Switched from iPhone 5 to Nokia Lumia 920 but luck sucks

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I need to break this down the best way I possibly can so it's not misunderstood. I went in Monday to my AT&T store because I'm eligible for an upgrade on both of my lines. I decide to upgrade my main line to the iPhone 5. I had nothing but battery draining issues with this phone from the start. Even in standby, the new iPhone was eating my battery for breakfast. What seemed to be 2%-3% every 20-30 minutes from doing absolutely nothing. I finally Googled the issue and apparentely APPLE isn't talking about the problem. They released a more powerful iPhone 5 with a better everything BUT THE DAMN BATTERY!!!!!!!! How do you screw that up? They're using the same battery from the 4 and 4S. Naturally, I didn't want to jump through hoops to try and MAYBE(with no gurantees)get a better phone. I wasn't alone because there are thousands of complaints on the official APPLE forums alone. Yesterday, I said screw it. Let's go and pay the restocking fee and get me a Lumia 920 since I hear nothing but great things. I go and buy the white one. I bring it home, mess with it until it's down to about 4%, charge it on my computer to 100%, and then I went to bed. Before anyone asks, yes it was still working when I unplugged charge cable at 100%. So here we are now I've been trying to get this phone to work all morning. I don't know what the problem is. Black screen and I'm pushing every button possible and receiving NO response from this phone. It's doing absolutely nothing. I'm starting to feel like my luck has just been really bad this week or this AT&T store is giving me crap phones that they claim are brand new. I don't know where to point the finger :(

Polkka

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. This actually worked. Now what would be more helpful is if you or anyone else could tell me why this may have happened. I mean I just bought the phone yesterday
Sofrware issue,the update is coming soon. My phone has worked perfectly, wife's phone is turned off a few times...

mjperez100

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
happened to me for the first time yesterday. i wouldn't worry too much about it. im sure its a rare occurrence (for me at least) and a future update from nokia should fix this along with a few other quirks. enjoy your new 920, i know i am!

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. This actually worked. Now what would be more helpful is if you or anyone else could tell me why this may have happened. I mean I just bought the phone yesterday

I bought 2 Lumia 920's, a red for me and a black for my wife. Mine never did that but every so often my wife's lumia would be on stand by, full battery and wouldn't wake up unless I did a soft reset (Vol down + Power + Camera). Needless to say I had her's replaced and it hasn't happened again.

It could be a software issue but I recommend getting an exchange, it's the safest bet.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought 2 Lumia 920's, a red for me and a black for my wife. Mine never did that but every so often my wife's lumia would be on stand by, full battery and wouldn't wake up unless I did a soft reset (Vol down + Power + Camera). Needless to say I had her's replaced and it hasn't happened again.

It could be a software issue but I recommend getting an exchange, it's the safest bet.

They're not going to give me a refurbished are they? If it happens again in the next few day I will definitely do that

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I charge it on my computer to 100%, and then I went to bed. :(

I'm not to sure if the first charging of the phone from the computor is a good idea, its a much less powerful charge than from the wall plug charger.....possibly your battery wasnt fully charged even though it indicated 100%, and that might be because the charge indicator hadn't properly calibrated itself.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not to sure if the first charging of the phone from the computor is a good idea, its a much less powerful charge than from the wall plug charger.....possibly your battery wasnt fully charged even though it indicated 100%, and that might be because the charge indicator hadn't properly calibrated itself.

I will try and charge from the wall unless I'm adding songs/trying to create ringtones for the phone. I just hope this issue doesn't happen again. The AT&T store is over 30m away and I'm really not wanting to spend more gas money to go back and get a replacement :(

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The phone just shut itself off again. I've tried everything. Charged from the wall, charged from the computer, and it's done this to me again. This is unacceptable. I heard these were quality phones but I'm starting to have my doubts. I'm going into my store today to have them give me a replacement. Hopefully that one will give me much less headaches. Having to do a hard reset a second time in three days is just unacceptable to me. I should have known something was wrong the moment the phone began to lose charge in standby. Losing 4%-5% every hour with nearly every feature on the phone disabled is simply unacceptable.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol sorry for your troubles but welcome to the "companies that rush their phones to market with bugs " club (apple & Nokia). I'm waiting for my 3rd replacement .

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Why are you waiting? Just go in and have them hand it to you. Yeah, that's unfortunate to hear that you're on your third replacement. That in itself is unacceptable. It makes me worry that I'll have to go back for a third and possibly fourth replacement. With all of this said, AT&T were sorry for all my troubles and I don't have to pay my bill for nearly three months.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
With brand new phones you should charge it at least 24 hours from the wall power outlet. Also this random reboot shutdown thing, is it an At&T firmware problem? Folks in Europe don't seem to report as much. My 920 has been solid so far.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
With brand new phones you should charge it at least 24 hours from the wall power outlet. Also this random reboot shutdown thing, is it an At&T firmware problem? Folks in Europe don't seem to report as much. My 920 has been solid so far.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I just know that this is unacceptable. Could be a software/firmware problem. Again, I don't really know. What I do know is that I'd like a phone that works.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Because Nokia is sending me the replacement so they can due testing on my current phone. Att said they would send me either a refurb or would allow me to switch to the samsung gs3 but I have to pay the upgrade difference which at this point I might do if this next phone from Nokia is FUBAR like the rest. My wife and sister have iPhone 5s and have had battery issues but other than that the market place is alive and kicking and the phones are solid. They both got their replaced. I'm going on my 3rd L920 due to battery issues. My bro in law and a few coworkers have GS3s and have no battery or software issues. Looks like Samsung wins. I kinda wish I didn't jump on the preorder bandwagon and waste my upgrade . I should have held out longer

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Because Nokia is sending me the replacement so they can due testing on my current phone. Att said they would send me either a refurb or would allow me to switch to the samsung gs3 but I have to pay the upgrade difference which at this point I might do if this next phone from Nokia is FUBAR like the rest.

Why should you have to pay the upgrade difference? lol It's Nokia's bad and AT&T is the one selling you the phone. It should be on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills