I'm starting to regret my decision to buy a Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
It's not just the FB chat - it's all the WP8 issues combined that make it difficult to recommend WP8 to anybody right now. Myself, I have to agree with the notion that right now (emphasis on "right now") I would not recommend a WP8 phone to anybody. And mind you, I equiped my whole family with WP7 phones. Go figure...

They might not be perfect but they are all better than WP. The Facebook app on iOS for example is pretty much flawless.

Wrong and here is why... I need to know what a small group of people are posting on Facebook. I have a bunch of Facebook friend they post a bunch. On WP I can look at one live tile and see if someone from that group has posted without weeding through a bunch of other posts to get to the information I need. I don't have to open an app or notification center to get to the information either. In this way all other OS's are inferior to WP. I can post a picture to Facebook in seconds I can Facebook chat with my friends using my messaging app. In these two instances all others are inferior. Total integration with the OS is need these days and the big two aren't even trying.

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Wrong and here is why... I need to know what a small group of people are posting on Facebook. I have a bunch of Facebook friend they post a bunch. On WP I can look at one live tile and see if someone from that group has posted without weeding through a bunch of other posts to get to the information I need. I don't have to open an app or notification center to get to the information either. In this way all other OS's are inferior to WP. I can post a picture to Facebook in seconds I can Facebook chat with my friends using my messaging app. In these two instances all others are inferior. Total integration with the OS is need these days and the big two aren't even trying.

To add to that apps across the board are constantly being broken by API changes all over the place. =/

I agree with total integration, this is what makes a device or OS when we start talking across multiple platforms (phone, tablet, and computer) worth using. It may not be there 100% in WP yet, but it appears that MS is attempting to take further what Palm started with synergy on webOS then integrating it into the live tiles.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

You just described the Close Friends feature on Facebook. Set up a list of the people you are interested in, enable notifications for this list and you get exactly what you want.

You can post a picture to Facebook in seconds on both Android and iOS. And while they don't have the Facebook chat integrated, they have dedicated apps that actually work reliably as opposed to the WP implementation.

I am not saying that WP doesn't have it's pros, it has many - for example the core OS experience is miles ahead of both Android and iOS. But this novelty wears of quickly and in the end frustration over the little annoyances, bugs and missing features degrades the whole OS experience.

I think WP can work great for a group of people that expect certain things from it. For this group of people, WP is the best OS in the world. Unfortunately, in the big picture of things, this group of people that find everything they need in WP is a minor one and a majority of people will find too many things lacking in WP right now. And it will remain this way for as long it will Microsoft take to bring it up to par with the other platforms.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You just described the Close Friends feature on Facebook. Set up a list of the people you are interested in, enable notifications for this list and you get exactly what you want.

Wrong and here is why...Not displayed without launching an app.

You can post a picture to Facebook in seconds on both Android and iOS. And while they don't have the Facebook chat integrated, they have dedicated apps that actually work reliably as opposed to the WP implementation.

Sorry nothing beats the dedicated camera button... You should try using a Windows Phone I have zero issues with implementation...

I am not saying that WP doesn't have it's pros, it has many - for example the core OS experience is miles ahead of both Android and iOS. But this novelty wears of quickly and in the end frustration over the little annoyances, bugs and missing features degrades the whole OS experience.

I think WP can work great for a group of people that expect certain things from it. For this group of people, WP is the best OS in the world. Unfortunately, in the big picture of things, this group of people that find everything they need in WP is a minor one and a majority of people will find too many things lacking in WP right now. And it will remain this way for as long it will Microsoft take to bring it up to par with the other platforms.

Updates started today its fun watching Microsoft scratch off one by one all the excuses of the naysayers. In the end we will be left with nothing for some to complain about and we will still have a dedicated camera button, the best keyboard on any OS, Live Tiles, XBOX integration, real Office Hub, etc...etc...etc... the list goes on and on StevesBalls.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
That would have been all nice and dandy if live tiles were instantaneous. As of right now for the ME tile or group tile it gets updated once every 30 minutes or so and even later sometimes.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Wrong and here is why...Not displayed without launching an app.

Wrong and here is why... You get the notification on the app icon, without launching the app. And as ammarmalik2011 said, the updates you get on the WP group are not instant. Plus there are issues with the FB implementation, like missing support for secret groups. So for example, if somebody posts something in a group you have set up in Facebook, on WP you will never receive that notification.

Sorry nothing beats the dedicated camera button... You should try using a Windows Phone I have zero issues with implementation...

I have a Windows Phone.

Updates started today its fun watching Microsoft scratch off one by one all the excuses of the naysayers. In the end we will be left with nothing for some to complain about and we will still have a dedicated camera button, the best keyboard on any OS, Live Tiles, XBOX integration, real Office Hub, etc...etc...etc... the list goes on and on StevesBalls.

Oh yes, we now get the option to turn off Wi-Fi sleep! How long have we been waiting for that? Only two years? At this pace, it should only take a couple of more years and we should have all that is missing. Give me a break...

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am kind of getting agree with the OP. And it's not even applications. It's the very basic functionality or lack of it that is scaring me. I am sure it will eventually work. As someone has put it here: Early adapters. Did not realize I was going to be one.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, we now get the option to turn off Wi-Fi sleep! How long have we been waiting for that? Only two years? At this pace, it should only take a couple of more years and we should have all that is missing. Give me a break...

Well, theres a difference between WP7.5 launch and now, compared to now and two years from now. Notably the fact that the new kernel should make for support far longer ahead than WP7.5 did, of course this isnt a guarantee but a good bet.

I think you are quite negative in your perception of this. While yes obviously some of us are far too positive and not realistic, I feel that it certainly is realistic to assume that the WP7.5 experience with regards to updates, changes, fixes, etc. isnt compareable to what will be happening forward with WP8.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
WP8 does have Whatsapp. I use it all the time from day 1. FB chat - I have no issues, in fact there are more than one app available in the store. Skype - I don't have a major issue that as well, however, I didn't check in depth for skype. Others I disagree with you. In addition, if you send a feedback to Nokia and microsoft using your phone (its available in the settings), they are really respecting and working on that. I did send them few feedback and those issues are almost fixed. They working on some of the issues like Chase bank app - first week when u try to deposit a check it throws an error server no available. I sent the feedback to Nokia and in a day there was an update for the app. Now when I try to deposit, it says "we are working to integrate this feature with WP and will be available beginning of January 2013. Please apologize for the inconvenience" . So you are powerful as a Customer. :) Also, there are more apps now than we had in the first week, infact 1000's more.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I think you are quite negative in your perception of this. While yes obviously some of us are far too positive and not realistic, I feel that it certainly is realistic to assume that the WP7.5 experience with regards to updates, changes, fixes, etc. isnt compareable to what will be happening forward with WP8.

That's pretty much what is going on here. Some are extreme with the gloom and doom and others are completely blinded by their fanboyism in completely disregarding others valid gripes.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, theres a difference between WP7.5 launch and now, compared to now and two years from now. Notably the fact that the new kernel should make for support far longer ahead than WP7.5 did, of course this isnt a guarantee but a good bet.

I honestly don't care about the kernel change. I understand that they had to do it and it's great that we have now a common kernel but as an end user that has been living on promises and promises for the last two years I no longer care. Microsoft is dropping the ball with WP and they need to do better, much better. The only reason why I still have a Windows Phone is because the 4 inch screen of the iPhone 5 is too small for me and the Nexus 4 is sold out everywhere. I have lost the patience now to wait for WP to mature, there is only so much I can endure. I gave Microsoft the benefit of doubt, but two years were enough.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still love WP. I think it's perfect for people that are moving up from feature phones and people that don't expect anything advanced from their smartphone. I just think it's not moving where it should be fast enough and I'm tired of being on the short end of the stick.

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My regret isn't with the device or operating system but AT&T is just screwing me sideways. They've made me really regret buying this device, because I've bought it at full retail and have had some issues with my Matte Cyan version. I'm trying to get a warranty replacement and they keep giving me the run around it's been two weeks. Of course when I brought the phone in while it was still in it's 14 day period all they did was a master reset but my phone still has all the same issues. Now I'm past my 14 days and they won't even send me a damn device. They keep trying to offer me a Matte Black version, am I being too demanding in asking for the color I paid full retail for?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
They keep trying to offer me a Matte Black version, am I being too demanding in asking for the color I paid full retail for?

No, the people over at AT&T you have been working with are just too damn stupid. You really need to become the squeaky wheel and escalate the issue. The cyan models are probably on back-order. Instead of getting a reasonable response from a representative you've been given the run around. Sucks, it happens, but there isn't a ton a forum can do for you other than encourage you not to give up and reassure you that it's fair to ask for the same color replacement.

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
No, the people over at AT&T you have been working with are just too damn stupid. You really need to become the squeaky wheel and escalate the issue. The cyan models are probably on back-order. Instead of getting a reasonable response from a representative you've been given the run around. Sucks, it happens, but there isn't a ton a forum can do for you other than encourage you not to give up and reassure you that it's fair to ask for the same color replacement.

I will keep trying! I really don't want to quit but it's just getting tiring. It's been two weeks and I'm really looking for a place to vent because as curteous I am being with these representatives it's starting to really piss me off. Thanks for the support.

Seismo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
?
The dedicated camera button on WP8 is a novelty, nothing more.
On an iPhone, a camera icon is present on the lock screen. You slide it up (instead of sliding across to unlock the screen), and boom, you're in camera mode.

There may be things you can give WP8 credit for doing better than iOS but access to the camera ain't one of them.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't care about the kernel change. I understand that they had to do it and it's great that we have now a common kernel but as an end user that has been living on promises and promises for the last two years I no longer care.

Im sure you dont, but thats not what I was saying. What I was saying is that comparing WP7.5s two years to WP8s two years to come isnt a good comparison, because of the kernel change. That is the variable that makes it different.

Microsoft is dropping the ball with WP and they need to do better, much better. The only reason why I still have a Windows Phone is because the 4 inch screen of the iPhone 5 is too small for me and the Nexus 4 is sold out everywhere. I have lost the patience now to wait for WP to mature, there is only so much I can endure. I gave Microsoft the benefit of doubt, but two years were enough.

Okay? Still not what I was talking about. I get that youre upset, we all know this by now.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still love WP. I think it's perfect for people that are moving up from feature phones and people that don't expect anything advanced from their smartphone. I just think it's not moving where it should be fast enough and I'm tired of being on the short end of the stick.

Aye, I understand that :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb