Internet Sharing, evidence of ROM tampering from Rogers?

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I have read a lot of different forums that The Lumia 920 from Roger has a hard time working with other carriers when unlocked. Specifically, internet Sharing seems to be broken.

Some have speculated that the phone is supposed to "detect" or "read" the settings right off the sim card but all the Rogers phone owner have reported that this is not happening.

I like evidence, not speculation. So I went ahead and downloaded the RM820_1232.2109.1242.1002_RETAIL_nam_canada_200_02_100347_prd_signed ROM off nokia's web site using NaviFirm+ 1.7. then I hex-edited the rom itself...

Boy is that stuff interesting. I found a section written in XML called "OEMCustomizationPackage". That sounded too good to be true... so I dug up the xml and found a bunch of interesting settings like custom ring tones, initial tile placement BUT...

I also found this...

<Component ComponentName="ConnectivityCustomizations">
<SettingsGroup>
<Setting Name="ADC path set" Value=""/>
<Setting Name="ADC enabled" Value="0"/>
</SettingsGroup>

Call me crazy but ADC in WP8 parlance stands for "automatic data configuration" and unless I'm dumb as a rock, the setting sure seems to me like it's disabled!!!

Now of course If only there was another line that said <Modified by your carrier to make your life miserable = 1> but sadly there aren't.

So it begs the question... was the setting disabled by Nokia?, Rogers? or worst... Microsoft?

I don't expect I'll have an answer to this but I have a support call in with Nokia that got bumped to Level 2 support... the conversation will get interesting :wink:

[Update]

I looked at the OEMCustomizationPackage XML for the ATT firmware and ADC is disabled (tested on RM820_1232.2109.1242.1001_RETAIL_nam_usa_100_01_95 122)
did the same for a random European firmware... settled on the France firmware (RM821_1232.2109.1242.1001_RETAIL_eu_france_267_01 _95741 ) and the setting is NOT IN the OEMCustomizationPackage XML
Now I'm not gonna waste any more bandwidth testing other firmwares but this is evidence enough to prove there was a deliberate effort to cripple the North American firmware by ATT and Rogers. I cannot wait to talk to the support rep from Nokia and hear what he has to say... Best case scenario, they let me have a generic Firmware and I'm home free... but most likely, they'll release an app just like they did with the lumia 900. It was called "Nokia Network setup"

[Update]

Last edited:

djncanada1

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried internet sharing today on lumia 920 with Telus, it worked twice today, I will test for longer period later today

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, Just a quick update for the 1249 firmware... I HEX edited the firmware and can confirm the setting is still disabled for Rogers.

Wow that's surprising... said no one ever! :wink:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes