps work when I go back into them like hot7deals.uk but Weather Flow will not update live tile.

Just updated to the new version which can interact with the lock screen and that part works but not the live tile. This app worked fine on the 8X.

cbixby

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue... Not sure what it was that caused the problem, but none of my live tiles are working anymore? I get text and email updates but no live tile updates? Anyone else experiencing this?

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I think the issue is with WP8 OS. My Kik Messenger live tile has an update success rate of probably 0.1% (maybe less) when a new text comes in. I probably have received about 1000 text since, and got the red badge to show a new text maybe 10 times. Oddly enough, toast notification is 100% accurate. It's the live tiles that has trouble getting updated.

More recently though, even opening the Kik app immediately after a toast notification, there's a long delay for the actual message to appear. Sometimes it doesn't appear for 10s of minutes later. I don't think WP8 OS is up to par when it comes to the live tiles. It's just too erratic, and it randomly fails. I can only count on toast notification, but only if I can actually hear the notification. And of course, there's no history.

I sent a support ticket to Kik, and they blame Microsoft for the poor capability of the live tiles and the way toast notification interacts with apps in general. The app, in this case Kik, has to poll the server for the new text EVEN THOUGH a toast notification containing the new text was already sent. It seems toast notification + instant update on the app is a huge limitation on the WP8 OS. It appears the background app CANNOT update itself after a toast notification BEFORE the user launches it. Ideally, the user should see the text immediately after launching app rather than having to waiting for a few seconds.

1. Toast notification = 100% right on target
2. Live tiles = hit or miss, random, erratic; sometimes work, most time don't

WalkerHall

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I was having the exact same problem as the OP with the same apps (Battery Level for WP8, Weather) Nothing suggested here served to get the tiles to update without opening the apps. I bit the bullet and did a hard reset. All are working now. It stinks, I know, but that is what fixed it for me. I did not restore the phone upon resetting as I was worried that some setting I had changed was causing the tiles not to update and the restore would simply create the same problem again. (I went a little crazy making settings adjustments the first week.) I had to manually configure my accounts, but going to Windowsphone.com and going into my phone was an easy way to put the apps back that I had previously installed and wanted back on the phone.

one6o4

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have the same issue. But, I noticed this really started after I installed Weather Flow (which is beautiful).

Prior to installing Weather Flow I had over 9 active background agents and all of my live tiles were updating regularly, but Weather Flow had a warning that came with it asking for no more than 6 active background agents to be active for the live tile to work. I disabled the extra ones but that didn't do anything.

Since installing Weather Flow, I've had none of my Live Tiles populate automatically. I've uninstalled apps, removed them from the home screen, blocked and re-enabled the Background agents and rebooted my phone several times. Nothing has helped. I even uninstalled Weather Flow and replaced it with Amazing Weather HD but the issue seems to persist.

The Live tiles I currently have are 'TV Shows', 'Amazing Weather HD', 'My Prayers', 'Weave', 'Gas Buddy', and 'Battery Level for WP8'. They are all the full or paid versions (with the exception of Weave), and they all worked fine prior to installing Weather Flow. (With the exception of Amazing Weather HD which I just installed.)

Is a hard reboot really the only effective way to fix this?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss