Those with Developer Lumia 920... Need some help!

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So I bought a Dev Lumia 920 used off eBay since I'm using T-Mobile and need the 1700mhz band.

I turned it on today for the first time (again, the phone is used so this is the first time for me) and briefly the AT&T logo appears...

The phone has AT&T live tiles too so now I'm starting to think I was bait-n-switched...

However the IMEI number in device settings matches the IMEI on the Dev box and the phone is missing the AT&T logo at the top left. I can prove it with pictures, lol.

So anyone know what's going on with this phone? Looks Like I have Dev hardware but AT&T software?

I've done a hard reset and the AT&T software stays... am i stuck with AT&T software?

With a T-Mobile SIM the phone makes calls, but only lets me access EDGE speeds...

Any insight is appreciated!

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Check the box to make sure it is the variant 920.3 and it has the "DEV" word written on it as well as the AWS band 1700_2100. If it is, go to setting and check to see the name of the phone. It should be 820_nam_roger or maybe dev (I don't really remember). There is no way the dev phone has AT&T boot screen unless it has been flashed with AT&T firmware. Right now there is no confirmation that flashing different variant to the phone will effect the frequency like enable or disable, so it's hard to tell if you just put the sim card into it. The next thing you want to try is to follow this post to see it actually has the AWS band and using it or not.
Determining the 3G frequency being used - xda-developers

If not, then contact the seller and ask for detail. By the way, check the content of the box. Dev box will only come with USB cable and that's it. No earphone or AC adapter.

P/s: If it turns out to have been flashed with AT&T firmware, you can go to xda section Lumia 920 dev to follow the instruction to flash back Rogers firmware.

hfcas

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The firmware of the dev version is rm-820_nam_canada_246.probably your phone has been flashed with att firmware as mentioned above

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Check the box to make sure it is the variant 920.3 and it has the "DEV" word written on it as well as the AWS band 1700_2100. If it is, go to setting and check to see the name of the phone. It should be 820_nam_roger or maybe dev (I don't really remember). There is no way the dev phone has AT&T boot screen unless it has been flashed with AT&T firmware. Right now there is no confirmation that flashing different variant to the phone will effect the frequency like enable or disable, so it's hard to tell if you just put the sim card into it. The next thing you want to try is to follow this post to see it actually has the AWS band and using it or not.
Determining the 3G frequency being used - xda-developers

If not, then contact the seller and ask for detail. By the way, check the content of the box. Dev box will only come with USB cable and that's it. No earphone or AC adapter.

P/s: If it turns out to have been flashed with AT&T firmware, you can go to xda section Lumia 920 dev to follow the instruction to flash back Rogers firmware.

Box says 920.3, Dev Kit, 1700_2100, etc. And the IMEI number in settings matches the box BUT the phone also says AT&T in settings, lol. I'm 100% sure it's a developer box, and if the phone matches the box it must be dev hardware.

It must have been flashed with an AT&T rom.

I can confirm, if this is indeed a dev phone (and all signs point to that it is) that with an AT&T rom that the AWS bands are disabled. The only speed I can get on T-Mobile is EDGE ("E" in the top bar)

The firmware of the dev version is rm-820_nam_canada_246.probably your phone has been flashed with att firmware as mentioned above

Is this firmware available? I was reading the rom flashing thread on XDA and it seems like the closest I can get is the Rogers? I'd really prefer an unbranded setup and put the phone back to original condition.

Thanks guys for your help... kinda frustrated here, lol.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
At this point, your best solution is to go with Rogers. Otherwise, you will need to contact Nokia directly and ask them if they can reflash the phone to original.

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but with the Rogers tethering problems...

Where do you think I should ask first? Nokia support seems like it wouldn't be the fastest way... maybe I'll tweet Elop, lol.

There isn't a way to get a copy from someone who already has a Dev device?

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but with the Rogers tethering problems...

Where do you think I should ask first? Nokia support seems like it wouldn't be the fastest way... maybe I'll tweet Elop, lol.

There isn't a way to get a copy from someone who already has a Dev device?
Email Elop is more efficient to get faster respond and I would recommend to do it.

There is no way to extract a firmware from a current device. You need to find the firmware file to flash it into the device.

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I can't find RM-820_nam_canada_246 anywhere.

I tried to flash to RM-821_ROW_DeveloperDevice_VAR251040_Black_V2_Black but that won't work because the device is RM-820.

Then I tried an RM-820_Rogers_Canada flash because the Rogers phones have use of 1700mhz and it worked to get the phone started but still no T-Mobile 3G.

Damn, lol.

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The only solution I got from Nokia Experts was that I need a new phone, lol. They don't give out the original firmware even to developers apparently. I game them my IMEI and I was told I'd get a call back when a new device was available.

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You are lucky, I?m from Argentina and I dont know what to do....

Try contacting Nokia Experts. They have a website for developers that you can sign up for then create a ticket about the problem. I can't remember the URL off hand. They can look up the IMEI # of your phone and give you advice.

That's all I can really suggest at this point because I have a phone I can't use either, lol.

What is the different on the dev version?

Main difference is AWS 1700mhz band like with Rogers phones, except they're unlocked and unbranded to begin with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)