Mic problem / low quality

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I got called by a friend, he said it was very hard for him to understand me because my voice was very low. It was so low, that I needed to repeat whole sentences to get him understand what I was saying. I've used the headphones while driving a few times before, no one has told me something like this, so it seems this Problem is only occuring when I use the built-in mic.

Is my Lumia 920 defective? It would be soo bad, because I'm having no other problems with it as some others here on this forum :straight:
Is there something I can do? Does a hardreset maybe fix this issue?

Thanks for any info's/help in advance!

chasesunny

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have suddenly started having the exact same issue.... The only change for me is that I put a Skinomi full body skin over the Lumia.. Will remove it and re confirm.

Vannisnow

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, we are experiencing same issue today. Bot Lumia 920 works with low mic.
We have no cover at all....

Thinks there is something wrong with the os.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I often get complaint that it's hard to hear me, I need to make sure the phone is positioned closer otherwise I sound really far away apparently. People do ask if I'm using speaker phone or something.

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have no case or cover on my Lumia. I have tested the mic already with recording a video, sounds fine to me. TellMe commands works fine too, so I think this happens only on a phone call. But, since I started this post no one has ever told me this again so there is some possibility that it was either a one time error or (maybe) some of the updates that came out fixed this problem (it's hard to believe, but we haven't got any release notes what was fixed exactly...). I think I'm going to ask some people in the next days when I'm on a call with them how the quality from my voice is now.

Will definately report back...

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Tried with the headset and was heard fine. Without headset couldn't be heard well.

Are the built in Mics not sensitive enough due to this HAAC mic system?

Or is the noise cancellation too strong?

Or am I "holding it wrong" lol.

sbostedor

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the same thing! It's been happening since the first day that I bought the phone. I'm going to stop in to the AT&T store on my way home today and have them take a look.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My mic is terrible. It's to the point where I don't answer the phone sometimes and just call them back from my work phone because I know that the person calling me will not be able to hear me. My L920 experience has, largely, been a negative one. I'd have already switched, but this phone brings next to nothing on Craigslist and I'm not about to pay full fare for an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 despite the fact that these are infinitely better phones. Long story short...I'm stuck in L920 ****.

DrKofi

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too and had to turn it in for a replacement device. It sounded fine when recording it but during calls no one could hear me well.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem, when in loudspeaker mode I can be hardly heard, when having a regular phone call, I have to hold the phone close to my mouth to be heard correctly...

Did exchanging the phone did the trick or it is an os issue maybe? I have no problems when recording video, sound is loud and crisp :/

eliza78

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Finally! I've found others with this problem also! I'm always having problems with people telling me that they can't understand me. I thought it was a fluke at first, but:eck: called my phone and listened to someone else talk, and it's crappy. I now resort to practically yelling into the phone.
Today I went to ATT and they told me that they haven't heard of this problem.... I go to the warranty part of the store, and lo and behold there is a man turning his in for the same problem. I'm going to give my replacement phone a shot, but I'm pretty sure now that I'll end up dumping the Lumia.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For those of you with a case or a skin, that could be the problem. If the skin or cover blocks the small mic holes on the top of the phone to the right of the headphone jack (very small and hard to see), it seems to mess up the noise cancellation. I had people tell me they could not understand me and I sounded like I was under water with my TPU case. Once I figured it out, if I took the case off it solved the issue. I drilled a hole in the top of my TPU case so it did not cover the mike holes and it seems to work fine.I think some of the newer cases have the cutout. If your phone is naked, you probably have a problem with the phone, but if you have a skin or a cover, make sure the top mike is not covered. I know one of you mentioned the problem started when a skin was put on the phone, and I am betting the skin does not have the cu out on top for the mic. I think the mic holes are so small skin and case manufacturers did not know they were there. I did not until somebody pointed it out in a post and I looked very carefully. I am glad I did, as I loved my phone with no other real issues and did not want to exchange it.

Elrinth

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I also have problem. People call me and sometimes they hear me and sometimes they don't. It doesn't even matter if I move the phone or not, it just happens automatically. I turn and twist both myself and the phone again until they hear me again. I thought I was the only one with the problem. What is the problem, seriously?

If I however put in the headphones which come with the phone there is no problem at all with the mic.

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problem. Multiple people telling me that they can't hear me very well. I tried to test by calling a friend and swapping phones and I could hear fine, but it seems to be a temperamental (though quite frequent) issue.

shailr88

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I am comparatively a new user got my 920 around 15 days back and clearly feel there is an issue with Mic as Multiple people telling me that they can't hear me very well while on a call.

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've worked around this issue with speaking a bit louder as usually and put the mic as near as possible to my mouth. Sure this isn't a solution but it helps. I've called a friend with a 920 too and I've experienced the same issue, sometimes I couldn't hear him and sometimes I could understand him quite well. So I think it depends on how you're holding your phone while talking. I hope they can fix it asap!

Just for info: does it happens also with the portico update? Still waiting for it in Germany, that's why I ask.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I had the same problem. My gf was incredibly angry with me because of that as she couldn't hear me at all. She said I sounded like in a tin cup and it was really hard to understand what I was saying. What I did was a complete reset of the phone (from settings). And IT HELPED!!! Finally my voice is clear and loud.
BTW luckily WP8 has this backup feature. It made the whole process quite automatic. There was some minor problem with automatic reinstalling the apps but I canceled the ones that couldn't be reinstalled (updates for Nokia stuff) and after a day they were installed automatically after all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss