Forgot Unlock PIN

glenada

Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I changed the screen lock code on my 920 and I can't remember it. How can I resolve this? Do I have to do a hard reset? Please help. Thanks in advance.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, if you can't remember it at all..you would have to do a hard reset. There is no other way around it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I changed the screen lock code on my 920 and I can't remember it. How can I resolve this? Do I have to do a hard reset? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Log into your windows live account at www.windowsphone.com and you can change your lock code there.

EDIT: I could not find this. :(
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Unfortunately, if you can't remember it at all..you would have to do a hard reset. There is no other way around it.

wait, so if somebody steals my phone, all they have to do is a hard reset and the phone will unlock and go back to factory settings?

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
The lock is to protect your data. If they do a hard reset, your data is gone.

true, hence it's better than nothing.
but wouldn't you agree that the purpose of locking your phone should be so that IF the 920 ever fell in to the wrong hands, it'll basically become a nice paperweight for them and nothing more?

BUT, it's better than nothing...

tampacoder

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
The lock is to protect your data. If they do a hard reset, your data is gone.

Who stores data on their phone anyways. All my contacts, pics and documents are in the cloud (Google, Skydrive). I could do a hard reset on my phone like everyday and it won't matter. The only pain would be my apps. They don't automatically re-install after reset (which I miss from android). Hummm....maybe I should write an app or find an app that saves this to the cloud as well.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Who stores data on their phone anyways. All my contacts, pics and documents are in the cloud (Google, Skydrive). I could do a hard reset on my phone like everyday and it won't matter. The only pain would be my apps. They don't automatically re-install after reset (which I miss from android). Hummm....maybe I should write an app or find an app that saves this to the cloud as well.

Even with data in the cloud, your phone has access to that data.

glenada

Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I called AT&T and they said I have to get a new SIM card. Really? What a pain in the butt. So there's nothing I can do besides what they recommended?

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
You might try creating a new Microsoft account on line, then link your old account to the new one, then do a hard reset and log in with your new account, this should bring in all your contacts, but not sure about text, apps ECT.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Or is at&t telling you a hard reset won't work either? I can see how that might be the case, you really can't remember the pin?

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I called AT&T and they said I have to get a new SIM card. Really? What a pain in the butt. So there's nothing I can do besides what they recommended?

I think they are confusing it with a sim lock. SIM lock and Phone lock are 2 different things. With phone lock, you basically reset. You don't need a new SIM after that. If we required a new sim every time we had to do a hard reset, there would be a very big line outside AT&T stores.

If however you locked your SIM, than yes.. you would require a new SIM unless PUK codes are still used.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a lock on my titan once my son typed the code in wrong and got the black screen try again in 1 min then it went flat and when i turned it back on it had changed the date and told me i then had to wait which i worked out in mins to be 21 years time lol

daknis

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
This is by far the biggest feature oversight I have ever seen. I changed my pin due to a policy requirement. After my phone locked, I typed in the new pin a few times and it wasn't working. Locked. Then it told me I had one more chance. What the...? I only tried it a few times. So then I was left wondering, was it 897645 or 896745, or did it not even change? I turned off OneDrive due to the major creep factor that it was automatically enabled on my phone. When I went to turn it back on, both it and my computer would crash trying to get the pictures off of it. Plugging it in did the same. Verizon suggested I download the OneDrive app to see if I can get it turned on... nope. Talk about the least featured app I've ever seen.

I just got engaged in Vegas in December and had countless, irreplaceable photos on my phone. I didn't just lose those pictures because I broke my phone, it fell in water, or some accident, I lost it do to Microsoft's impossibly insane horriblely designed feature that has taken away memories.

I will never be purchasing a Windows Phone again and severely regret getting a Microsoft Band 2. This is the worst user experience with technology I have ever had. Unbelievable.

GrayT72

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
"irreplaceable photos on my phone" Sorry dude, but that's your own friggin fault. What kind of id10t leaves "irreplaceable photos" in one location? You're just asking for trouble and blaming MS for it ain't gonna change anything. They give you the option to save those memories to the cloud, you chose not to... Then you should have found another place to put those favourite pics... No sympathy at all... I kinda like the idea of having the phone locked after several attempts. Who wants their data to be easily got hold of by some thief? If you had policy requirement then I guess your phone must have been accessed by your work forcing the pin policy, PIN lock is optional unless you have it synced using activesync! You should have contacted them and they could have changed the PIN for you straight away. Sounds like you're just looking for someone to blame...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre