Nokia Lumia 920 - My Story

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So,

first off i am an avid android user. Have been using it for the past 2-3 years. Have a SGSIII on T-Mobile USA, and have CM10 installed on it, and i couldn't be happier. But i am a technology buff and got really excited about the Nokia Lumia 920. WP8 looked like a nice change from android, and thought it would be a nice phone to try out.

So a few weeks ago i bought the AT&T 920 from a Microsoft Store, thinking i could just get it unlocked with an unlock code. If i had done any research, i would have known that it will be basically impossible for at least 6 months. I had played with the phone enough on WiFi to be satisfied with what it could do.

I then began a hunt to get an Unlocked 920. Unfortunately those can run up quite a bit, are on back-order, and wont run on tmobiles 3g frequency (unless in a refarmed area).

So my next target was the ROGERS 920. Would work on my 3G frequency, and looked like it could be unlocked with a lot less hassle than on AT&T.

So i tried calling from Rogers... and that was a No Go. Called a Microsoft Store in Canada, and that was also shut down. You cant buy the phone without having an account with Rogers. You also cant have an account with Rogers without being a Canadian Citizen and providing two forms of Canadian ID. So there went buying the phone outright. But in my travels, a Rogers agent told me to try Kijiji. Its basically a meet in person, local classifieds.

Alot of people were selling BNIB Lumias for decent prices. I had replied to many... and all conversations stopped when i asked to ship to the USA... seems there can be alot of issues with Customs... but no one would tell my why.

So i found someone who was selling it for 580 BNIB, and would unlock it for me through Rogers. We agreed on 600, but the deal was i had to drive up. I live in central jersey, and unfortuntey, when i want something, or am presented with a challenge i go all in.

I rented an economic car from Budget, and this past Wednesday i set off for the Toronto Area. I left there at 8am. Got to Canada, Border Patrol gave me some issues, but let me in. Met the person, checked out the phone, and bought it. Unfortunately we were unable to unlock it. Rogers didn't want to do it unless he paid off his contract. We tried several times. I paid 550 CAD, and left. Got to the USA and Canadian Border again... and they looked annoyed that i was in and out in a day. So they decided to check my car, and belongings for drugs, weapons, and who knows what else. After i was let go, and got home around 11:45PM.

The next morning i tried cellunlocker.net... and 5 hours later was told no unlock code in their database yet.

Last night i tried CANADAGSM and am awaiting their reply.

So that is my story in a nutshell. I hope to have this phone unlocked soon so i can really mess around with it as intended on my mobile network. Thanks for listening, and i will update this thread if i can actually get it unlocked.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As i said in the first message, the prices are expensive. the first one you posted was almost 900. i paid 550 for phone, and a lil over 150 for gas and the rental. thats 700 bucks. Not bad if you ask me, save my money, and got to go on a road trip.

the one from mobile city is preorder, and has no date... because unlock probably wont be available for 6 months. the 3rd link is 780 and does not have the 3g frequency of tmobile. the 4th link is 750 and again doesnt have the proper frequency.

So again, to get what i wanted at not to crazy a price, wasnt too bad.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
You could have gotten an unlocked 920 from an online source for less than the cost of a rental car + gas + CAD price + trip to Canada + hassle.

I go all out too, but I know the end game before I start.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
ok.

can you show me an UNLOCKED ROGERS Nokia Lumia 920 that are in stock for 700? NegriElectronics had it for 700, but they have yet to unlock it, plus they are backordered. Now it costs 720, and still backordered?

Im pretty sure i checked all avenues, but if you can find me EXACTLY what i stated above for less than 700, id love to see it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte