"Warm" Yellow Tint Screen

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Matte Cyan Nokia Lumia 920 phone. Upon comparing it with a matte black Lumia 920 side by side, I noticed that the cyan's LCD is noticeably yellower or "warmer" than that of the other black matte phone. I would say the matte black is noticeably whiter, bluer, brighter or "cooler" than that of the white iPhone. I definitely prefer the cooler blue LCD to the warmer yellow; the color seems to pop more and whites actually look white, whereas the yellow looks dim and washed out.

I am curious to know if anybody is noticing the similar differences.

FYI upon searching on Google, this seems to be a common problem with IPS LCD displays. Some point to calibration issue. Some point to a glue on LCD that would eventually go away.
I would appreciate if somebody helps me understand which (Warm or Cooler tint) is better.

Is there a color temperature adjusting or color profiles app?

Thanks.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the black 920 and I have a "warmer" yellow tinted screen so I dont think it matters what color phone really. I dont think there is any way to change it or any apps out there that can do it either. It may be something Nokia improves with an update. The yellowish whites drove me crazy for a few days but I honestly dont even notice any longer.

eallan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My cyan has a noticeably inferior screen compared with the white that I had for a while. They're clearly using different vendors.

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
@ZombieBacchus You are right about the fact that it has nothing to do with phone exterior color. This is more a comparison of the LCD screen. However my main question about which (warm or cooler tint) is better remains unanswered. I hope I get more views and replies to this post.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
@ZombieBacchus You are right about the fact that it has nothing to do with phone exterior color. This is more a comparison of the LCD screen. However my main question about which (warm or cooler tint) is better remains unanswered. I hope I get more views and replies to this post.

I am not sure if one is actually better than the other outside of personal taste. I personally like the cooler tints a bit more as I think as it tends to produce a more pure white which looks great when surfing the web. My 920 definitely is on the warmer side of the color spectrum and at first it did bother me (I think I may have created a post about it on here or at least commented on someone elses) but now I really dont notice it at all.

Hopefully someone will be able to get you an answer. There are a ton of really helpful people that know a lot about smartphone technology on here.

vanx21

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have the same situation with my cyan lumia 920. Also noticed a second ago that the buttons (back, windows, search) are also dim and yellow, specifically the search one.
It looks to me the "bulb" feeding the screen is by nature "yellower", hence everything looks warmer (screens and buttons). But of course, I have no idea how this screens work.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You guys wont believe me but at the very least, in my experience, the warmer screen is the one with the newer hardware (better stronger buttons etc...)

The good white LCD seems to be from the earlier build with the rattle type vibrate. There are differences between the two builds. I will probably make a post on it sooner or later this week.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just received my replacement and noticed the EXACT same inconsistencies.

Pros:
Stiffer buttons
No vibration rattle
No clicking sounds on sim tray

Cons:
"Warmer" screen, yellowish whites
Blacks don't look as black
Capacitive LEDS are much more dim, they barely look lit

No Change:
Still have horrible reception
Not sure about battery yet

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got my replacement, but its my 5th one and the capacitive buttons look yellow compared to my 4th Lumia. My first one had yellowish buttons too tho so who knows

cflumia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i also just got a replacement black lumia 920 because the earpiece on my first one was defective. The new black one has an earpiece that works, but the buttons are much dimmer and have the yellow tint compared to my first black 920. Very annoying.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I received yet another replacement today, this one also has the much warmer screen.
Whites look yellowish gray, major disappointment.
Reception is still horrible on all 3 units I've tried thus far.

HiroEX

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That's weird, I received a brand new unit through insurance and the display whites are white and the blacks are black. Started getting the proximity sensor issue (also the buttons don't light up) 28 days after getting the replacement device (insurance only covers up to 7 days for replacement of new device) so now going through warranty replacement, 2 of the refurbished units I've gotten have noticeably yellow whites and brown blacks (I actually had 3 refurbished units sent to me, the first one had an inch long line of broken green pixels). So not too sure which is which. It would be awesome if these phones allowed you to calibrate the displays somehow.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i own a yellow 920 and just won a red 920 through a nokia dev challenge in Australia. powered it up and set it up (may I add that the restore worked super awesomely). opened my mail app and first thing i noticed was the white was not as white on my red lumia compared to my yellow. i played around with different brightness levels and it didn't change. i actually want to say the white looks closer to a warm brown (yes that sounds gross) rather than a warm yellow. a bit annoying but only because i'm used to the clear white on my lumia 920. was thinking of sending it for warranty repair but seems like a few people have this issue and i'm wondering if today's news about the upcoming update to allow users to change display colours/temperature will fix this so i think i'm going to hold out on sending it back till this update is released.

Nokia Color Profile 2.png

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion this has to do with different hardware manufacturers/batches. I've had a few replacements and currently have a new one plus the old one I have yet to return. The old one has a cooler screen, whiter whites, but seems a bit dim. Side by side, the new one is brighter, but also warmer and more yellow. I'm impatiently waiting for the color profile update from Nokia so I can adjust it how I want. I wouldn't consider your screen "defective" by any means, it's just the nature of LCDs.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I too am hoping that the color profile update will fix this issue.
I just can't handle the warmer screen color after looking at my original unit for this long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans