I'm starting to regret my decision to buy a Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I disagree I use Facebook chat on my device to talk with my wife during the day. It is instant if you are not seeing the same thing you should check your connection maybe your CB signal is faulty... :excited:
That's exactly what I was talking about. Facebook chat, which is an IM service, is instant. Unlike SMS.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
stop confusing real-time instant messaging with SMS messages. They are not the same thing. Ever chatted with someone for an hour on google talk/msn messenger or facebook? Ever chatted for an hour over SMS? NOT the same thing.

Functionally there is no difference as far as my needs are concerned. I don't have any need or desire to sit there IM'ing someone for an hour on my phone. I'm not a 16 yr old girl. If this is important to people, than so be it. I'll never understand why but I don't need to. It's simply something I couldn't give less of a **** about. I have better things to do with my time.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Regardless, as mentioned before, Ive had no troubles with FB chat at all on my 920. As a matter of fact, its been quite the nice experience compared to other handsets.
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear the FB chat problem is fixed. But you mention the Windows 8 Skype release needs fixing too. What sort of issues are you referring to about it that require it being pulled from the store until its fixed? I've got some issues myself but I want to hear what issues you're referring to before I list mine.

duz

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
SMS use the carriers service to deliver messages between phones, if the carriers are congested or having issues then they can take a pretty lengthy time to deliver. Its not as bad as it used to be, as infrastructure has been updated, but in some areas its not uncommon for SMS messages to take a few hours to deliver, especially cross carrier messages.

IM is only reliant on a data connection, and even Facebook chat has a better uptime than 99% of carriers. IM wins over SMS hands down in most cases. If you still use SMS primarily, you are almost certainly in the minority....

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
duz: that might be true in some countries, most likely the US Id imagine, but in Norway for instance its nowhere NEAR hours of delay, it used to be like that 6-10 years ago or so, but having more than 10 minutes delay on an SMS is outrageous nowadays.

It basically behaves much like Facebookchatting on my WP8 in terms of replyspeeds.

duz

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Its probably quite similar in most countries nowadays, but my point was more that the majority of people probably use IMs over SMSs, and for good reason.

I'm actually a little disappointed there isn't better support for IRC applications, not being able to idle on my phone makes me feel cut off from the geek world :(

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, very few use IMs over SMSes at least over here in Norway. Techguys that visit cellphone boards probably do, but people like my colleagues, family, etcetera, dont. They IM when on Facebook, but on the phone its purely SMS. And why wouldnt they? SMSes generally are included by the truckload in your subscriptions (I have like 3000 smses each month i think), theyre comparative in speed with IMs and theyre 100% reliable.

No idea what patterns the rest of the world operates with, but thats my impression of the use in Norway at least.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
SMS takes around 5 seconds to deliver. IM takes less than a second. Go figure. It sounds like a paltry 4 second difference but when chatting it's impossible if its a 5 second delay.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Worldwide, and in the US as well, mobile IM makes up less than 10% of mobile messaging. The other 90% is SMS. The biggest increase in mobile IM use right now is iMessage since so many people have iPhones and IM/SMS is seamless using it. Mobile IM doesn't work very well because there are so many different protocols and popular ones like iMessage are proprietary.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Functionally there is no difference as far as my needs are concerned. I don't have any need or desire to sit there IM'ing someone for an hour on my phone. I'm not a 16 yr old girl. If this is important to people, than so be it. I'll never understand why but I don't need to. It's simply something I couldn't give less of a **** about. I have better things to do with my time.
Calm down 'Mr. I'm too busy'. I have relatives living abroad I chat with them a lot. I don't want a video conversation over Skype all the time. So IM is extremely useful beyond the needs of a 16yr old girl. And almost everyone I know uses it too. There's a whole world outside the one you live in.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
SMS takes around 5 seconds to deliver. IM takes less than a second. Go figure. It sounds like a paltry 4 second difference but when chatting it's impossible if its a 5 second delay.

Im not saying its a good idea, Im saying the norm is SMS atm, and its comparative in speed. Its not like SMS is about the same as letter via pigeon, theyre for most peoples needs fairly identical, which is why people generally choose to use SMS; less hassle, 100% reliable, everyone is reachable.

And yeah, when chatting I use IM too, if I can. And for that, FB chat works great for me on the 920 :s . So both are covered. For me.

duz

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Worldwide, and in the US as well, mobile IM makes up less than 10% of mobile messaging. The other 90% is SMS. The biggest increase in mobile IM use right now is iMessage since so many people have iPhones and IM/SMS is seamless using it. Mobile IM doesn't work very well because there are so many different protocols and popular ones like iMessage are proprietary.
hmm I'm interested now, do you have the source of those stats? In my experience the most used SMS is to tell someone to check their Facebook messages :p
Anyway, the point is that IMs are becoming a BIG part of mobile usage, and WP8 as an OS actually does it very well. Considering that the OS hasn't really been out for very long, and no major updates or bug fixes have been released, I'm actually very impressed. Once all the kinks have been ironed out, it will be a "your phone doesn't do messages as well as windows phone"

Once all the kinks have been ironed out.....hoping they do get ironed out....

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
In windows phone world, if you have:

IM problem: who use IM? SMS is the way to go
WiFi Issues: why don't you have unlimited data?
No Instagram: who uses Instagram?
Lack of Apps: quality apps, no fake, no justin beeber apps in WP
And so on and so forth...

Come on guys! Seriously? WP ecosystem do have problems; if you are honest there is no denying it. Rather than being an*l about it, let us help new users who are transitioning; be cooperative and voice our demands over here

https://twitter.com/WinPhoneSupport

The attitude that you guys have right now, is the mail reason why early adopters are left behind and Skype app is still terrible after all this time.

Now, I have problem with Facebook chat integration; I receive IM just fine, but if I happen to have conversation outside windows phone, my messages are not pulled in phone when I switch back later. All I can see is flood of messages from the other side, not mine. Also, it would be extremely nice to have the ability to view Facebook attachments in the messaging app .

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear the FB chat problem is fixed. But you mention the Windows 8 Skype release needs fixing too. What sort of issues are you referring to about it that require it being pulled from the store until its fixed? I've got some issues myself but I want to hear what issues you're referring to before I list mine.

It is general stuff, not all bugs. But here goes my list of Skype issues / lacking functionality

Skype on Windows Phone:
  • it can cause Bugs like blocking E-Mails or Texts from recieving/sending.
    See this post for more details on this:
    Text Message "Can't Send" in WP8 - Microsoft Community
  • no file transfer
  • when i get called in skype and i answer on my PC, my phone keeps ringing until i reject the call
  • no location send

Skype on Windows 8 (App)
  • Conversation list is too unorganized
  • Message Syncing is terrible. Lets say i have a conversation on my work laptop. Then i come home and get like 200 new messages on my home desktop PC. Not to mention the phone keeps ringing while i have the conversation. They need to determine on which device you're currently active and which messages you read allready. Really annoying!
  • sidebar-mode is useless! I'm not even able to switch between conversations in sidebar mode
  • It takes 4 clicks to open a chat window from an online contact. Online contacts should be pinned to the Skype-Start (or at least give us an option for it)
  • no file transfer

In general these are not bugs, but just bad bad apps on both devices. From an UI standpoint - even i could do that better. No idea whats going on under the hood though.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
In windows phone world, if you have:

IM problem: who use IM? SMS is the way to go
WiFi Issues: why don't you have unlimited data?
No Instagram: who uses Instagram?
Lack of Apps: quality apps, no fake, no justin beeber apps in WP
And so on and so forth...

And in iPhone world if you have a bigger than 3.5" screen you cant use it with one hand, unless its an iphone5, then its okay, and perhaps if apple releases an iphone with a bigger screen, but lets cross that bridge when we get there, until then NONE beyoned 3.5" (4" if iphone5) are useable.

Also in Android world, if you cant dualboot two custom ROMs as well as track and kill Osama as well as navigate a robot through an obstacle course using X-term its not a real phone and is merely a poser.

Thats just how things are. People defend their choices to insanity and beyond sometimes.

As for your little list, my personal responses are simple.

IM Problem: I dont have one, and it sucks that you do. Either find a workaround until its resolved or change phone.
WiFi issues: get a replacement handset, yours is faulty. Mine does not have issues, nor do most.
Instagram: Dont use it myself as I have no idea what the appeal of it is, but I would love it if it came to WP since instagram-users would be more likely to try WP8.
Lack of Apps: Personally Im not appdependant at all, and WP8 does what I want it to do allready. If you lack apps, write to the developers or seek an alternate solution, alternatively change your phone to a different OS if the benefits of said app outweigh the benefits of the OS contra the OS that has the app.

Fairly simple logical stuff Id say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss