Lens flare on Lumia 920

Mad MilkMan

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello people, been reading these forums for awhile but finally registered! I am having lens flare problems on my 920 in (most) but not all of my night shots. I'm not new to using my phone as my camera and never have I had such problems, no case or anything over my camera just wondering if there are settings that should be adjusted or if its a problem with taking night shots on a camera phone? Thanks in advance!

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The night pics I've taken have come out pretty good so far on my 920.

Do you have a case on your phone by chance? I had that problem with my iPhone. I had a plastic hard case on and when the flash went off it reflected on the shiny edge of the cover and caused a flare in the pic.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with night pictures, but I have had the occasional finger close to the flash that has caused me to have to retake a picture due to a bit of flare.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Hello people, been reading these forums for awhile but finally registered! I am having lens flare problems on my 920 in (most) but not all of my night shots. I'm not new to using my phone as my camera and never have I had such problems, no case or anything over my camera just wondering if there are settings that should be adjusted or if its a problem with taking night shots on a camera phone? Thanks in advance!

post a sample pic.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All lenses flare when a bright light source is toward the edge of the frame - it's one of the problems (or artistic opportunities) with optics. This phone's sensor is more sensitive than others in low-light conditions, so it probably makes the flare more apparent. That's one of the tradeoffs of being able to get decent night shots with a phone.

So I guess the solution is: keep bright light sources away from the edges of your frame and you should be fine :)

Please do post samples, though - we might have some better insight if we can see what you're shooting.

more reading on lens flares: Understanding Camera Lens Flare

-s

Mad MilkMan

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I know they are blurry but i am just using them as an example of the lens flare.. The lights are not right off the screen.. Is it possible that I need to angle the phone one direction or the other?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - that almost looks like there's grease or something on the lens. Did you try cleaning it off w/ a microfiber cloth? What are your camera settings? Did you try using the Night scene? I'll try to get the phone out tonight and take some shots to see if I have similar results, but so far none of my night shots are streaking that badly (I'm definitely getting the circular flares, but expect that).

I might suggest using the touchscreen to take photos instead of the hard button (if you're not already doing that) - the hard button is pretty tough to press and introduces vibration that's apparent in low light scenes. Helps w/ the blur quite a bit.

Last edited:

Leiska

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem in my Lumia 920. I took pictures also with another Lumia 920 which worked well in same conditions. I tried to clean the lens with microfiber clothe without successful. Now I have sent my Lumia to Nokia guarantee service.

Update..
Lumia 920 is back in business now. I was told the issue was fixed by a software update. Strange, because I already had all public updates in my phone.

Last edited:

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I did have this issue, any light source behind the subject at night would have flare, but I tested recently with the same conditions and the problem is gone completely. 2 things though, I did replace my phone at one point while I was in the 14 day period, and secondly I updated to Portico. It's possible that the Portico update addressed the glare but since I did replace the phone at one point, it's hard to say for sure.

My wife's phone still has the original firmware, I will try testing tonight using her phone, if the lens flare is there, then it looks like another fix addressed by Portico :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans