No Nokia Counters for WP8?

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Counters app for Lumia graduates to Marketplace | Nokia Beta Labs

Since Microsoft is being asholes and does not have datasense monitoring on all the phones, any alternatives?

There was Nokia Counters but looks like there is no WP8 version?

Counters1.png

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really understanding any of this and don't see any sense in this, probably there is a lawsuit for someone clever in here... Because all these data sense and blah blah was shown on stage, guys using it, showing how cool it is with WP8 etc. Now we get supplied phones that don't have most of it and what we have is half-ass effort. Imagine Apple talking about Siri and then you get iPhone shipped without Siri but when you try and find out all you hear is "It's coming soon" - WTF did I get this brand new phone for if all the features you were boasting about are not going to appear for another 2-3 months! /rantover

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking at it like this, At&t scooped the top Nokia phone, and Verizon scored data sense as a brief exclusive. I'd rather have the phone, and with the my att app I can monitor my usage anyway. Personally the most I've ever hit on WP for one month was 75% of my plan.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've asked Nokia about this and they said "no comment" the other day. I asked for a good data monitoring app in these forums a couple of weeks ago and never got an alternative so who knows maybe we'll be able to find a good alternative this time around. Here's hoping! :D

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
From what had been reported on this site, its supposed to be a short exclusive for Verizon, and coming to the rest of Nokia phones sometime in the near future.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How are these stuff that were shown as a part of WP8, not in WP8 right from day 1? Can someone throw at me an example of such stuff on any other platform?

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Examples would help, if your looking for specific cases. But the data sense thing was reported well before the phones were released in the US.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at it like this, At&t scooped the top Nokia phone, and Verizon scored data sense as a brief exclusive. I'd rather have the phone, and with the my att app I can monitor my usage anyway. Personally the most I've ever hit on WP for one month was 75% of my plan.

US carriers piss me off, especially since it's no longer the #1 market for WP, yet Microsoft still bends over and ignores all other countries like they don't even exist.

Examples would help, if your looking for specific cases. But the data sense thing was reported well before the phones were released in the US.

I get 8 hours of free calls, 2k free SMS and 1 GB of Internet for $9 / month, therefore, I need to keep an eye on my usage, my mom especially, since she goes overboard with the talk time.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't WP8 available for order in other countries first? I can understand the frustration completely, I'm not trying to excuse their behavior, just that we knew about this before the phones were released.

And I wish my bill was $9 a month. Try $150 including a discount thru my employer, 2 lines unlimited talk/text and 4 GB of data. And my mom is my second line as well.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So now it's "Microsoft" who decides if you get DataSense on your "Carrier Branded" phone. It's ok to be angry, but please direct the anger in the proper direction. DataSense requires some background updating and data collection on Carrier servers. If they are too lazy, or too busy selling iPhones, you will never see it. But as Microsoft stated on stage, it is available on every Windows 8 phone. Carriers just need to enable it.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
What if your carrier does not support Data Sense? I really liked the data counters app from Nokia, why cannot they release the same thing for WP8 and Data Sense can be optional?

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So now it's "Microsoft" who decides if you get DataSense on your "Carrier Branded" phone. It's ok to be angry, but please direct the anger in the proper direction. DataSense requires some background updating and data collection on Carrier servers. If they are too lazy, or too busy selling iPhones, you will never see it. But as Microsoft stated on stage, it is available on every Windows 8 phone. Carriers just need to enable it.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

What? Nokia Counters can achieve that and there are million Android apps / built in Android function that requires no carriers support, we are talking about data monitoring here (as that's what Nokia Counters does, NOT data compression).

And if you are talking about data compression it also does not require any carriers, seen Opera Mini and Opera Mobile? Works fine on every single carrier in the world, it does compress data. Seen Nokia x app for WP7 that compresses data / news, etc? Guess what, no carrier intervention either

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not know how Microsoft screw things up like this.

Microsoft didn't screw it up. This wasn't on any WP before Nokia. And its a Nokia exclusive, so at least point the finger in the right direction, Nokia and the carriers.

Which its pretty much a nonissue to me, as I know to watch my data, and use WiFi where I can. I never had a plan with unlimited data, so I've learned to do it from the start. And even WP background apps have always used less data than their Android counterparts for me. I used to hit my cap or come extremely close every month on Android, never hit it with WP.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Appears Microsoft has given even more cards to the carriers to hold. What if ATT gets this, will it be available for MVNOs? I doubt it, and Microsoft needs to be concentrating on more carrier independent features. Stop giving these shysters even MORE control!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb