Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    toothpaste and 409 should fix it.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    My two year old tosses mine around and there's not a scrape on it.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I think the weight probably has something to do with it. The polycarbonate and gorilla glass are strong, but the heavy internals increase the impact damage. The fact that the phones are slippery to hold (especially the matte ones) means that the phone is not as indestructible as people would lead you to believe.
    Alex Kj likes this.

I dropped mine twice. 1st time from ear height and nothing happened on the screen. 2nd time was from my waist but it was on some SAND/ROCK--->scratch on the glass. sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Noble View Post
    Yours is not a lemon. I dropped my phone from about 1 1/2 ft and the screen shattered. I have since heard that many people are having the same problem. I live in Thailandmwhere the phone costs $700 and there is no insurance and getting service is almost impossible so I would not recommend any of my friends to buy this phone. It also seems that a lot of the folks,replying on this forum are either Nokia employees or Nokia apologists. If they sound too sympathetic to Nokia on this issue, just ask them if the work or consult for Nokia.
    lmfao wow bro. Its called being unlucky. I dropped mine ten feet on concrete. Dented my bottom corners. That's it.
    Alex Kj likes this.

I've dropped mine twice, on a hard surface, from about 1 feet... No display damage, not even scratches. It all depends on "luck" (which particular area of the phone will hit the hard surface first), and you must always remember that the Gorilla Glass (any kind of it, regardless of the phone brand/model that uses it) is not completely indestructible or scratch-proof. If you're afraid of your phone falling and becoming damaged - just buy an insurance, or a heavy-duty case for it (with a thick border around display area), problem solved. If such case is not yet available - buy a different model of phone for which such case already exists.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Anyone know where to get a new digitizer online?

I dropped my phone today and all the repair shops want to do is replace the entire lcd+glass which is unnecessarily expensive

Welcome to gorilla glass. Pretty strong, unless hit side on. Looks like you got pretty unlucky. Now if you'd tried hitting it face on with a hammer, you'd have been fine.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    Welcome to gorilla glass. Pretty strong, unless hit side on. Looks like you got pretty unlucky. Now if you'd tried hitting it face on with a hammer, you'd have been fine.
    'Gorilla Glass' must be the biggest scam of 2012-2013

I dropped my Desire HD about a million times and not a scratch on its cheapo standard glass
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrk View Post
    'Gorilla Glass' must be the biggest scam of 2012-2013

I dropped my Desire HD about a million times and not a scratch on its cheapo standard glass
    Dude, it's "scratch-resistant", not scratch-proof. And to the OP, sorry about your 920. That sucks. It's simple physics, really. Glass is rigid, and cannot absorb sudden force. All a phone, ANY phone, has to do is fall on a spot where enough of the force is transferred to the screen instead of the casing, and it will shatter like a picture window with a brick through it. This is why, in addition to reception issues, materials like aluminum and other metals are a poor material for a cellphone. They don't flex. They are rigid, like the screen. So there is no absorption of the force of impact. I'm really hoping Nokia figures something out for the alleged aluminum 920 successor. Maybe flexible OLED displays from Samsung!

holy cows... i cant find any case yet

Slightly off topic here, but does anybody's 920 have dozens of tiny little scratches on the screen? They aren't gashes or anything, but when the phone catches the light just right, they shine for all to see. And if you are wondering, no, I've never dropped my phone. It stays in its own pocket or is on a flat surface 99 per cent of the time.

Same experience here. I've babied the phone since I got it. No scratches or anything... Then the very first time it touches the floor, it hits on the corner and the screen shatters.

Insurance would cover this right?

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    If you are like me and think the phones are too sexy to cover in a case, get accidental coverage if it is offered! Always worth it.

I may be jinxing myself but I've dropped mine a few times from chest height and nothing yet, no case either.
    I've had phones like this a long time and only broken one and it was an iphone not in case dropped on a tile floor, its just bad luck from my experience. If it hits in the right spot it'll break, say 10% of the phone body might take a moderate impact that will shatter the screen, the other 90% will be a benign impact with nothing more than a scuff in the case, just luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Noble View Post
    Everyone drops their phone, unless they are working in a Nokia office!
    @josephNoble, You can buy a new screen for less than $200. You should take better care of your phone. I partly agree that a lot of people drop their phones, I do it all the time. I dropped by HD7 and the screen shattered, then a week later after I got the glass fixed from a shop here in Seattle, i dropped it again, at least the phone only cost $75 to fix.

If you break your phone, you can send it to Nokia and they will fix it for $187 or something like that. It may take some time to get your phone back.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanKennedy View Post
    Slightly off topic here, but does anybody's 920 have dozens of tiny little scratches on the screen? They aren't gashes or anything, but when the phone catches the light just right, they shine for all to see. And if you are wondering, no, I've never dropped my phone. It stays in its own pocket or is on a flat surface 99 per cent of the time.
    Mine has the scratches as well, I haven't dropped my phone yet. I used to abuse phones until they got to be expensive to replace. I now take much better care. A year ago, I dropped my HD7 twice on hard restaurant kitchen title, both times the phone shattered.... it happened within a 2 week period..totally sucked.

When I used to have a blackberry, those things were tanks... I would at least drop them a few times a day.haha

I just dropped my phone from about 12" onto the garage floor (concrete). It landed face down flat, and shattered the screen. I do have it in a case, but the case doesn't seem to have helped.

Just watched a disassemble video and ordered a new screen, with adhesive and the 3 torx screw drivers needed. Doesn't look that hard and total cost with shipping is $83. Guess I get to carry it around in a zip lock for a while since shards of glass are falling out of it. It does still work though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12