Thinking about giving it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to sound short, but if a twitter app is enough to make you give up an entire operating system, well, let's just say we have differing opinions on priorities. I just can't believe how many people put social networking as their #1.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to sound short, but if a twitter app is enough to make you give up an entire operating system, well, let's just say we have differing opinions on priorities. I just can't believe how many people put social networking as their #1.

I agree, I also wonder if the blackberry torch did the notifications that she is looking for?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
that doesnt work either....thanks though.

Really?

Hmm... I have no idea why you're not getting notifications. I get notifications for every Tweet mention, direct message, Facebook wall post, and Facebook reply.

This is the same MS Account that's linked to your phone, correct?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is very efficient, and you may grow to love it. But it does have a learning curve if you are used to different data management philosophies.

Here is how you can get your Twitter notifications.

Do you have your Twitter linked to your Microsoft Account?

If not, go into your email on your regular desktop computer and go to the upper right hand corner and click on your name.
Then choose Edit Profile
Choose Add Accounts

Add your Twitter Account.

Doing this will give you an alert, by sending you a text message.

I am actually trying to set this up myself. So this is actually supposed to alert me in the form of a text (SMS)? I seem to have both facebook and twitter linked (when I click either one it takes me directly to my FB or Twitter, respectively, and it's logged in) but I also don't seem to get a an SMS update?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I am actually trying to set this up myself. So this is actually supposed to alert me in the form of a text (SMS)? I seem to have both facebook and twitter linked (when I click either one it takes me directly to my FB or Twitter, respectively, and it's logged in) but I also don't seem to get a an SMS update?

SMS notifications are set up the the Twitter and FB apps themselves, not on Windows Phone settings.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
SMS notifications are set up the the Twitter and FB apps themselves, not on Windows Phone settings.

Aha! I sort of figured that I was was messing with my settings while logged in. To be clear, I can change this from the website right? I don't HAVE to do it from the app?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Isn't Windows Phone all about putting people first AND built around you?

Social networking is the heart of WP. Other than that there is nothing to attract i.e. Crap enterprise support, horrible entertainment value and lets not even think about lack of apps!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is very efficient, and you may grow to love it. But it does have a learning curve if you are used to different data management philosophies.

Here is how you can get your Twitter notifications.

Do you have your Twitter linked to your Microsoft Account?

If not, go into your email on your regular desktop computer and go to the upper right hand corner and click on your name.
Then choose Edit Profile
Choose Add Accounts

Add your Twitter Account.

Doing this will give you an alert, by sending you a text message.

Wont the network provider charge her?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I use social networking for keeping in touch with those I know and for news updates, etc etc

I dont use my phone for videos or music or gaming....

If you told this to me, I would know you want a WP as nothing in this world is meant to "integrate" people you care about as good as WP!

But being in your place totally sucks. I bet if some of us WP-users tried to post in FML, we would top it!

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

First thing I did to my phone was to kill any social apps dissected the entire os for data with b/g apps. If I could I would love to be able to trash embedded apps within the OS.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Aha! I sort of figured that I was was messing with my settings while logged in. To be clear, I can change this from the website right? I don't HAVE to do it from the app?

Yes, go on the website and in Twitter under notifications, you can get a SMS for just about anything. Same with Facebook. You probably can't do it in the apps.

And YES, social networking in Windows Phone is built in and great. Facebook app is a bit weak, but heck, you have the People hub and group and individual tiles.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
First thing I did to my phone was to kill any social apps dissected the entire os for data with b/g apps. If I could I would love to be able to trash embedded apps within the OS.

While I don't completely understand what you said, I think you mean you don't want social networking embedded in the Windows Phone OS. If that's the case, why did you get a Windows Phone?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Windows Phone all about putting people first AND built around you?

Social networking is the heart of WP. Other than that there is nothing to attract i.e. Crap enterprise support, horrible entertainment value and lets not even think about lack of apps!

In terms of integration, it IS integrated well. Quite a lot better than any of the other options, frankly. Push notifications are a problem from within the apps themselves, all done by a third party. Be upset by that.

WP philosophy started with getting you unglued from your phone. I feel lack of push in social media (talking built in here) is a conscious effort on their part to keep your phone from buzzing off the hook. If you want to see updates, your "Me" or "People" tile is just a tap away.

Interestingly, iOS had a piss poor Facebook app for YEARS and only got something better in the last 3 months. All of the sudden people are incredibly critical of the facebook app for WP. Twitter, on iOS, is still terrible, always has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077