Switched from iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 today

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, I got that "what did I just do" feeling at first wondering how I would get by without an iPhone (I'm a pretty hardcore Apple person), but after half a day with the Lumia 920 in San Diego, I'm confident I made the right choice. I'm sure I'll be posting a lot in these forums now!

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AW: Switched from iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 today

Did the same and no regrets :).
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_248 using Board Express

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: AW: Switched from iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 today

The only thing is I totally forgot about the charging plate until after I left the Microsoft Store. I'm not going to lie, I think some of the WP apps are horrible, but I believe the hardware is superior. Transit directions, offline Nokia Drive in Mexico, the camera, the build quality, the screen, are all making up for the missing/substandard apps. It just feels more like an international phone which is cool.

UofMBob

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Got rid of the iphone5 lifestyle last week and have found it is a bit of a workaround for the many apps that are missing but I think I will grow with the windows platform in much the same way I did with iOS.

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I too switched from an iPhone 5 to 920. I have the same feelings as all of you. I love the concept of this platform and I hope this is the right time to dive in with both feet and support Microsoft so that it does take off.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Iphone5 was a huge letdown for everyone, so the switch is totally understandable.

How are you guys feeling about the switch, indepth? More than "its great" :p ?

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest.. My first day I got a headache because it's so different than iOS. I made the switch for a few reasons though. I wanted something fresh. Windows phone feels very fresh and modern (no pun intended). I also love bleeding edge tech and the Lumia 920 fit the bill perfectly with OIS and the pure motion tech. I also upgraded to Windows 8 recently and I wanted something consistent between desktop and mobile. I hope MS can tighten this up so that one day my desktop, mobile, and maybe tablet purchase will one day be in perfect harmony through the cloud and share the same apps across all 3 platforms.

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest.. My first day I got a headache because it's so different than iOS. I made the switch for a few reasons though. I wanted something fresh. Windows phone feels very fresh and modern (no pun intended). I also love bleeding edge tech and the Lumia 920 fit the bill perfectly with OIS and the pure motion tech. I also upgraded to Windows 8 recently and I wanted something consistent between desktop and mobile. I hope MS can tighten this up so that one day my desktop, mobile, and maybe tablet purchase will one day be in perfect harmony through the cloud and share the same apps across all 3 platforms.

I"m still pretty much an Apple person (iPad mini, MacBook Pro, Apple TV), but I felt a bit let down with the iPhone 5, and there was no way I was going Android. The Lumia did feel like brick after using the iPhone 5 at first, but that is gone now and it feels fine. Haven't even used the Lumia 24 hours yet so I"m still forming an opinion.

Letthiswork1

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I went from iPhone 4 to 920 and when i first got it i thought it was a rookie move. I thought there would be no apps and the tiles were impossible.

I have had it just for a day now and i love it so much. Best move i ever made. Nokia/Microsoft did an awesome job.

Only Cons for me is having to drag down to see what connection i am on 3G/4G and no battery percentage (have an app) other then that its great. I am surprised by how many apps there are to be honest

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Congrats and welcome to WP Central. I hope Windows Phone will streamline appreciable parts of your mobile experience compared with your time on iOS.

Only Cons for me is having to drag down to see what connection i am on 3G/4G and no battery percentage (have an app) other then that its great. I am surprised by how many apps there are to be honest

An idea of a data connection check should be supported more in apps similar to how IE notifies you when you bring up the settings options for sure, but in general the original idea was to minimize chrome. As far as battery is concerned MS didn't want you to worry about constantly checking battery percentages with the battery saver kicking in once it reached 20%

azasadny

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'll be following this thread as I'm curious about your experience with the 920. I got rid of my iPhone 3GS and got it, but that was an old phone (new when I got it). I love the 920 and I'm curious as to your perceptions. Thanks for posting!

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have actually been pleasantly surprised with some of the apps I did find (Rdio, Chase bank, Fandango, an official google search app). Its nowhere near as bad as it could be with a Blackberry. So far, my favorite thing about this phone is the build quality and appearance. I get a big screen phone that still looks sleek and minimalist like an iPhone, without looking dorky (Android). The only issue I'm having is 3.5 hours battery life on a complete charge this morning, and all I really did was play locally stored music. Also, the phone doesn't charge when hooked up to my laptop!

Banner18

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My family has broken in 3 Lumia 920s and the first couple days battery life sucked on all 3...but after that the battery life has really been great...no complaints....the phone does a lot when u first get it to sync all your accounts and contacts etc, and it seems to in my opinion drain much more battery early on than any of my androids, but once you settle in the battery life for me has been great....and I push it pretty hard...

I am an android convert that is very happy...along with my surface...

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My family has broken in 3 Lumia 920s and the first couple days battery life sucked on all 3...but after that the battery life has really been great...no complaints....the phone does a lot when u first get it to sync all your accounts and contacts etc, and it seems to in my opinion drain much more battery early on than any of my androids, but once you settle in the battery life for me has been great....and I push it pretty hard...

I am an android convert that is very happy...along with my surface...

Thats good to hear. I have a Telcel Lumia 610 to use in Mexico, and I'm about to install W8 on my MacBook Pro through BootCamp...I think that's about as far into the Microsoft world as I'll go:)

Letthiswork1

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
An idea of a data connection check should be supported more in apps similar to how IE notifies you when you bring up the settings options for sure, but in general the original idea was to minimize chrome. As far as battery is concerned MS didn't want you to worry about constantly checking battery percentages with the battery saver kicking in once it reached 20%

Yes i agree, i find it frustrating where i live i am in and out of 4G so its nice to know... With such a big screen seems alittle trivial to not show this.
Also for some reason my exchange contacts wont fully import which is driving me nuts.

Apart from that.. best phone ever by far <3

Clay Whitaker

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Visited a verizon store today and played with the 8x and the lumia. I seemed to like the feel of the 8x over lumia, but need to research the details a little better.

What I'm hearing here...on WPcentral, is that the phone doesn't charge when plugged into USB and that there isn't a way to connect to a network storage device wirelessly to transfer files, also, a file explorer app, such as Astro in Android. Kinda disappointing. I still am very interested in hopes I'm just not knowledgeable of the method.

My contract is up in March, so I'm looking hard at these, love the concept of home PC and mobile working together.

Letthiswork1

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
What I'm hearing here...on WPcentral, is that the phone doesn't charge when plugged into USB

My 920 charges on USB its just a lot slower then wall socket...

and that there isn't a way to connect to a network storage device wirelessly to transfer files, also, a file explorer app, such as Astro in Android. Kinda disappointing. I still am very interested in hopes I'm just not knowledgeable of the method.

I havent tried wireless data transferral apart from skydrive.. but thats more cloud hosting.. I know you can plug via USB and use it as a USB. add new folders, any file type (even .exe). I love features like that..

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, I got that "what did I just do" feeling at first wondering how I would get by without an iPhone (I'm a pretty hardcore Apple person), but after half a day with the Lumia 920 in San Diego, I'm confident I made the right choice. I'm sure I'll be posting a lot in these forums now!

I'm a hardcore Apple person too. My first was an Apple II+ when I was 7 years old and I've always had an Apple of one kind or another ever since then, right up to today.

I thought everything Microsoft did sucked until I saw Windows Phone and Windows 7. I still use a Mac, but I use Win 7 also now and I love my Windows Phone. As much as I am an Apple fan, iOS just doesn't do it for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3