Charging pad,not just a gimmick.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I know the Google Nexus 4 has this built in using the same standard, so I am a little confident that at least Windows Phones and Android phones will share the same charging plates. Those two will dwarf iOS devices, there should be some good options out there.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to scratch my head a bit if Apple claimed they were first considering I was wireless charging my Palm Pre years ago just fine.

It's a feature I've sorely missed every since I finally had to abandon WebOS.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have no intention of buying one (unless I see one super cheap) but the real win for this would be if you can start using it in public like at restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The glory is charging multiple devices and installation in desktop drawers and public places. Now its more of an early adopter gimmick than useful. You know the dream: one charge pad to rule them all. MP3 players, phones, tablets and Ultras. Just plop them down at a Starbucks or Barnes and Noble and enjoy the free WiFi while charging.

In real life I'd get more use out of a second AC cord for work and DC adapter for the car or charging stand for both work and auto. It's a gimmick if there's no industry follow through. Let's see Samsung adopt

I suppose some would argue a choice of a Second AC adapter and a Car Charger would be of more immediate use. The stand Charger is a utlility.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The glory is charging multiple devices and installation in desktop drawers and public places. Now its more of an early adopter gimmick than useful. You know the dream: one charge pad to rule them all. MP3 players, phones, tablets and Ultras. Just plop them down at a Starbucks or Barnes and Noble and enjoy the free WiFi while charging.

In real life I'd get more use out of a second AC cord for work and DC adapter for the car or charging stand for both work and auto. It's a gimmick if there's no industry follow through. Let's see Samsung adopt

I suppose some would argue a choice of a Second AC adapter and a Car Charger would be of more immediate use. The stand Charger is a utlility.

The glory is that it sits on my desk at work and it charges when it is not being used, yet I can pick it up without being tied to a wire. This is not a gimmick, this is real life. Some coffee shops in NYC with the help of Nokia are putting these into their tables NOW. I will be installing these in my employees workstations as they become more prevalent in the years to come. Don't worry Samsung will put these in there phones as soon as apple does.

e24mpwr

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I love my charging stand. The pad I got free with the phone arrives Monday, and will go to the office and travel with me. Wireless charging rocks!!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is far from gimmick. Reviewers called it a gimmick because iPhone doesn't have it. People called it gimmick, because iPhone doesn't have

1. I hate Apple.
2. I love Windows Phone and my Lumia 920.

I disagree here. I don't' call it a gimmick because Apple lacks it. I call it a gimmick because while I LOVE the feature, it's not that big of a deal. If you aren't getting a free charger, it's not a convenience worth the $50 cost of a charger (and the $35 cost of a case/cover, if your phone doesn't have wireless charging). It's a gimmick because it's a convenience not worth the monetary cost. I mention ALL THE TIME that you get the wireless charging and the pad for free with the Lumia 920, but I deliberately told my sister to not get a charger when she got her Lumia 822 (the moron at Verizon said it had wireless charging built in, but it doesn't without a new cover), because it's not a big enough deal to warrant the cost.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
1. I hate Apple.
2. I love Windows Phone and my Lumia 920.

I disagree here. I don't' call it a gimmick because Apple lacks it. I call it a gimmick because while I LOVE the feature, it's not that big of a deal. If you aren't getting a free charger, it's not a convenience worth the $50 cost of a charger (and the $35 cost of a case/cover, if your phone doesn't have wireless charging). It's a gimmick because it's a convenience not worth the monetary cost. I mention ALL THE TIME that you get the wireless charging and the pad for free with the Lumia 920, but I deliberately told my sister to not get a charger when she got her Lumia 822 (the moron at Verizon said it had wireless charging built in, but it doesn't without a new cover), because it's not a big enough deal to warrant the cost.

I am a little confused. Why aren't you letting your sister decide if it is a big enough deal to warrant the cos?. I respect your opinion, but it is just that, an opinion, not fact. I am sure you would say buying the phone off contract overseas for $700 isn't worth the cost, yet thousands of people are doing it, because it is worth it to THEM.

I am going to assume that you are pretty young, and that is ok! Ten years ago, I would have said that $50 for a silly accessory is too much, and not worth the cost. There are plenty of people that are not at that place in their lives, and I am sure you will be too. For me, I have no problem putting a charger on my computer desk at home and work, my nightstand, and the end table by the couch. Why? I am the kind of guy that likes topping off my phone, and not having to worry about a cable is a plus. Am I going to go around saying that everybody NEEDS one? Of course not. But it is more convenient, and better looking, than micro USB cables cluttered around the house.

Also, while I understand you don't like Apple and that you won't call the wireless charging a necessity once the iPhone utilizes it, that is not what the poster you quoted is saying, at all. He specifically mentioned reviewers. You can probably put this in the iOS users category. There seems to be the tendency of iOS users to feel and think that once Apple does it, it's time to adopt. You disagree. great! But he wasn't referring toy ou.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
When I first received the pad i thought it was just a bit gimmicky,how wrong can you get.
It's only a small thing but being able to place your phone down and power it up has made life just simpler no more faffing about plugging it in
Its sometimes the small things that make your day.

Yeah it's certainly no gimmick for me. Granted i can understand that for somebody it can be a gimmick as it might not fit to your daily life, but for me it has been great. Only used wall charger 2 times so far.

And the above i paid the norm 699 euros for the phone in here + 59 euros for the wireless charger.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love my free wireless charger - but Nokia is far from the first to offer this feature...as a previous poster stated Palm was doing it for years.

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
speaking of charging pads, here goes apple applying for yet another patent (along with their other 1 million patents) for wireless charging technology. it does work differently than nokia's.

Apple applies for patent on wireless charging system

That's how wireless charging should be imo. Nothing that needs to placed on a charging pad that's limited by the length of the cord, just place your device near it and you're good to go. I like it. Hopefully Apple doesn't get this so that other OEMs don't have to pay out their asses to license it, I'd love to see it on my next phone after my 920

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That's how wireless charging should be imo. Nothing that needs to placed on a charging pad that's limited by the length of the cord, just place your device near it and you're good to go. I like it. Hopefully Apple doesn't get this so that other OEMs don't have to pay out their asses to license it, I'd love to see it on my next phone after my 920

Wait, Nokia's wireless charger has to be plugged in at all times to work? I thought you plugged it in to charge it, and you could unplug it and take it wherever... if this is true then, it's still convenient, but not as convenient as I thought it was. Is this true for all Qi standard wireless chargers?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Wait, Nokia's wireless charger has to be plugged in at all times to work? I thought you plugged it in to charge it, and you could unplug it and take it wherever... if this is true then, it's still convenient, but not as convenient as I thought it was. Is this true for all Qi standard wireless chargers?

Yes it needs to be connected to the plug. I haven't heard about Qi charger that has huge battery inside. Doesn't really make sense as wireless charger wastes so much power to first take power from a plug to the battery and then waste much of it on the wireless charging process.
If you want Nokia released portable charger with battery inside back in 2011 called DC-16.
700-nokia-dc-16_group-shot_sm.jpg

speaking of charging pads, here goes apple applying for yet another patent (along with their other 1 million patents) for wireless charging technology. it does work differently than nokia's.

Apple applies for patent on wireless charging system

Well it's just a patent. Nokia filed over 1300 patents last year spending 8 times more on R&D than Apple at 4 billion euros and probably 1% of those patents ever go anywhere.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
More than a gimmick for me. Previously I had to buy a couple Blue Lounge CableDrop thingies to keep our micro USB plugs from falling behind or bedside tables. Even then, my wife and I spent a few seconds each night to find, grapple with and (sometimes) reverse the direction of the plug to fit into our phones to charge them for the night.

CableDrop.jpg

There's just no beating the ease and convenience of plopping our phones down on their pads without any squinting, plugging or tugging. Not only do we save a few seconds every night, but it's double the joy when the spouse in already in bed and the room is dark. No fumbling about in the dark to charge my phone for the night.

I can't wait until this tech is ubiquitous for use with other home electronics and built into tables at restaurants and coffee shops.

Last edited:

eLseStudio

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Probably a dump question... does the pad uses electricity while not charging any phone but still plugged into the wall with switch on?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Anybody who used a Palm webOS phone with Touchstones would tell you that wireless charging isn't a gimmick -- it's life-changing (and was VERY hard to give up when we had to go to other ecosystems).

The one thing Qi is missing, which Palm got right (IMO) is magnetic grip. Touchstones would "grab and hold" the phone using magnets, which feels a little more secure than just laying the phone down on top of a slab of plastic or pillow.

psm0110

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Someone really needs to make a universal car mount adapter for wireless charging. I don't mind plugging in my phone at the desk or nightstand. It's when I'm in my car, anxious to get moving, that fiddling with a cable and then its obstruction of the rest of the dash that pisses me off to no end. If I could just slap the puppy in there, snap in secure, and have the cable pre-routed around all the knobs I'd be set. In fact, make a second version with a bluetooth to aux adapter for the poor sobs in old cars w/o new radios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss