Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rockstarzzz
  1. Visual360's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
       #1  
    Okay, I'm beginning to lose fate in this. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this device, but this seems ridiculous.

    Anyway, the 920 is technically my first foray into WP (tried the 900 and didn't like it), and I'm really loving the device. Long story short, couple days back, I was convince that I'm sticking to WP8, and hence I reset my phone to start fresh since I now quite familiar with the device/OS. Lo and behold, my device turned into a brick just by resetting the damn thing. lol. Drove to the ATT store, and since I'm past the 14 days they will have to send me a different store to get a replacement. Once I get there, I was told since the Lumia 920 is such a new device they don't carry it in the facility and will have to ship the phone instead. Since I have a couple of phones lying around, it's really no big deal. So I agreed.

    Back home, I started reading about the phenomena and found out it's quite common, and quite an easy fix also. So, since there's nothing else to lose, I followed the instruction on how to un-brick the Lumia 920. Voila! I was able to fix my phone!

    So today, the replacement phone came in. First thing I did was to do a reset just to make sure...

    Drum roll please...

    Yup, brick! lol.

    Oh well. I'm beginning to think I made the wrong choice here, but WP8 is really growing on me, so I'll stick with it a bit more.

    Anyway, that's my story.

  2. #2  
    Sorry to hear your story, but i will continue to say it over and over again and i know this is not an option for everyone, but i will not buy a device from AT&T again, i dont like the crap software they load on their devices. I will stick to buying unlocked devices directly from Nokia.

    I took my international unlocked 920 and compared certain aspects of the software to the AT&T version, the software on the At&t 920 is different. As usual once again AT&T messes up a perfectly good device
  3. #3  
    The restore "brick" is a pretty well known issue. I am not sure what you expect Nokia to do about it short of patching it eventually. You have to understand, they need to figure out what is causing it. It can't be duplicated on a whim. I had the brick happen on one of my resets, but not the other. Others are sharing the same thing. So the bottom line is that there is a bug. Figuring out exactly what is causing the bug is likely what is causing the holdup.

    Is this your only complaint about the phone? If so, I wouldn't say you made the wrong choice. I mean, how often are you going to be restoring the device in the next few weeks/months before they patch in a fix?
  4. erzhik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #4  
    I don't even think this is a OEM issue. Seems more like a software issue that needs to be fixed my MSFT.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
    I don't even think this is a OEM issue. Seems more like a software issue that needs to be fixed my MSFT.
    Is it happening on other WP8 devices? I know there are other software issues on other devices, but I wasn't aware of this being one of them.
  6. JConn_Lefty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #6  
    i feel the same way.

    i've been using the iphone since it first came out. i'm over the iphone. been looking for something new and the 920 caught my eye.

    i've said this before and i'll say it again, this is disappointing granted both nokia and microsoft has been in the cell phone game for a while now.

    i'm on my 2nd 920 myself right now. if this unit doesn't hold up, i'll have to jump ship and wait for the updates to arrive.
  7. Flocons's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #7  
    I know that WP8 "isn't for everyone", and "you have to understand that Nokia needs to find the issue first". That's all fine and dandy. I just don't understand how this is getting past QA in the first place. For what it's worth, WP8 is arriving at a crucial time in the industry. Microsoft as an entity is already late to the party with their surface tablets, and if this is really the type of quality that we're going to have to expect, they've already lost. I don't care who's fault it is; be it Nokia or Microsoft, or even the OEM. Nokia and Microsoft are going to end up taking the blame. This product should not have been released in its current state.
    Thanked by:
  8. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #8  
    It needs to be fixed, but honestly it would probably be a good idea for people to stop spazzing out and doing hard resets on their brand new phones thinking that it's somehow going to magically make their battery last longer or improve something.
  9. TNL Nick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    . . . i will not buy a device from AT&T again, i dont like the crap software they load on their devices. I will stick to buying unlocked devices directly from Nokia.
    The AT&T apps on the 920 cleanly delete with no hassle whatsoever. This is a far cry from the AT&T junk that infested my previous phones. They just leave peacefully.
  10. Bundalings's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    Sorry to hear your story, but i will continue to say it over and over again and i know this is not an option for everyone, but i will not buy a device from AT&T again, i dont like the crap software they load on their devices. I will stick to buying unlocked devices directly from Nokia.

    I took my international unlocked 920 and compared certain aspects of the software to the AT&T version, the software on the At&t 920 is different. As usual once again AT&T messes up a perfectly good device
    You can uninstall any program on Windows Phone. I got rid of all but one bloatware ATT app in seconds. No biggie.

    Edit: Somehow I missed the post above... well, repeated for emphasis, then!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    Sorry to hear your story, but i will continue to say it over and over again and i know this is not an option for everyone, but i will not buy a device from AT&T again, i dont like the crap software they load on their devices. I will stick to buying unlocked devices directly from Nokia.

