So....why won't my 920 turn on?

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I come home from work, my 920 is on 6% battery life so I plug it in to charge.

I let it get a full charge, pull it off and send a few text messages.

A few rounds of Zombies later, I go to use my phone and the lock screen won't come on. I hold the power button down thinking I might have accidentally turned it off, and nothing. Rest it on my charging pad; the light on the pad comes on, but nothing happens on the phone. Still a black screen. I try plugging it back into the wired charger, still just a black screen with no response to the power button.

So....what now?

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Alright well Power + Volume Down worked.

Seems pretty common with the 920. Hoping for action from Nokia? The general public would know nothing of the manual command for a soft reset.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea...same thing actually happened to my sister...she sent her phone in for replacement because of it. Added / unneeded cost to Nokia and added/unneeded hassle for my sister.

Sucks...big time. Her's happened when she was getting a call.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, i'm curious what time of day was it when you noticed it went dark?

My keeps doing it about midnight ish. It won't do that though, if it's plugged in (luckily as i wake at 330am for work).

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright well Power + Volume Down worked.

Seems pretty common with the 920. Hoping for action from Nokia? The general public would know nothing of the manual command for a soft reset.

I'm keep sending Nokia feedback when gone lock up.
Sent from my Red Lumia 920 using Board Express

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is my app list:

• drudge reader
  • drive beta
  • weather.com
  • board express
  • ebay
  • att family map
  • 7pass
  • connectivity shortcuts
  • creative studio
  • panarama
  • photo lock
  • stop the music
  • youtube

What apps are you all running?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Here is my app list:

• drudge reader
  • drive beta
  • weather.com
  • board express
  • ebay
  • att family map
  • 7pass
  • connectivity shortcuts
  • creative studio
  • panarama
  • photo lock
  • stop the music
  • youtube

What apps are you all running?

the only mutual apps I have with you are
Drive beta
Board express and
Panorama

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It was around 2:30 or 3 in the morning. I also noticed that when I found the device not turning on, it was very very warm. I know that these phones get warm when used heavily but I literally hadn't touched it for hours.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just happened to me. Picked up my phone and the screen wouldn't turn on. Did a soft reset and things seem better now. Got this 920 on launch day and this is the first time it did it. Hopefully this will be the last but now I am worried.

Amj73

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. Weird! it also happens after midnight on a daily basis. It used to happen once in three days but now it is happening everyday. I sent it for service and they said it is just a software issue which they will install and solve the problem. I received my phone after reinstalling the software around 9:00 pm, went to sleep at 1:00 am, woke up at 6:00 am, SURPRISE THE PHONE IS DEAD. I really regret buying a Nokia phone again.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
It just happened to me for the first time today. I was using Xbox smartglass, the phone heated up and went black. This needs to be fixed soon.

Banned
May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, first thing make sure you uninstall that horrid Nokia Drive (beta). I uninstalled this and Skype and never had any issues after.

This is the exact reason why Microsoft locked down WP7.x with no native code access by third parties. As soon as they allow native code - bam, Android-style problems.

They need an auto-kill background agent that kills and then disables rogue apps. It's FAR better having complaints of "my nokia drive won't open, I had to use gmaps" than "this phone is a piece of sh!t, it's heating up for unknown reasons and the battery is only lasting a couple of hours etc". :eck:

Robert Todvine

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hold down the volume, lock and camera buttons all at THE SAME TIME until the phone vibrates. My company just gave me this phone, it's my first windows phone and it's ok. My personal phones will remain Android devices. 2 days old and it locked up, I can't even download the only app I really use because there isn't one for windows yet(IHeartRadio).

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hold down the volume, lock and camera buttons all at THE SAME TIME until the phone vibrates. My company just gave me this phone, it's my first windows phone and it's ok. My personal phones will remain Android devices. 2 days old and it locked up, I can't even download the only app I really use because there isn't one for windows yet(IHeartRadio).

You are suggesting a hard reset...do not do that unless necessary / an absolute last resort. For just a minor freeze, just hold Vol Down + Power (what you call 'lock'), no camera button.

Funny you say you want to use an Android because of 1 freezing issue :winktongue:

There is an iHEARTRadio app but it appears they updated it and broke it.

iHeartRadio | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Ashley Stineman

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
This really helped me. I had this phone for a day an no apps. I freaked out cause my husband is in the army and i really need to keep a phones reach. And when i read this it helped me n my phone came back on. Ill remember this forever.!

God bless you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes