Talk me off the ledge

dzdj

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I have been a furious supporter of Windows Phone for some time... Ok -- since launch... My history with Windows Phones are as follows:

HTC Surround
LG Qantum
Samsung Focus
HTC Titan
Lumia 900
Lumia 920

I am starting to get frustrated with Windows Phone 8. I never really *****ed about the lack of apps because the apps that I could find worked really well. But when I upgraded from my 900 to my 920, I felt like there were going to be more premium apps available from the get go. Yet, apps that I love to use, like Spotify, don't have a Windows Phone app. Yeah, all the Nokia perks are nice, but if I were to move back to an iPhone, I would have many apps like that and more. I tried Xbox music and hated it, I tried Nokia Music and hated it and am thinking about having to use my 900 again so I can listen to music while I am on the go again.

The camera app (and lenses) while cool, aren't nearly as easy to use as something like the iPhone's panorama mode -- something I fell in love with when I had to use a loaner 4S from work as my Limua 900 was being replaced. I feel like we, as a loyal fanbase, aren't getting much to write home about anymore. Yes -- live tiles are cool. Yes -- Windows Phone has Xbox integration. After that you really don't get much to really praise anymore.

I am thinking about selling my Lumia 920. I had a red one up until last Friday, when I could take the bad battery any more. As it turns out, according to the Microsoft rep I talked to, there was a bug with the battery in first-rum Lumia 920s that cause the battery to drain like no other. Yeah, my black Lumia really is working well but that doesn't mean I have confidence in the phone working well.

What should I do? I am ready to sell this at a loss to pick up an iPhone 5 just to get back to some sense of normalcy.

I love live tiles. It is one of the few things that are still keeping me around.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I miss Spotify, but not enough to give up on the rest of the phone which I love. I would just say that any company that invested time/money in a win7phone app with a tiny market segment will put out an app for a bigger win8phone market. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Depending on where you live you might be able to get Wimp instead of Spotify. I like their software clients way more. If a company you are paying cannot bring you a product you can use, stop paying them and go with the competition.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay, sounds like you should just sell it.

Personally, Id just download some music to have on my phone until the Spotify app is ready, and I personally find Nokia Music entertaining to use with standup comedy :p .

Iunno, you sound like you dont want to have a Lumia 920, in which case you should... not have one. Makes sense to me.

Personally, I wouldnt touch iOS with a ten-foot leased-under-a-false-name pole, since I find it horrific to use. Android I enjoy, though, so I get the point about availability.

I dont get how the panorama app is so difficult, though? One-press-launch if need be, or three if you launch the camera first, iirc (camera->lenses->panorama), then just... take the picture.

But thats me. I like WP8 far more than any of the other OSes Ive tried on smartphones so far. Sure its not as customizeable as Maemo5, sure its not as app-filled as JB, but its still the best homescreen solution Ive had, and the integration of social networks with contacts, me-tile and gallery is perfect for me.

dzdj

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I miss Spotify, but not enough to give up on the rest of the phone which I love. I would just say that any company that invested time/money in a win7phone app with a tiny market segment will put out an app for a bigger win8phone market. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.
It isn't just Spotify, but I used Spotify so much that waiting for it to automagically appear at an unknown data is frustrating. I can't find that many differences between WP7 and WP8 other than the Start Screen that really makes this "new." I know they did a lot more than just the home screen, like wallet, NFC and other new features like that... but even with the OIS, it doesn't feel like the camera app was improved at all, which kinda shocked me.

Okay, sounds like you should just sell it.

Personally, Id just download some music to have on my phone until the Spotify app is ready, and I personally find Nokia Music entertaining to use with standup comedy :p .

Iunno, you sound like you dont want to have a Lumia 920, in which case you should... not have one. Makes sense to me.

Personally, I wouldnt touch iOS with a ten-foot leased-under-a-false-name pole, since I find it horrific to use. Android I enjoy, though, so I get the point about availability.

I dont get how the panorama app is so difficult, though? One-press-launch if need be, or three if you launch the camera first, iirc (camera->lenses->panorama), then just... take the picture.

But thats me. I like WP8 far more than any of the other OSes Ive tried on smartphones so far. Sure its not as customizeable as Maemo5, sure its not as app-filled as JB, but its still the best homescreen solution Ive had, and the integration of social networks with contacts, me-tile and gallery is perfect for me.
Right, so have you used the Panorama feature on iOS 6? I compared a panorama I took at our local football stadium and the iPhone panorama looks leaps and bounds better. The "take a picture - rotate the phone - take another picture" actually confused the Lumia and wouldn't take the panorama at first. It took about 3 or 4 tries to get it to work. The iOS one just went. I know I have said I never want to touch iOS or Android again in the past, but iOS, for as dated as it is, might be where I end up.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
See ya.

Btw, I have decided you should have soup and crackers for lunch tomorrow, wear jeans and a red button down shirt, and drink cranberry juice instead of orange juice.

Any other decisions you'd like me to make for you?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Right, so have you used the Panorama feature on iOS 6?

No, thats why I asked the question :) .

I compared a panorama I took at our local football stadium and the iPhone panorama looks leaps and bounds better. The "take a picture - rotate the phone - take another picture" actually confused the Lumia and wouldn't take the panorama at first. It took about 3 or 4 tries to get it to work. The iOS one just went. I know I have said I never want to touch iOS or Android again in the past, but iOS, for as dated as it is, might be where I end up.

Fair enough. Best of luck :) .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3