Is This listing Posting True about Unlocked ATT Phone on Ebay from this Developer?

justsimpleinfo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I came across this ebay posting, and you have to scroll down to read the sellers full description, but he says he has 2 or 3 At&t phones that he has unlocked and is selling for cheaper than the original Developer unlocked versions.

So......... I am not a developer, but is this true that Developers can unlock the phone and then sell it ????

Nokia Lumia 920 ATT Developer Phone Unlocked Brand New | eBay

"This phone is brand new. As all my phones are, this Phone has a clear ESN and is ready for you to pop a SIM card of your choice in. I only opened the box to make sure everything was in it, and to plug it into my Windows 8 Developer acct to unlock the phone. I am an amateur app developer for Android, Google, and Windows 8. Windows 8 charges $100 for this ability. With my acct I can have three Windows 8 phones unlocked. This is one of the three. I have 1 more that I want to use to debug and test apps. THIS IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE PHONES PEOPLE PICKED UP AT THE DEVELOPERS CONFERANCE, THEY ARE LOADED WITH PROBLEMS, AND IF YOU ARE NOT A DEVELOPER, YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY BUYING ONE AND THINKING IT IS A CONVENTIONAL UNLOCKED PHONE. CONNECTION PROBLEMS, TONS OF PROGRAMMING NEEDED TO BE DONE.

NOT MINE. It is brand new and unlocked just like from the factory. I just plug it into the laptop, Windows 8 SDK Developer Tool opens automatically, and you click on one button. That unlocks the phone. You can go on to develop the phone, but with this one I just put it back in the box unlocked. Nothing else is changed."

That is what is listed....... I didn't write it whoever posted the listing did..... I am not supporting him, I just want to get it out there to make sure if it is legit or if someone is going to be taken for....

Last edited:

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I came across this ebay posting, and you have to scroll down to read the sellers full description, but he says he has 2 or 3 At&t phones that he has unlocked and is selling for cheaper than the original Developer unlocked versions.

So......... I am not a developer, but is this true that Developers can unlock the phone and then sell it ????

Nokia Lumia 920 ATT Developer Phone Unlocked Brand New | eBay

"This phone is brand new. As all my phones are, this Phone has a clear ESN and is ready for you to pop a SIM card of your choice in. I only opened the box to make sure everything was in it, and to plug it into my Windows 8 Developer acct to unlock the phone. I am an amateur app developer for Android, Google, and Windows 8. Windows 8 charges $100 for this ability. With my acct I can have three Windows 8 phones unlocked. This is one of the three. I have 1 more that I want to use to debug and test apps. THIS IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE PHONES PEOPLE PICKED UP AT THE DEVELOPERS CONFERANCE, THEY ARE LOADED WITH PROBLEMS, AND IF YOU ARE NOT A DEVELOPER, YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY BUYING ONE AND THINKING IT IS A CONVENTIONAL UNLOCKED PHONE. CONNECTION PROBLEMS, TONS OF PROGRAMMING NEEDED TO BE DONE.

NOT MINE. It is brand new and unlocked just like from the factory. I just plug it into the laptop, Windows 8 SDK Developer Tool opens automatically, and you click on one button. That unlocks the phone. You can go on to develop the phone, but with this one I just put it back in the box unlocked. Nothing else is changed."

That is what is listed....... I didn't right it whoever posted the listing did..... I am not supporting him, I just want to get it out there to make sure if it is legit or if someone is going to be taken for....
He probably confuse between unlocking to side loading apps and unlocking to use phone service. Clearly the Windows Phone Dev Registration said that for debugging and testing apps, not for using with carrier. These two unlocking are different, one is based on your IMEI, and one is actually based on the OS.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So, people like myself that want a Lumia 920 for TMo need to keep looking! I knew it was too good to be true...
Yup, wait for like 3 more months. By that time, AT&T might get another better phone with an exclusive and Tmo people will get the left-over of AT&T. :eck: Or alternative way is to go with Rogers version which easy to unlock than AT&T if you have friend in Canada, otherwise, wait a little bit to see if hacker can find a way to unlock these.

justsimpleinfo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yup, wait for like 3 more months. By that time, AT&T might get another better phone with an exclusive and Tmo people will get the left-over of AT&T. :eck: Or alternative way is to go with Rogers version which easy to unlock than AT&T if you have friend in Canada, otherwise, wait a little bit to see if hacker can find a way to unlock these.

Thanks for the reply, yea, no friends aye... up in Canada.

I will wait it out and keep using my 710

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. And if you have to hard reset your phone, or Microsoft pushes out a major update (like Mango) you lose that developer unlock, and need to do it again, from the developers PC! So buyers beware.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... Oh, and when he wants to sell another one, he logs into his dev account, unregisters that one and registers the next one to sell on eBay, and all the apps you side loaded (max 10 anyway) will automatically uninstall and the phone becomes a normal phone once again, without you even realizing it.

Oh, and he's probably violating Microsoft's TOS, so why should he care about violating you? I'd like to know his dev name so I don't buy any of his apps....

I'm a dev, and I'd never trust this guy.

hfcas

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a dev version 920 from build 2012. Got it from Craigslist for 675 bucks about one month ago.so far so good. But I am wondering how to side load third party apps. Is that doable on this phone?
He probably confuse between unlocking to side loading apps and unlocking to use phone service. Clearly the Windows Phone Dev Registration said that for debugging and testing apps, not for using with carrier. These two unlocking are different, one is based on your IMEI, and one is actually based on the OS.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a dev version 920 from build 2012. Got it from Craigslist for 675 bucks about one month ago.so far so good. But I am wondering how to side load third party apps. Is that doable on this phone?
You need to have a developer account. If you are a student, then you get it free by going to Dreamspark and verify your school, but you can only sideload maximum of 3 apps. To get up to 10 apps, you need to sign up for the normal account, which is $99 for a year. Or wait sometimes in the future when Chevron gets back to business or someone at XDA provides us with custom ROMs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3