Got my Lumia 920 (white), first impressions

ripple23

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Excited to get my white lumia 920. My previous phone was the iPhone4S.

Switched SIM cards, promptly got a text message about incorrect data plan. I need to figure out how to switch my number to the new SIM.

The build quality on this phone is superb and I am a big time gadget user. Nokia has designed a beautiful phone and I am truly impressed. I think they have kicked Apple's butt on this one for sure. I do hope that they market this phone properly so every one gets to know about. I am already waiting for Nokia to better this phone (and I am not sure how they are going to do it).

I didn't have any prior Windows account (Linux primarily at home and OS X and now Windows 8), so never faced any difficulties in setting up a new MS a/c and had no Zune music to transfer. Everything worked seamlessly. Didn't install a bunch of apps. Just a few, FB, metrotalk, metrotube. I can say that FB on WP8 is significantly better than the iOS version.

I am completely convinced now that there are a significant number of heavily biased reporters who write reviews. Calling this phone a brick or heavy is truly offending to the Lumia's designer. The weight is so well balanced, I am left wondering how they packed all this into this sleek design (I am a firmware engineer and I know a little about PCB layouts). It easily 'feels' lighter than my 4S+case and feels significantly superior in quality to my friends iphone 5. The display is superb, just superb.

WP8 does feel like its in its early iteration but MS has done a commendable job on the product so far. The UI is so fluid that it makes my iphone 4S seem like a cave man's phone. It is that good.

Hopefully I don't hit the hard reset or battery issues reported here. But that is the price to pay for early platform adoption. The next iterations are all going to simply improve the platform.

I have worked quite a bit on embedded Linux kernels and the Windows CE kernel so I am well aware of how hard it is to optimize these kernels. In that respect I am really impressed by how well optimized WP8 is and running on the same kernel as the desktop. Simply amazing.

WP8 is a solid alternative, and is here to stay. I have no doubts about that. Nokia you have my vote.

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't agree with the FB part. The FB app on WP is far worse than those on ios/ android. It crashes a lot( in my case) and you can't tag people in the comment.

rdd07

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got my black 920 today amazing hardware :winktongue:, was so excited but left cold with the file syncing, i cant believe they got rid of zune, it was the best

ripple23

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't agree with the FB part. The FB app on WP is far worse than those on ios/ android. It crashes a lot( in my case) and you can't tag people in the comment.

used the app for > 30 mins continuous and didn't crash for me. Guess I got lucky. Thanks for the tip on tagging comments. I use that a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3