    I took my international unlocked 920 and compared certain aspects of the software to the AT&T version, the software on the At&t 920 is different. As usual once again AT&T messes up a perfectly good device
    Can you elaborate on what were the different aspects between the two? It will be VERY interesting as we all are under the impression that all carriers can do is add their apps and splash screen at boot.
    lordofthereef likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flocons View Post
    I know that WP8 "isn't for everyone", and "you have to understand that Nokia needs to find the issue first". That's all fine and dandy. I just don't understand how this is getting past QA in the first place.
    When Nokia refused to give us a release date weeks after the handset was announced everyone was saying "WTF?" I think we now know that they felt pressured into releasing this. Frankly, I think MS AND Nokia felt they had to get something out there to combat the iPhone 5 ASAP, especially with the blogosphere talks of how the iPhone 5 was not a worthy upgrade. Was this a good choice? In your eyes, I am guessing no. In my eyes? I don't know. In a perfect world, everything would have been ironed out. And in a perfect world, the consumer would be patient and wait for all of these bugs to be ironed out. But that just isn't the case. They'd rather just pick up whatever other handset is out there.
  13. gazcorb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #13  
    just updated the latest nokia over air service update (touch + something)
    phone rebooted and stuck at nokia logo screen

    rebooted using volume down + power 10secs
    time (maunally set) was forward 8 hours
    and text messages weren't updating in history :S

    rebooted again all ok

    but not after contacting nokia support who advised camera button + power + volume down HARD RESET!!!!
    told them to get lost

    ok now

    OS 8.0.9903.10
    firmware 1232.2110.1244.3011
    hardware 1.0
    radio 1.0.202041.3
    chip SOC ver: 8960
  14. Visual360's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
       #14  
    Nice to hear everyone's opinion around here. Some I agree, and I some I don't, but it's really nice get all these feedback.

    Anyway, as I have said, the replacement I got also had the bug, and fortunately the cure is just a couple of steps away. Using the method here I am also able to bring the device to life. So looks like the method is repeatable, so that's really good.

    I hope the permanent fix will come sooner than later.

  15. digginz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #15  
    Just happened to me... After 2 weeks (to the day) of perfect working order, now stuck on the NOKIA boot screen. Just did a hard reset and everything is back to norm. This was the reason why I left Android as my old phone would constantly reset itself, MS and Nokia has acknowledge the issue and an update early next year. Hope this isnt going to be a weekly/daily occurance.

    Does anyone know how to fix the time? This has happened since day one as my texts would be 8 hours in the future, I have restarted the phone and set to manual time/date but the message times are still stuffed...
  16. Visual360's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
       #16  
    One thing I forgot to mention is that after the "fix", I can factory reset my phone and it wont get stuck (brick) anymore. I did these on both of the phones, with the same positive result. Makes we want to think that it's definitely a software issue. I'm guessing the first batches of the device are the one's having this problem.

    Anyway, happy camper again.

    Oh, make sure to be patience on the cog wheel part. It'll eventually continue.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundalings View Post
    You can uninstall any program on Windows Phone. I got rid of all but one bloatware ATT app in seconds. No biggie.

    Edit: Somehow I missed the post above... well, repeated for emphasis, then!

    Its not about the programs installed by AT&T, its about the firmware on the phone that is customized and tailored for AT&T network.
  18. ynight's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #18  
    well I feel it's just part of your new experience..not really anyone's fault and there indeed is an easy solution
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesman3486 View Post
    Its not about the programs installed by AT&T, its about the firmware on the phone that is customized and tailored for AT&T network.
    I desperately ask again - can you please tell me more about this firmware that is different between AT&T and non-AT&T phones?

    I bet 95% of WPCentral crowd knows its only apps and splash screen that AT&T messes around with and of course disables (i.e. changes 1 to 0 and 0 to 1 in registry) certain features like internet sharing.

    But it will be VERY interesting to know how the firmwares are different because for all I know, WP doesn't allow carriers to mess about with the OS at all. Heck, only OEM that could tweak it to it's heart's content is Nokia!
  20. Davidkoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I desperately ask again - can you please tell me more about this firmware that is different between AT&T and non-AT&T phones?

    I bet 95% of WPCentral crowd knows its only apps and splash screen that AT&T messes around with and of course disables (i.e. changes 1 to 0 and 0 to 1 in registry) certain features like internet sharing.

    But it will be VERY interesting to know how the firmwares are different because for all I know, WP doesn't allow carriers to mess about with the OS at all. Heck, only OEM that could tweak it to it's heart's content is Nokia!
    Don't you guys got an AT&T logo on bootup? Aren't some frequency bands disabled on the AT&T version?

Similar Threads

  1. Seriously what is with all the NOKIA **** Kissing?
    By Bentstraight in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions