I thought Text Messages would "wake up" the device

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a Titan II and when the phone was locked (no password) and I received a text message the display would light up and show the text toast. On my 920 it does not do that. It just vibrates and does not wake up.

Is this new in WP8? Is there a setting somewhere for this?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Just wanted to give an update. It was the Ghost Armor. Took it back to the kiosk yesterday and he extended the cutout across to not cover the sensor and installed a new one. Phone is back to normal and working perfectly.

Last edited:

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello, it is my first Windows Phone, it wakes the device up when i receive a text message.
I am not quite sure, but could it be something to do with the proximity sensor? If you have a screen protector, that might be the issue. Proximity sensor is somewhere near the front facing camera.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Dangit. That is probably it. I just had Ghost Armor installed and that is causing my phone calls to have black screen when I take/place a call. The shield does cover the sensor. I am actually going back there today for a refund. I didn't realize the proximity sensor would have anything to do with texts though. Thanks.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
that does not wake up for text or e-mail would be fine if at least the phone would have a reminder tone to let you know that there is an incoming of some sort

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Dangit. That is probably it. I just had Ghost Armor installed and that is causing my phone calls to have black screen when I take/place a call. The shield does cover the sensor. I am actually going back there today for a refund. I didn't realize the proximity sensor would have anything to do with texts though. Thanks.

Some shields have cutouts you have to pop out before applying. Maybe whoever installed it didn't pop them out.

EvoKnvl

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Some shields have cutouts you have to pop out before applying. Maybe whoever installed it didn't pop them out.

Nah, the Ghost Armor doesn't have the cut out. It also doesn't have the cut out for the top mic. I let them know and they have fixed it. My replacement should be arriving anytime.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My 822 does wake up for texts, but it goes back to sleep after a couple seconds. I haven't checked for emails. Is it a hardware issue with the 920? The software is the same across all devices right?

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
My 822 does wake up for texts, but it goes back to sleep after a couple seconds. I haven't checked for emails. Is it a hardware issue with the 920? The software is the same across all devices right?

Honestly I'm on my second and I can't remember what the first one did. lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
My phone only wakes up for Text Messages, and anything that receives toast notifications. So for me it wakes up for (4th & Mayor, CNN & WP Central). Emails have never woke my phone up on all my windows phones, only makes the sound notification.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It will wake for text messages and fall back asleep if you don't input anything after a few seconds. Same functionality of WP7. It will not wake if you are covering the prox sensor because it thinks your device is in your pocket, and if it is in your pocket you do not want the phone to wake. If the phone does not wake when getting a text then either you have something blocking the prox sensor like stated above or something is wrong with the sensor (and if the sensor is broken, you'll know when making a call).

The phone will NOT wake for email. It never did that in WP7 either and, for now, it does not in WP8.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It will wake for text messages and fall back asleep if you don't input anything after a few seconds. Same functionality of WP7. It will not wake if you are covering the prox sensor because it thinks your device is in your pocket, and if it is in your pocket you do not want the phone to wake. If the phone does not wake when getting a text then either you have something blocking the prox sensor like stated above or something is wrong with the sensor (and if the sensor is broken, you'll know when making a call).

The phone will NOT wake for email. It never did that in WP7 either and, for now, it does not in WP8.

Wait, it won't wake if it's in my pocket? I want to know if I get a text then. I hope that's not the case!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Wait, it won't wake if it's in my pocket? I want to know if I get a text then. I hope that's not the case!
You'll get the sound notification either way. I never thought I'd miss that LED notification from my old BlackBerry. Goes to show you that every platform has its strengths and weaknesses. Also, along with the sound notification you can set it to vibrate too.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Wake means if the phone is in your pocket it won't light up and show the notification because it's in your pocket. You'll still get the sound and the vibration if you have it turned on.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You'll get the sound notification either way. I never thought I'd miss that LED notification from my old BlackBerry. Goes to show you that every platform has its strengths and weaknesses. Also, along with the sound notification you can set it to vibrate too.

OK. I am still on the fence about WP8 for my next phone. So when you get a text or email, there is no blinking light until you clear the alert like on Android? I thought that one of the phones, maybe the 8x, had the notification light in the grill at the top and one in the back too?

Thanks

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Lets clear some more stuff up here. External notification indicators like LEDs found on HTCs, BB, etc are not specific to the OS (android, iOS, WP). Notification lights are specific to the phone hardware manufacturer. My HTC HD7 had an LED notification light for charging, missed calls, and texts (not email tho). The HD7 runs WP7 fyi. Newer HTC devices like the 8x have notification lights as stated above, and Nokia's do not. I did miss that light very much at first but I'm already over it.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Nah, the Ghost Armor doesn't have the cut out. It also doesn't have the cut out for the top mic. I let them know and they have fixed it. My replacement should be arriving anytime.

I have Ghost Armor on mine and the proximity sensor works fine. But it also has a cutout for the mic (but not the sensor). I wonder if they put the wrong one on the first time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss