GPS location is off by 2/3 mi - anybody else have these issues?

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I tried to pin my location by GPS using Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive, I get it off by at least 2/3 mi NW direction.
Also Nokia Drive does not display the location on the map for the searched address, it's also off by 1/2 or 2/3 miles.

Additionally Location on/off has become very unresponsive after recent batch of updates.

Any ideas??? Fixes?

Thanks.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
mine has never been fine, always NE 2/3 mi off

on top, locations/gps is now almost hanging, takes about 5 sec to change between on/off

help! :shocked:

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Try this...

Install a compass app.
The 1st time you start the compass app, it may ask you to recalibrate by twisting the phone in a figure 8 movement.
Once done, start your Nokia Drive/Map, the GPS positioning maybe more precise now.
Its may not be Nokia apps problem, it could be the phone internal GPS that is out of sync sometimes.
I tested this method on my 900. Its quite effective for me.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a compass app. It didn't ask me for calibration as far as I remember.
Nokia city lens did ask for compass calibration which I did.

This issue is pretty annoying...

Try this...

Install a compass app.
The 1st time you start the compass app, it may ask you to recalibrate by twisting the phone in a figure 8 movement.
Once done, start your Nokia Drive/Map, the GPS positioning maybe more precise now.
Its may not be Nokia apps problem, it could be the phone internal GPS that is out of sync sometimes.
I tested this method on my 900. Its quite effective for me.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a compass app. It didn't ask me for calibration as far as I remember.
Nokia city lens did ask for compass calibration which I did.

This issue is pretty annoying...

Sorry to hear that.
I am at my wits end.
Hopefully, somebody may be able to help you.
Cheers :)

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have this happen often but it will usually correct itself after a few seconds. I think the issue is that the location service is using A-GPS (wifi or cell tower triangulation) until it initializes the GPS chip and finds a satellite-based location. This is just my personal observation, but I noticed location services will not initialize the GPS chip until a maps application like the default maps app or Nokia maps or Nokia drive is open and I think the camera app initializes it as well. This takes a little longer on the L920 than it did on my old Dell Venue Pro but when you open any maps app, tap "me" or "my location" and it will show you location based on A-GPS, then wait a few seconds (possibly 20-30) and tap "me" again and it will jump to your location using GPS. This is of, course, making sure you have direct access to the sky. If it doesn't update your location using the GPS chip, you probably have a faulty device.

Also, GPS tracking is a little annoying as well. it was much smoother on my old DVP, whereas, on the L920, it appears to be jumping down the street every 1-2 seconds. I'm assuming Nokia (or MS)increased the interval to save battery life which is ok but I'd like it if they could lower it to less than a second. You can even see the location icon blink at the top every 1-2 seconds when Maps is tracking you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos