We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree4Likes
  1. LevSer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    One of these apps will seriously reduce your batterylife. It's more likely that the Photo Beamer app is causing this but I can't say for sure.


    • After installing both of these apps and using them 55% battery charge showed 6 hours usage time left.
    • After uninstalling both of these apps 55% battery charge now shows 1 day 18 hours usage time left.


    I am too lazy, and I don't find these apps all that useful, to test which one of the named apps is really causing this issue.

    I have, however, concluded the following:
    • Restarting your phone with these apps doesn't fix the problem.
    • Uninstalling these apps without restarting doesn't fix the problem.
    • The only known fix is to uninstall both apps and then restart the phone.


    EDIT:
    As for testing in a controlled state the usage was exactly the same. Same settings for email accounts before and after. Logged in to facebook chat before and after (without sending or receiving any messages). Phone was lying flat on my table for a few minutes and only unlocked to check battery life.
    • 52% battery charge now shows 13 hours.
    Last edited by LevSer; 12-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.
  2. boo516's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I agree.
  3. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,152 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I have both installed and no battery drain here
  4. sudakoma's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Pretty pointless thread............

    Update: thanks for adding a bit more information as to why you felt it was these 2 apps causing your battery problems, however, the battery remaining time will change all the time depending on recent usage.
    Last edited by sudakoma; 12-05-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: OP added more information
    riffraffy likes this.
  5. Daniel Rubino's Avatar
    Editor-in-chief

    Posts
    992 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I have both installed and ZERO issues. Plus I see no theory here on why these apps, which do not operate in the background, would cause battery drain.

    I'm a scientist by training. Give me a hypothesis. There's one for Drive+ but not for these apps. (Speaking of, taking a problem you're experiencing and extrapolating and generalizing that to everyone else is bad logic. The alarmist tone here is hyperbolic).
  6. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,494 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,529 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    I got photo beamer, used it yesterday, no drain. I dont ahve ringtone maker.
  7. LevSer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    I have both installed and ZERO issues. Plus I see no theory here on why these apps, which do not operate in the background, would cause battery drain.

    I'm a scientist by training. Give me a hypothesis. There's one for Drive+ but not for these apps. (Speaking of, taking a problem you're experiencing and extrapolating and generalizing that to everyone else is bad logic. The alarmist tone here is hyperbolic).
    I agree that they shouldn't cause any battery drain since they cannot operate in the background. I am however experiencing what I stated above with the same usage before and after.

    I created the thread cause I was experiencing this issue but I must admit that the name of the thread is a bit too dramatic. Maybe you can be change it to something less provoking.
  8. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    No drain here with PhotoBeamer. I'll install Ringtone Maker, but I doubt that will drain anything when not in use.

    I agree with Daniel. At least have a hypothesis as to why you believe those apps are draining power. It's hard to believe that you can make such a conclusion based on just day to day use because that's not a controlled environment. You do a lot of things and go to different environments during the day, all of which could have an effect on battery life.
  9. fc000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    I installed and ran Photobeamer 2 days ago and ran a quick test with it. The following day, I had my battery drained down to 30% in under 3 hours. A reboot corrected the issue. This was the only new app to be installed during that time, and I ran no other apps other than my usual ones on those days, all of which have not caused a battery drain issue.
  10. boo516's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I too experienced this and did receive better (though not great) battery life after uninstalling them. Like the thread I started, I found it hard to believe that these apps could cause problems because they are 1st party apps made by nokia. However for some reason they do zap battery on my phone even when not running.
  11. LevSer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Before: Logged in to facebook in messenger hub, but other than that idle state.
    After uninstalling: Logged in to facebook in messenger hub, but other than that idle state.

    I barely touch my phone when I'm in the home office, it's just lying flat on the table. So I'm 100% sure the usage was the same before as after.
  12. TK2011's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Sigh...here we go again.

    The time remaining shown is a function of your most recent usage pattern!!! The same 53% could be 1 day or 3 hours depending on what you did on your phone in the past hour or so. That's how the OS calculates the time remaining.
    nitrocs, ibbyj and kevinxb like this.
  13. riffraffy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    No issues--at all--with PhotoBeamer.

    Awesome app. Just awesome. Thanks Nokia !

    Can't wait to see what they come up with next....
    ibbyj likes this.
  14. boo516's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK2011 View Post
    Sigh...here we go again.

    The time remaining shown is a function of your most recent usage pattern!!! The same 53% could be 1 day or 3 hours depending on what you did on your phone in the past hour or so. That's how the OS calculates the time remaining.
    That's good to know, however in my situation it shows 6 hours with little usage.
  15. LevSer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK2011 View Post
    Sigh...here we go again.

    The time remaining shown is a function of your most recent usage pattern!!! The same 53% could be 1 day or 3 hours depending on what you did on your phone in the past hour or so. That's how the OS calculates the time remaining.
    Agreed. But how does that explain the fact that restarting the phone didn't change anything (this takes about 20 seconds) while uninstalling and then restarting caused an immediate jump (this takes about 40 seconds).

    If the observed anomaly is due to what you say that must have meant that a recalculation was triggered right after the phone booted up the second time.

    I had noticed the same issue as in the thread by boo516 a few days earlier. I noticed the common apps as I read the thread today, picked up my phone, restarted the phone, checked battery life, same time estimate. I then navigated to app menu, uninstalled the apps, restarted the phone, checked battery life and had a new estimate. Again, this was in my home office, where my phone is barely touched, and the only activity is being logged in to facebook chat and updating my email every 30 min.

    Perhaps the uninstallation of the apps triggered a recalculation of the battery time or a very timely email update?

    Honestly, I don't know what is causing this, but there are as many people calling me crazy in this thread as there are people saying their chargers hasn't destroyed their phones. Currently I'm going to stay away from those two apps and see if the charger has any effect. Hopefully more people can debunk one of the issues so that we can know for sure.
  16. RockPaperBFG's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    I have not had these issues and have both apps installed.
  17. camaroguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Does photobeamer use Bluetooth? I noticed on my phone that even turning Bluetooth on really sucks my battery, there could be a correlation here. It could be that only some phones are affected in this way by the Bluetooth being turned on. My phone also feels warm to the touch when its just idling if I have Bluetooth on, but not when Bluetooth is off.
  18. LikeWaah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Have both apps, no issues with battery life at all. In fact, I forgot to charge my phone last night and it still has a pretty full charge.
  19. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    in more positive news. here's a nice video showing exactly how photobeamer works.

  20. Daniel Rubino's Avatar
    Editor-in-chief

    Posts
    992 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    What about Skype? Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Make sure under Settings --> Accounts none are in a permanent "sync" status.
  21. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    I don't suppose that you might still have a browser open on the PC or tablet where you connected Photobeamer?
  22. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    I have both apps installed and have had for days now (well, I got PhotoBeamer the day it was out and Ringtone Maker yesterday) and I have seen no difference in battery drain. Wordament, now, there's an app that can drain a battery, but that only happens when I'm actually playing the game. Just sitting there it's fine. :)
  23. lordofthereef's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    So this thread was born based on a single persons anecdotal evidence of a couple of installed apps? That's... cool.

    FWIW my "battery remaining" estimate is always wacky. It seems to go with whatever you were doing that minute (from what I can tell). I have seen it jump from multipls days to a handful of hours just doing some simple tasks. I would be willing to bet that it was installing these apps and it calculated time remaining based on the download and processing neeed to get the apps installed. I could be wrong, but either way, it isn't something that has been too reliable for me.
  24. LevSer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    What about Skype? Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Make sure under Settings --> Accounts none are in a permanent "sync" status.
    Skype was installed on the day I got the phone so I don't think that has much to do with it. I haven't had any conversations (video, voice or message) by skype over the phone yet so the skype usage should be pretty consistant. I also haven't manually launched the app in two days.

    A second notice is that I used the pro version of the Battery App by Alex Golesh to "measure" this and it seems to be pretty quick with updating the estimated time. If I go from an idle state into the battery app it will give me a pretty standard estimate. If I then go out and launch a bunch of apps, then open the battery app again it will give me a new, lower, estimate.

    I think Alex's app provides a very current estimate rather than something based off of hours of previous usage during the day. Not that it should matter since, my usage was the same in both cases.

    EDIT:

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    So this thread was born based on a single persons anecdotal evidence of a couple of installed apps? That's... cool.

    FWIW my "battery remaining" estimate is always wacky. It seems to go with whatever you were doing that minute (from what I can tell). I have seen it jump from multipls days to a handful of hours just doing some simple tasks. I would be willing to bet that it was installing these apps and it calculated time remaining based on the download and processing neeed to get the apps installed. I could be wrong, but either way, it isn't something that has been too reliable for me.
    Well the poor battery life was experienced the day after installing and trying the apps as well as trying the wireless charger. It wasn't as if I installed the app and then immediately looked for a drop in the estimate. I did the before/after estimate check a day after the app was installed. So in your case the estimate should decrease after uninstalling since that if anything would consume more power when compared to sitting idle on a desk.

    I'll try doing some more tests tonight so that I can conclude wether this is due to the apps, the charger, or if I'm perhaps schizophrenic :D
    Last edited by LevSer; 12-05-2012 at 03:29 PM.
  25. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,821 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    What about Skype? Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Make sure under Settings --> Accounts none are in a permanent "sync" status.
    I have my exchange account setup to constantly sync, since work pays my phone bill, and I have what I would consider relatively good day to day battery performance.

    I have a theory that most of the sudden battery drains are probably the result of extended periods of poor signal or buttons getting pressed while in a pocket.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saving videos and ringtones in tango?
    By waym1962 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. Stay away from the samsung Focus Flash!
    By webosisalive! in forum Samsung Focus Flash 4G
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM
  4. Photo Tile and a Couple Other Questions
    By Scorask in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
  5. A few questions about battery percent and ringtones
    By ericreinhardt in forum HTC Trophy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 03:25 AM

Posting Permissions

";