Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63
Like Tree21Likes
  1. VisceralMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #1  
    As someone expecting his first Win phone next week (Lumia 920), I find myself cruising the Windows App store and wondering if, despite the apparent strong sales and enthusiastic response to the L920, are we kidding ourselves into thinking that any real surge in App development for the Win Phone ecosystem is right over the horizon? I want to believe....
  2. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    561 Posts
    #2  
    Are there any that you're wanting but don't see, or are you just responding to the sheer number?
  3. VisceralMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #3  
    Just the observation that the market appears a bit sparse right now. I knew this going in, but confronting it when looking around is a tad different. Heh.
  4. Loiselle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #4  
    With the exception of a few keys apps for me (Instagram, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, and perhaps Pandora) I'm not at all concerned with the "lack of support" for the ecosystem. With Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 sharing the same kernel, apps will start to flow in very soon. Then, maybe, this whole "lack of apps" excuse will be gone.
    Cingular (2001-2003) - Nokia 5190 > Nokia 3360
    Nextel (2003-2007) - i1000+ > i90c > i720 > i830 > i275 > i860 > i870
    AT&T (2007 to Present) - Treo 680 > iPhone 8GB > iPhone 3G 16GB > Moto Q9h Global >
    iPhone 3G 16GB > iPhone 3GS 16GB > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Focus > HTC HD7S >
    Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920 > Nokia Lumia 1520
    cardinalryan likes this.
  5. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,479 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,659 Global Posts
    #5  
    A little of both, I think. We'll never have an Android- or iOS-sized marketplace. However, as Microsoft builds on - and promotes - the platform, we will see more app developers adopting Windows Phone. It remains to be seen if the platform will capture the big-name commercial developers or not, though.
  6. jedwardmiller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    #6  
    Trust me...you don't want the size of Android or iOS markets. They do have a number of good apps but....Holy Moly are there some useless apps or what!!!

    of course all markets will eventually have their share of useless apps. The only thing you​ should care about is if it has the apps you want to use.
    philpeeps and aubreyq like this.
  7. Davidkoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #7  
    I am not really missing any apps to begin with.
    ealexand#CB likes this.
  8. sasha055's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #8  
    I'm actually surprised by the lack of apps. After 2 years of wp7 (go go samsung focus) my wife switched to Iphone5 (lumia was too big for her) and even though she hates IOS, we both noticed that Apple app store has waaaay more good games.
    My kids have a lot of choices to play on the iphone, and on my lumia games are sparse.. good thing they have N4S in there:)

    I really hope that app developers will start writing games for WP8 soon.
  9. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    647 Posts
    #9  
    Instagram and Flipboard would be huge for me. And no, Fhotoroom doesn't suffice cause no one I know is on it. And I heard Weave being mentioned as a Flipboard alternative. I've tried it and its just nowhere the functionality and aesthetics of Flipboard
    cp2_4eva and phatboy66 like this.
  10. trivor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    #10  
    I still see a HUGE lack of apps from the commercial businesses - banks, credit unions, sports (Football, Baseball, Hockey). Two of my credit unions do not have WP apps and none of my sports teams have WP apps. Until WP gets to a critical mass (8-10%) I don't think the businesses are going to put programming resources (especially smaller players like credit unions or smaller regional banks) against WP or even the new BB 10. We can argue until the cows come home about whether these are important to you - I know they are to me and can't consider WP until they have more of these types of apps. I think that MS has left an opening for BB 10 to actually have a prayer to succeed since BB still has more Market share than WP.
  11. SteveISU's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,076 Global Posts
    #11  
    I just want Citibank, dropbox, Tunein Radio, United Airlines.
  12. ALpHa.Q.RoUgH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    349 Posts
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    I still see a HUGE lack of apps from the commercial businesses - banks, credit unions, sports (Football, Baseball, Hockey). Two of my credit unions do not have WP apps and none of my sports teams have WP apps. Until WP gets to a critical mass (8-10%) I don't think the businesses are going to put programming resources (especially smaller players like credit unions or smaller regional banks) against WP or even the new BB 10. We can argue until the cows come home about whether these are important to you - I know they are to me and can't consider WP until they have more of these types of apps. I think that MS has left an opening for BB 10 to actually have a prayer to succeed since BB still has more Market share than WP.
    Agreed Microsoft is just a niche device in the mobile world. They came way too late when everybody is already established and comfortable with either iOS/Android. Microsoft "May" be able to make it... But I don't see BB or Amazon's OS or anybody else being a big player unless they bring something entirely new.
  13. Blkacesvf41's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    938 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I just want Citibank, dropbox, Tunein Radio, United Airlines.
    +1 on tune in, that app is huge for me and can't wait to get it.
  14. ColeHarris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #14  
    I just want more fart apps.
  15. snakebitten's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #15  
    Don't have a crystal ball. But I don't suspect a "commited" Microsoft would fail. They show all the signs of being serious about 8.

    I just have to be patient.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    A little of both, I think. We'll never have an Android- or iOS-sized marketplace. However, as Microsoft builds on - and promotes - the platform, we will see more app developers adopting Windows Phone. It remains to be seen if the platform will capture the big-name commercial developers or not, though.
    Regarding the quantity of apps and comparing it to IOS or Android i have to agree with you.
    Microsoft is focusing more on quality over quantity. Majority of apps in IOS and Android are repetitions of another. Microsoft don't want that to happen. That's why our marketplace is going to have less but better apps.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
    Don't have a crystal ball. But I don't suspect a "commited" Microsoft would fail. They show all the signs of being serious about 8.

    I just have to be patient.
    All depends on the developers , they are the ones that could make it happen
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkacesvf41 View Post
    +1 on tune in, that app is huge for me and can't wait to get it.
    In the meantime you can try this one..
    WP8 Radio | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:
    rmeigs likes this.
  19. lennyk1313's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    84 Posts
    #19  
    Coming from both Apple and Android, as for me, I am between 80-85% set with my apps. There are still some that are missing, but the main ones are there.
  20. SteveISU's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,076 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez View Post
    In the meantime you can try this one..
    WP8 Radio | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

    Wow thanks! Found my station! Still would like Tunein. :)
    Thanked by:
    ibbyj and Alex Rodriguez like this.
  21. Bruce Abbott's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #21  
    I switched from iOS to WP8. I'm hoping there are many others like me and that this will attract those developers. I also have faith that the correlation between Windows 8 and WP8 will be enough to convince developers to come to the platform. I am sold on the solid hardware and "Modern UI", I just need the developers to be sold too.
  22. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #22  
    I think Windows 8 will be a catalyst. If you look at it as of right now, it looks bad. IOS has an established foothold and Android has gained popularity in the low-cost phone and tablet market as well as the high end.

    But things can change quickly in the consumer market. One part of me thinks that IOS and Android have so much momentum that they are now unstoppable. Another part says that Windows 8 is going to be unstoppable and that Android will get pushed out because it doesn't have a decent desktop counterpart and Android has a number of issues (legal and otherwise).

    We'll see, I don't think it's a done deal either way. iPhone5 hardware is limited in my opinion due to screen size, price and proprietary crap. Android is limited due to fragmentation, with Samsung and Nexus devices being the two big flavors (forgetting amazon for a moment).

    The Windows 8 game engine availability will change things, but it's going to take a little bit of time, probably a couple months, but I think we'll see a steady stream of apps from January; including Pandora
  23. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #23  
    I have everything I need except Citrix receiver, and that'll be along before too long. Personally Im not the least bit concerned. Microsoft has wisely ensured the future of WIndows Phone development by making great developer tools and more importantly, by making it very simple to develop an app for the Windows 8 desktop and Windows Phone at the same time. The latter is what convinces me more than anything that we are going to see a rising tide of great apps in 2013.
  24. kcovert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #24  
    A major issue here has been that the WP8 emulator requires SLAT, (Secondary Level Address Translation), no comment. Many developers current CPUs dont support this and it will slow down the flow of native WP8 apps.

    Also as you might of read in my other posts Im looking for a touchscreen laptop to do WP8 development that must have more than 8GBs of RAM I need to run my VMs for non Win8 and WP8 development and they simply dont exists. Gesture mice and touch pads dont cut it and many devs travel to client sites so a desktop solution is out.

    Its one thing to cause new hardware expenditure and another for there being nothing to buy.
  25. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I have everything I need except Citrix receiver, and that'll be along before too long. Personally Im not the least bit concerned. Microsoft has wisely ensured the future of WIndows Phone development by making great developer tools and more importantly, by making it very simple to develop an app for the Windows 8 desktop and Windows Phone at the same time. The latter is what convinces me more than anything that we are going to see a rising tide of great apps in 2013.
    Mark Templeton (CEO of Citrix) presented to a group of IT pro's a few weeks ago on the future of Citrix. I was lucky enough to be there. He was demoing with a Sony Win8 tablet / convertible and was saying how we was using it at home. It's very clear that they have a heavy focus on IOS and Android, but it was also clear that they don't always agree with the decisions that Apple makes.

    EDIT: @Socialcarpet - As you likely know, Citrix receiver is in preview for Windows 8 and WP8 (it was on one of his slides). It was clear that Citrix is no longer all about Windows, but windows phone was mentioned several times in his presentation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 111
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
  2. Are we getting a smartglass app?
    By j666w in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 03:16 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions