Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    When I first received the pad i thought it was just a bit gimmicky,how wrong can you get.
    It's only a small thing but being able to place your phone down and power it up has made life just simpler no more faffing about plugging it in
    Its sometimes the small things that make your day.
    Jazmac and James8561 like this.

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Wireless charging is far from gimmick. Reviewers called it a gimmick because iPhone doesn't have it. People called it gimmick, because iPhone doesn't have it. But placing a phone on a pad without the need to stick a cable into it every day is far from gimmicky, especially when you try to put cable in it in the dark. With Lumia line having it and now new Nexus having it, wireless charging WILL become a standard, whether Apple fans agree or not. You can bet that next iPhone will have it as well. This is just the way technology evolves.
    ibbyj likes this.
    I live it, but to be really useful I need about four charging pads, which gets expensive. Hopefully Qi becomes the standard, so as time passes we can use "old" pads on newer phones and devices.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    They better freaking start advertising all these features otherwise apple is going to do the whole, "we did it first" crap
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    They better freaking start advertising all these features otherwise apple is going to do the whole, "we did it first" crap
    My assumption/feeling here is that when Apple does get on board with wireless charging, they could create their own wireless charging standard, incompatible with all Qi chargers, and claim they were the first to do it right. That'll make them pretty much "first" no matter what.

Wireless charging is feature thru and thru. It's convenient, it looks cool, less wear and tear on the port, and most importantly, it just works.

As a home owner, my next home improvement project is to outfit my home with wireless chargers. No, not by plugging them in various outlets. But by actually incorporating them into my furniture, kitchen counters, etc... Make them invisible yet provide some subtle hints that they're there.

As far as Apple, this is one feature that they can never say they did first. The 920 is just too popular and "out there" that everyone will know they are just playing catch up.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Mystictrust and Klevis like this.

Will it work With covers?

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    People call it a gimmick because when the original Power Matt came out it was falsely advertised. They would sell you the Matt for say $100 and then proceed to tell you that you need to spend another $50 on a phone specific batter pack that will make your phone work with the Power Matt.

Or your other option was to use the charge port adapter that you had to plug into your phone and only the other end of this adapter sat on the Power Matt. Kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless charging. Might as well just use your home charger.

And also as mentioned above, the iphone doesn't have it so it must me a hoax.
  9. BCH

The Lumia charging stand is awesome. It sits by my bed next to a Nokia Play 360. It has allowed me to ditch my bedside clock. At night, I hit airplane mode, turn on my clock app, and drop it on the stand.
    db4williams and Klevis like this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've been able to hold the phone about a quarter inch away from the pad and it still charges. I even asked otterbox (because I ordered there defender case) if it works and they said it will work. This makes wireless charging even more exciting.

Now if Windows phone could do wireless syncing then this would indeed make there phones truly wireless. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpycl View Post
    I've been able to hold the phone about a quarter inch away from the pad and it still charges. I even asked otterbox (because I ordered there defender case) if it works and they said it will work. This makes wireless charging even more exciting.

Now if Windows phone could do wireless syncing then this would indeed make there phones truly wireless. :)
    They did with the Zune and windows phone 7.5 Before. It was configured to automatically occur once the phone was on a charger and the computer was awake, both on the same WiFi network

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Have to laugh. Wireless charging is supposedly gimmicky but a reversible lightning cord? That's a necessity.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    My assumption/feeling here is that when Apple does get on board with wireless charging, they could create their own wireless charging standard, incompatible with all Qi chargers, and claim they were the first to do it right. That'll make them pretty much "first" no matter what.
    True :(
    msdugn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MaulerX View Post
    As far as Apple, this is one feature that they can never say they did first. The 920 is just too popular and "out there" that everyone will know they are just playing catch up.
    That won't stop the fanbois. They will just say that Apple waited until they could 'get it right'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilleverden View Post
    Yes. My wife has a cover on her 920, and it works perfectly.

I love my charge pad. It sits right on my desk at work and it is so simple just to sit it down. If I want to take a call or check something on my phone I just pick it up and I'm good to go, no messing with wires that are never long enough. And the best thing is my wifi connection stays active. I'm going to get the JBL power up for my bedroom today! So now I can listen to music while playing my x-box up here....way cool.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    "The revolutionary iCharge. With a handcrafted palladium inlaid microfiber charging chassis. We think it's the best thing we've ever done and it's only on iPhone. Starting at $249.99"
    I can't wait until restaurants build wireless charging into their tables 😊 There are few who do it now, but once it becomes mainstream it is going to be a nice feature.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    I can't wait until restaurants build wireless charging into their tables  There are few who do it now, but once it becomes mainstream it is going to be a nice feature.

0.0 I wonder what their power bill is like!

Also, it will indeed be interesting how Apple responds to this. They recently adopted the lightning connector in order to make a "thinner and lighter" iPhone. Adding the inductive coiling would increase the thickness which would be a step back in their current push for thinner products.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Apple will come out with a proprietary wireless charging system they will say is a better version of the current standard. Their chargers will cost at least $100 and the Apple fanboys will defend Apples wireless standard to the death.
    Nokia really needs to start advertising this like crazy.
    that sounds so much like them

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I know the Google Nexus 4 has this built in using the same standard, so I am a little confident that at least Windows Phones and Android phones will share the same charging plates. Those two will dwarf iOS devices, there should be some good options out there.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I'd have to scratch my head a bit if Apple claimed they were first considering I was wireless charging my Palm Pre years ago just fine.

It's a feature I've sorely missed every since I finally had to abandon WebOS.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I have no intention of buying one (unless I see one super cheap) but the real win for this would be if you can start using it in public like at restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    The glory is charging multiple devices and installation in desktop drawers and public places. Now its more of an early adopter gimmick than useful. You know the dream: one charge pad to rule them all. MP3 players, phones, tablets and Ultras. Just plop them down at a Starbucks or Barnes and Noble and enjoy the free WiFi while charging.

In real life I'd get more use out of a second AC cord for work and DC adapter for the car or charging stand for both work and auto. It's a gimmick if there's no industry follow through. Let's see Samsung adopt

I suppose some would argue a choice of a Second AC adapter and a Car Charger would be of more immediate use. The stand Charger is a utlility.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast