Charging pad,not just a gimmick.

navbouy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
When I first received the pad i thought it was just a bit gimmicky,how wrong can you get.
It's only a small thing but being able to place your phone down and power it up has made life just simpler no more faffing about plugging it in
Its sometimes the small things that make your day.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is far from gimmick. Reviewers called it a gimmick because iPhone doesn't have it. People called it gimmick, because iPhone doesn't have it. But placing a phone on a pad without the need to stick a cable into it every day is far from gimmicky, especially when you try to put cable in it in the dark. With Lumia line having it and now new Nexus having it, wireless charging WILL become a standard, whether Apple fans agree or not. You can bet that next iPhone will have it as well. This is just the way technology evolves.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I live it, but to be really useful I need about four charging pads, which gets expensive. Hopefully Qi becomes the standard, so as time passes we can use "old" pads on newer phones and devices.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They better freaking start advertising all these features otherwise apple is going to do the whole, "we did it first" crap

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
They better freaking start advertising all these features otherwise apple is going to do the whole, "we did it first" crap
My assumption/feeling here is that when Apple does get on board with wireless charging, they could create their own wireless charging standard, incompatible with all Qi chargers, and claim they were the first to do it right. That'll make them pretty much "first" no matter what.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is feature thru and thru. It's convenient, it looks cool, less wear and tear on the port, and most importantly, it just works.

As a home owner, my next home improvement project is to outfit my home with wireless chargers. No, not by plugging them in various outlets. But by actually incorporating them into my furniture, kitchen counters, etc... Make them invisible yet provide some subtle hints that they're there.

As far as Apple, this is one feature that they can never say they did first. The 920 is just too popular and "out there" that everyone will know they are just playing catch up.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
People call it a gimmick because when the original Power Matt came out it was falsely advertised. They would sell you the Matt for say $100 and then proceed to tell you that you need to spend another $50 on a phone specific batter pack that will make your phone work with the Power Matt.

Or your other option was to use the charge port adapter that you had to plug into your phone and only the other end of this adapter sat on the Power Matt. Kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless charging. Might as well just use your home charger.

And also as mentioned above, the iphone doesn't have it so it must me a hoax.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The Lumia charging stand is awesome. It sits by my bed next to a Nokia Play 360. It has allowed me to ditch my bedside clock. At night, I hit airplane mode, turn on my clock app, and drop it on the stand.

sharpycl

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Will it work With covers?

I've been able to hold the phone about a quarter inch away from the pad and it still charges. I even asked otterbox (because I ordered there defender case) if it works and they said it will work. This makes wireless charging even more exciting.

Now if Windows phone could do wireless syncing then this would indeed make there phones truly wireless. :)

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been able to hold the phone about a quarter inch away from the pad and it still charges. I even asked otterbox (because I ordered there defender case) if it works and they said it will work. This makes wireless charging even more exciting.

Now if Windows phone could do wireless syncing then this would indeed make there phones truly wireless. :)
They did with the Zune and windows phone 7.5 Before. It was configured to automatically occur once the phone was on a charger and the computer was awake, both on the same WiFi network

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My assumption/feeling here is that when Apple does get on board with wireless charging, they could create their own wireless charging standard, incompatible with all Qi chargers, and claim they were the first to do it right. That'll make them pretty much "first" no matter what.

True :(

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
As far as Apple, this is one feature that they can never say they did first. The 920 is just too popular and "out there" that everyone will know they are just playing catch up.

That won't stop the fanbois. They will just say that Apple waited until they could 'get it right'.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I love my charge pad. It sits right on my desk at work and it is so simple just to sit it down. If I want to take a call or check something on my phone I just pick it up and I'm good to go, no messing with wires that are never long enough. And the best thing is my wifi connection stays active. I'm going to get the JBL power up for my bedroom today! So now I can listen to music while playing my x-box up here....way cool.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

"The revolutionary iCharge. With a handcrafted palladium inlaid microfiber charging chassis. We think it's the best thing we've ever done and it's only on iPhone. Starting at $249.99"

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait until restaurants build wireless charging into their tables 😊 There are few who do it now, but once it becomes mainstream it is going to be a nice feature.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait until restaurants build wireless charging into their tables  There are few who do it now, but once it becomes mainstream it is going to be a nice feature.

0.0 I wonder what their power bill is like!

Also, it will indeed be interesting how Apple responds to this. They recently adopted the lightning connector in order to make a "thinner and lighter" iPhone. Adding the inductive coiling would increase the thickness which would be a step back in their current push for thinner products.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Apple will come out with a proprietary wireless charging system they will say is a better version of the current standard. Their chargers will cost at least $100 and the Apple fanboys will defend Apples wireless standard to the death.
Nokia really needs to start advertising this like crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills