Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I think my keys maybe have scratched the screen, I read on a Bing search, toothpaste supposedly makes the scratches go away. Has anyone tried this?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    You're funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3.    #3  
    I have a feeling it will actually cause more damage than good 😉
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    I know that toothpaste remove scratches on a large scale such as car's headlights. I've tried it actually on my car's headlight and it cleared the vision a bit. Try it on your cell phone it might actually work.
    Developer

You have to be VERY careful as to which toothpaste you use. You need the ORIGINAL Crest brand that does not have the whitening/glitter/color crap in it. The best bet is the Sample Bin where you get the 99cent tubes. You need to use a Lint Free Cloth and a VERY Small amount at a time until cleared. DO NOT apply with your fingers (oils), dab on cloth, rub in STRAIGHT lines NOT a circle and it'll polish up nicely.
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    To be honest... And this is very strange... But I had a scratch on my screen and then a few days later it was gone... It was a very surface scratch.. I was amazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar Alhebshi View Post
    I know that toothpaste remove scratches on a large scale such as car's headlights. I've tried it actually on my car's headlight and it cleared the vision a bit. Try it on your cell phone it might actually work.
    You know what you can use instead of toothpaste for this? Polishing bars. Cheap at your local automotive store and come in several grit ratings.

Don't use it on your phone.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    just get some sandpaper...
    Thanked by:
    Butan 
    rdubmu, taymur and colinkiama like this.

Global Posts
    1,616 Global Posts
    I always thought the toothpaste removed the white coloring of the scratch, not the scratch itself. I know I've used toothpaste and a toothbrush on car window scratches in the past.

I heard snake oil works well too.

Global Posts
    2,173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkdilkington View Post
    I heard snake oil works well too.
    and a voodoo pouch filled with a dried mouse head and the herbs found near a dog's business
    Thanked by:
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
  12. R42

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    So this works?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive. It's good on most plastics (great for scratched up CDs and DVDs) I'm not sure I'd want to try using it on something this expensive. Make sure you use a very soft polishing cloth if you decide to try it.

I don't know if toothpaste (original Crest like mentioned above) will help for the type of glass on this phone, but toothpaste does help remove small scratches on plastics. As mentioned above it is a mild abrasive and can smooth out plastic surfaces when applied properly, and works similarly to a polishing compound.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I've used toothpaste before in the past. Looking at the Lumia 920 I just bought - yes, I'm back in the fold - the scratches were not present on the screen. Either I goofed up and my keys rubbed against the screen or the guy accidentally did when he was holding onto the phone in his pocket. (It was cold outside)

With the screen on I don't notice them. I think the one kind of screen protectors from AT&T will cover it up.

doesnt work from my own experience. I scratched my screen and since i planned on putting a screen protector on i tried it just for the sake of science. It seems to have rubbed off the oleophobic coating leading to the area not cleaning as easily as the rest of the screen while leaving the scratch. While i dont care because im bound to a screen protector and my scratches and imperfections are hidden if you have a scratch but still dont want to use a screen protector then just leave it alone. Now it just a scratch, with the coating any abrasive will have an effect on it functionality and purpose. If the glass is scratched and not the coating nothing will work anyway without ruining the coat.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    To me the scratches are a sign of use. A sign of love.

While I may baby my devices and keep them prestine and ultimately refuse to buy something that is already scratched up, I won't fault someone for rocking a "loved" device.

/shattered iPhone screens need not apply.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I was told that when I was a kid. I used it on my MvC2 Dreamcast CD and damage it beyond repair.

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    I have a useless Nokia N9 lying around i'll scratch it and then try this for you :) , (I know it might be a sick joke ) I'll also try it dry and wet (using two different scratches ... :)

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabkawe5 View Post
    I have a useless Nokia N9 lying around i'll scratch it and then try this for you :) , (I know it might be a sick joke ) I'll also try it dry and wet (using two different scratches ... :)
    I tried toothpaste , Dish washing soup , Car Wax , guess what worked ... nothing ...

Any other homemade recipes you want to test out ?
    Thanked by:
    Derausgewanderte likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabkawe5 View Post
    I tried toothpaste , Dish washing soup , Car Wax , guess what worked ... nothing ...

Any other homemade recipes you want to test out ?
    might as well try super fine grit sand paper and water while your in destruction mode. Or a drimmel buffing tool if you have that lying around.

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    I actually shot the whole thing on video ... if I weren't too freaking sleepy and if they weren't so boring I would've uploaded them.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    try clear nail polish instead. applied thinly along the scratch.
    ~gabriel

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    When I said homemade ... :D well lets just say my fiance is far away from me :D

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Would it test your manhood to go to the store to buy a bottle of clear nail polish? Dude, it isn't hard to do. And it does work.
    ~gabriel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast