920 Audio Quality

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes forums become problem focused so I wanted to say that, although I am no audiophile, I have been impressed with the audio quality on the 920 compared to other phones I have used. I upgraded from the Lumia 900 and have notice better volume, clarity and stereo separation on the 920, especially with Dolby Headphone turned on. With the 900 I usually used my Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones rather than my Nokia Purity headphones unless I was making a call because there was such a difference in audio quality. With the 920 I use Dolby Headphone and the "Rock" preset on the equalizer to optimize the Nokia Purity headphones and stay primarily with the Nokia Purity headphones because the sound is good and the mic and music controls work.

I have resolved most of my issues with Xbox Music however I really wish you could add tracks to a playlist on the phone. I find it very annoying when I am listening to a Smart DJ mix, hear a song I like and have no easy way to tag it for later listening.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'am self-proclaimed audiophile and the audio quality is WAY better than on Lumia 800 and Lumia 900. I listen my Lumia 920 through Denon AH-C710 and Sennheiser IE 60.

I would put them on the same bracket as the new gen iPod touch, but not quite as good as 808 PureView. Though the differences are really small in scale and it comes more to preferences at that point.

lg89

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920's is pretty good on sound quality, but I have to say the HTC 8x is better (without all the beats nonsense)...

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I find the audio quality pretty good as well. I had some issues it it at first, but it's because I was using the eq. Once the eq app is loaded, the sound instantly changes before any eq changes can be made. Just entering the app makes the sound kind of muddy. A reboot is then needed to restore the original sound quality. I'm using UE Triplefi Pro 10 IEMs.

dvorak123

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I have resolved most of my issues with Xbox Music however I really wish you could add tracks to a playlist on the phone. I find it very annoying when I am listening to a Smart DJ mix, hear a song I like and have no easy way to tag it for later listening.

I take screenshots

perspicuity

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, audio quality is leagues above the Lumia 900 (and the N9 which also had Dolby support). I think in part it's the CPU used. Snapdragons haven't been renowned for their audio support, but the S4 seems to have corrected any previous issues. I'd say it's just about on par with the iPhone 4 which is one of the best audio devices around, though it still doesn't get quite as loud but I listen to my music louder than most. (Just to clarify I'm referring to my audio system. I'm not blasting my eardrums to pieces with headphones set to max.)

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I find the audio quality pretty good as well. I had some issues it it at first, but it's because I was using the eq. Once the eq app is loaded, the sound instantly changes before any eq changes can be made. Just entering the app makes the sound kind of muddy. A reboot is then needed to restore the original sound quality. I'm using UE Triplefi Pro 10 IEMs.

TF10s FTW

Brutos UK

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm really liking the audio quality, a big jump coming from a iphone 4. The max volume of the 920 is probably the same as 75/80% on the iPhone but it's easily loud enough and the sound quality is so much better, the 920 seems to have a better frequency range, the lows sound much lower and highs seem higher. The iPhone sounds harsh in comparison. That's using Monster Turbines and Sennheiser IE80's.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Some thing i would not mind to see some improvements is the audio player, or actually to have more options. Nokia Music is nice because of the Mix Radio, gig finder and such, but the audio player even there is very similar to the default.
Audio player with different UI, support for flac and other codecs would be nice.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I listen to music LOTS on my phone, so audio quality is important to me. The only major drawback for me in going from an HTC One X to Lumia 900 was audio quality, and I am thrilled to have the 920 sounding as good if not better than the HOX. In a bit of irony, I'm using the beats audio headphones that came with the HTC Rezound I got before the HOX and they sound great with the Dolby Digital of the 920! :)

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I listen to music LOTS on my phone, so audio quality is important to me.

Same here. When I look at how I actually use my phone it is primarily as a music player, probably 90%. Then in order of use:

2) phone
3) internet search/email
4) Runtastic
5) car GPS
6) camera
7) games

The reason I even became interested in Windows Phone is because I wanted a Zune player that was also a phone.

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping for a better DAC, the sound is very flat. I don't think theres any phone with a really good DAC in it though.

There are plenty of phones with good sounding DACs. I think the sound quality is excellent. This is without using the eq app though. I find that just opening it degrades the sq considerably.

Last edited:

nooaah

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the bump. I'm moving from an iPhone 5 to a 928 - any other input on the sound quality (I'm assuming the 928 will use the same hardware as the 920)? I've been pretty disappointed with the 5's audio quality when paired with my Etymotic er-4p's. The Galaxy S3 was no better. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon