Does WP8 turn off data after a period of inactivity?

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I know that WP8 turns off wifi after the screen goes inactive and that itself is annoying. But does it turn of cellular data after a period of inactivity? I ask this because push email isn't working lately and only seems to work if the screen is on or for a short period of time after it has been turned off. I am getting very frustrated with it and have missed some very important emails over the last week.

I have both a live.com and a gmail address setup on my 920 for push email. Neither are working correctly. Push email is delayed 15-20 minutes if it even pushes out at all. The device doesn't sync back any changes I make to the live inbox such as deleting emails or moving to other folder unless I manually sync.

I never have had these issues before and unless I can get this fixed it will become a real show stopper.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Data isn't turned off automatically, at least that I am aware of. I still get notifications pushed real time after hours of no activity.

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe it WILL do that after a period of inactivity IF you have the power save feature turned on. Look in settings under BatterySaver

I do know that battery saver is turned off. As I spend more and more time on this senseless issue, I have been on the phone with att and microsoft. It is not a phone/network/data issue as my gmail is actually working just fine. Att sent a series of test emails to my gmail account and they pushed out just fine. What it is looking like is my live account and any address associated with it is the problem. I have an outlook.com address that is linked to my live account and that won't push either. Microsoft has no idea why but is investigating. I suppose I can just forward my live.com email to my gmail account and that should solve it for the moment but in the long run I have to get this fixed.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
That push delay when syncing actions like delete is by (idiotic) design. So you can thank somebody smart at MS for that decision.

Push notifications in WP are super unreliable in general. That's just a persistent problem with the platform and it looks like MS is doing nothing to fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium