Buying 920 unlocked for use on T-Mobile (Refarmed Area)

Rack0

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I am living in a refarmed area. For example, I am currently using an iPhone 4 on T-mobile that picks up a 3G signal. Where would you recommend that I pick up a Lumia 920? Also, if I buy now will it eventually become completely unlocked (assuming they release the codes down the line)?

Thank you very much for your time.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I am living in a refarmed area. For example, I am currently using an iPhone 4 on T-mobile that picks up a 3G signal. Where would you recommend that I pick up a Lumia 920? Also, if I buy now will it eventually become completely unlocked (assuming they release the codes down the line)?

Thank you very much for your time.
Right now your best choice is to to pick the international version (920.1), not the AT&T. This variant will come unlocked by default and will support 1900 Mhz. But be careful with this as it won't support AWS band LTE later when T-Mobile starts enable LTE.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I would go ahead and buy the AT&T version like I did. It is only $449 cash. Ask AT&T to unlock it, or find a way to do it online. You'll be browsing in no time.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I would go ahead and buy the AT&T version like I did. It is only $449 cash. Ask AT&T to unlock it, or find a way to do it online. You'll be browsing in no time.
Good luck with that. There is no chance that you can find an unlock method at this time. AT&T won't give you any code until the exclusive ends.

Rack0

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... So it seems like there isn't really a consensus as to which model would be suitable for right now as well as when all the devices get unlocked? I would really prefer the 920 to the 8X, but I am just afraid of locking myself into some slow bands with T-Mobile...

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you get the international version, it will be unlocked and will work on T-Mobile's 3G, but it won't work on T-Mobile's future LTE network.

If you get the AT&T version, you won't be able to unlock it for another 5 months, when their exclusivity ends. But it's cheaper.

I personally don't care about data speeds since I don't have a data, and I'm almost always with wifi connection so I'm getting the international version. I would go with the international version if I were you. Or buy a Lumia 810.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
That is good news.... what is T-Mobiles LTE frequency/band going to be? 1700?
AWS band is the combination of 1700 and 2100 like their 3G. Without one of them, you will not be able to use full speed 3G or LTE. Lucky the Rogers has these frequencies so don't worry, it will work.

Rack0

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
AWS band is the combination of 1700 and 2100 like their 3G. Without one of them, you will not be able to use full speed 3G or LTE. Lucky the Rogers has these frequencies so don't worry, it will work.

So it seems like Rogers is really the only future proof option right now?

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So it seems like Rogers is really the only future proof option right now?
Yup as for now. If AT&T can give out unlock code for their phone or there is at least a service that can unlock it, we can see if it actually has the AWS band but being disable due the AT&T firmware by flashing the Rogers firmware onto it.

Rack0

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yup as for now. If AT&T can give out unlock code for their phone or there is at least a service that can unlock it, we can see if it actually has the AWS band but being disable due the AT&T firmware by flashing the Rogers firmware onto it.

Not to get too far off the thread topic, but is there anyone out there pursuing something like that? Are there any groups trying to unlock it independently similar to iPhone unlock / JB efforts?

Last edited:

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Not to get too far off the thread topic, but is there anyone out there pursuing something like that? Are there any groups trying to unlock it independently similar to iPhone unlock / JB efforts?
Each phone has different unlock method to deal with. For example, iPhone can unlock by code or using a modify sim like Gevey. However, most Nokia phones can be unlocked by code only. So to do it, they need to have a database or at least an algorithm to generate the code from the IMEI. All the unlock service that people have been trying to get it is using the database that probably from Nokia or Rogers or maybe it has been leaked partially. An algorithm to crack the code will be a challenge as it is a secret from OEM, so unless someone can leak it, it won't happen.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I live in a refarmed area too and I had purchased an AT&T 920 with the hopes that I could find a way to unlock it. After trying my best to get AT&T to unlock it (and failing), I sold it... mobileunlocked.co.uk is optimistic they'll have unlock codes at some point but I didn't feel like waiting.

I've also found that TMo's refarmed 1900 HSPA+ hasn't been the most reliable of connections, so I decided to preorder the unlocked Rogers 920 from Negri. The way I see it, pentaband UMTS is always preferable and the fact that it'll support TMo's LTE when that goes live is bonus points. Downside: only black is available and I dunno when it'll actually ship...hoping before Xmas=/

Rack0

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I live in a refarmed area too and I had purchased an AT&T 920 with the hopes that I could find a way to unlock it. After trying my best to get AT&T to unlock it (and failing), I sold it... mobileunlocked.co.uk is optimistic they'll have unlock codes at some point but I didn't feel like waiting.

I've also found that TMo's refarmed 1900 HSPA+ hasn't been the most reliable of connections, so I decided to preorder the unlocked Rogers 920 from Negri. The way I see it, pentaband UMTS is always preferable and the fact that it'll support TMo's LTE when that goes live is bonus points. Downside: only black is available and I dunno when it'll actually ship...hoping before Xmas=/

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had the same experience with regards to T-Mobile's refarmed area... It will switch in and out of Edge / 3G on my iPhone fairly frequently. I really hope mobileunlocked.co.uk or someone gets a hold of those codes. I would love to get my hands an unlocked pentaband....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs