Is the 920 supposed to feel solid?

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Some of the responses here mystify me.

My phone creaks/flexes along half the back right side of my 920. You can clearly hear it every time I pick up the phone or if I even move the phone in my hand and it gets worse each day. This is a build/quality issue. Yet many on here are basically saying quit whining, you are overreacting, nothing is perfect. And they are right, nothing is going to be 100% perfect.

However, I paid $450.00 USD off contract as I was not eligible for upgrade with AT&T. To me that is not a "little amount", although for some it may be. What about the people that are on contract? They are stuck with the phone for roughly 18 months. That "little amount" they pay over those 18 months is not so little when they have to use a possibly defective device for all those months. Yet some on here seem to think it's wrong that they expect to have a quality product. Why?? Why shouldn't we expect a quality product? Because quality control is so costly? Don't you think the lack of quality control and possible defective devices is worse for Nokia then replacing a number of handsets that aren't up to snuff? And just because your device might be "ok", doesn't mean the other guys or gals is.

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Some of the responses here mystify me.

My phone creaks/flexes along half the back right side of my 920. You can clearly hear it every time I pick up the phone or if I even move the phone in my hand and it gets worse each day. This is a build/quality issue. Yet many on here are basically saying quit whining, you are overreacting, nothing is perfect. And they are right, nothing is going to be 100% perfect.

However, I paid $450.00 USD off contract as I was not eligible for upgrade with AT&T. To me that is not a "little amount", although for some it may be. What about the people that are on contract? They are stuck with the phone for roughly 18 months. That "little amount" they pay over those 18 months is not so little when they have to use a possibly defective device for all those months. Yet some on here seem to think it's wrong that they expect to have a quality product. Why?? Why shouldn't we expect a quality product? Because quality control is so costly? Don't you think the lack of quality control and possible defective devices is worse for Nokia then replacing a number of handsets that aren't up to snuff? And just because your device might be "ok", doesn't mean the other guys or gals is.

yea some people can get rude for some reason, I don't get it. Maybe they have a broken (insert some other thing in their lives) and they feel they must take it out on someone else to feel better /shrug

Xiyue Liu

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand why some people here tell us to stand the quality problem because NOKIA lacks money?
If I choose to buy a phone right now, I can get a iPhone 5 or Lumia 920 for the same price, but iPhone 5 with solid quality, better hardware performance, much developed system, much much more software. Also with better service.(If any problem like the creak sound, I can get a replacement in apple store right away). And yes, apple still make TONS of money!
So the problem is NOKIA lacks money because replacements,repair cost or the poor quality of their product cause less customer?

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine creaks and pops along the whole left side of the phone when I put some pressure on it, it's really annoying. It didn't have that problem when I first got it. I've got a distinct gap between the display bezel and the polycarbonate case which I assume is the cause of the flex as when I pinch the gap closed the creaks all stop. I can fit my fingernails in this gap and pull apart the case from the screen. Surely this isn't normal? Every other side of the phone is glued to the case and there is no gap but I can swipe my whole fingernail through the left side of the phone. It's like the polcarb case isn't attached to the display strongly enough which is causing the flex and creaks. It was really solid without any creaks a week ago...And taking it back to the Telstra shop they say I have to send it back to Nokia even though I've had it less than 2 weeks.

IMG_20121214_174807.jpg

Can you guys do this on yours? Zoom in to get a good look.

Last edited:

Jeddan

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine creaks and pops along the whole left side of the phone when I put some pressure on it, it's really annoying. It didn't have that problem when I first got it. I've got a distinct gap between the display bezel and the polycarbonate case which I assume is the cause of the flex as when I pinch the gap closed the creaks all stop. I can fit my fingernails in this gap and pull apart the case from the screen. Surely this isn't normal? Every other side of the phone is glued to the case and there is no gap but I can swipe my whole fingernail through the left side of the phone. It's like the polcarb case isn't attached to the display strongly enough which is causing the flex and creaks. It was really solid without any creaks a week ago...And taking it back to the Telstra shop they say I have to send it back to Nokia even though I've had it less than 2 weeks.

View attachment 24842

Can you guys do this on yours? Zoom in to get a good look.

Yes, i can do that. What's interesting is that it seems to expand when it gets hot and really creaks, but when i have it out in the cold ~ -5C it's getting solid. However i contacted Nokia about the issue and they hadn't heard about it before. I am getting it exchanged.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My black one is doing this and I just sent an email to Nokia to address this. My wife's white one only has an issue at the SIM door. 3 new 920s arrived into my office this week and they all feel solid.

I have reason to believe this is a quality issue occurring during assembly.

peterg21

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It is problems like these that really question my decision to perhaps go with a 920. I am really, *really* bored with my iphone 4 but at least I know that if I get a iphone 5 I can walk some 10 minutes to the local iphone store and get the issue fixed or get a replacement (new or refurbished - and it will be cosmetically as a new phone)

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine creaks only around the sim.card slot. Aside from that nothing
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand people have issues with that the ones having it only around the SIM tray is just because of the void there but I can understand frustration with that.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I emailed Nokia about it and they say they want my phone for 'technical analysis' so hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement.

peterg21

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I emailed Nokia about it and they say they want my phone for 'technical analysis' so hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement.

This type of thing bothers me. Could they not do a swap-out, sending you a new phone and giving you a pre-addressed label to send the faulty one back (with say your credit card on file as security)?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This type of thing bothers me. Could they not do a swap-out, sending you a new phone and giving you a pre-addressed label to send the faulty one back (with say your credit card on file as security)?

Nokia has done 2 swaps with me, no cc info. They sent me new phone with prepaid label for my return.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, when they said they'll send a replacement I told them I don't want to go without a phone for an extended period of time so they're sending me a replacement and a prepaid package to send mine back. No cc details. Very happy with that, gives me a little more faith in Nokia. Mind you, I'm in Australia so I think that makes it even better considering how hard it is to find proper service here.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
nokiacareUSA just told me that and I quote "it's the design but you can inquire for a possible exchange at point of purchase."

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, when they said they'll send a replacement I told them I don't want to go without a phone for an extended period of time so they're sending me a replacement and a prepaid package to send mine back. No cc details. Very happy with that, gives me a little more faith in Nokia. Mind you, I'm in Australia so I think that makes it even better considering how hard it is to find proper service here.

Good to hear Nokia Australia is doing the right thing. I'm tempted to purchase my L920 and see how it goes, if mine develops any hardware faults I can always do the same. If you don't mind can you share the content of your email and nokia's reply? I may have to do the same in the future - fingers crossed I don't have to though! Do you know the batch number of your phone?

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually just contacted Stephen Elop who put me through to Peter Thomas, head of Nokia Care Australasia. In my email I just said I had concerns about the build quality of the phone and explained the gap between the case and the display, the creaking and flexing of the case and that it has been getting progressively worse in the week that I've owned it. I included that photo I posted above too. I just asked if that was normal and Peter Thomas basically replied saying it wasn't and that they want to send me a replacement. I never actually asked for a replacement, it was just an expression of concern about the build quality/quality control. Anyway, Peter was really good, he replied within 20 minutes of each of my emails. I didn't bother going through the Nokia Australia website.

I don't know the batch number, is it on the box?

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that is amazing customer service. I actually emailed Elop a week back with a number of questions on hardware defects including this one. All I got was a generic we take each issue seriously reply. Most likely because I don't actually own a phone yet! It's awesome to hear from Peter that this behaviour is not normal. I think I might just go and purchase one, I'll examine it before leaving the store and if this problem develops I'll do exactly what you did:grin:

The batch number should be on the box from other posts on wpcentral. It's usually on the sticker where the barcode is and its something along the lines of 46/2012, for made in week 46 2012.

Thanks for the info devize!!!! I can't wait to have a better camera on my phone!

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My email from Stephen said 'I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist' and I got Cc'd to nokia assist who got me through to Peter. I sent the email at 1am and woke up this morning to emails from Peter stating they want to send me a replacement. Not bad.

I'd get the phone, I still really like it and we get a 2 year warranty in Australia so you can't go wrong. Like I said, I wasn't exactly asking for a replacement but I'll take it if it means I don't have to take mine down to warranty further down the line with problems such as dust getting under the screen.

There doesn't seem to be a batch number on my box. Maybe it isn't on the Telstra boxes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss