Status
Not open for further replies.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
In windows phone world, if you have:

IM problem: who use IM? SMS is the way to go
WiFi Issues: why don't you have unlimited data?
No Instagram: who uses Instagram?
Lack of Apps: quality apps, no fake, no justin beeber apps in WP
And so on and so forth...

Come on guys! Seriously? WP ecosystem do have problems; if you are honest there is no denying it. Rather than being an*l about it, let us help new users who are transitioning; be cooperative and voice our demands over here

https://twitter.com/WinPhoneSupport

The attitude that you guys have right now, is the mail reason why early adopters are left behind and Skype app is still terrible after all this time.

Now, I have problem with Facebook chat integration; I receive IM just fine, but if I happen to have conversation outside windows phone, my messages are not pulled in phone when I switch back later. All I can see is flood of messages from the other side, not mine. Also, it would be extremely nice to have the ability to view Facebook attachments in the messaging app .

LOL it's true, I have to admit it.

Then again, I don't care. Windows Phone is perfect for me because I'm not a chatty super-social teenager who needs to post hip pictures of ashtrays and dogs sitting next to guitars and IM people constantly.

I don't do any of that so most of the missing apps and features on Windows Phone have no effect on me whatsoever. The only thing I don't have yet that I really want is Citrix Receiver and I know that will be along soon.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
It's nice to have Like and Thanks as ways of expressing viewers opinions of post but I think one more expression should be available. That should be "C'mon Man!". How arrogant to think that everyone won't like WP8 because of a few missing apps on a brand new OS. Especially, since many here have proven you wrong in certain areas and many sources say that the other apps you mentioned will be available soon.

C'mon Man.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
IM Problem: I dont have one, and it sucks that you do. Either find a workaround until its resolved or change phone.
WiFi issues: get a replacement handset, yours is faulty. Mine does not have issues, nor do most.
Instagram: Dont use it myself as I have no idea what the appeal of it is, but I would love it if it came to WP since instagram-users would be more likely to try WP8.
Lack of Apps: Personally Im not appdependant at all, and WP8 does what I want it to do allready. If you lack apps, write to the developers or seek an alternate solution, alternatively change your phone to a different OS if the benefits of said app outweigh the benefits of the OS contra the OS that has the app.

Fairly simple logical stuff Id say.

Well, IM like whatsApp really needs an update, and I believe there is a sizeable amount of customers that depend on IM.

Wifi Issues: Maybe you dont have an issue, but I am tired of the device reconnecting to wifi everytime I wake it up. Lets say, there are a few customers that only have 200 mb data, and really depend on wifi at office and their house, isnt it fustrating to wait for the device to reconnect to wifi. I say, give the control to the user. Let the user decide!!

Regarding the lack of apps, yes I agree, and I am ready to wait.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Gomzy: That wifi thing I wasnt thinking about, I never saw that as an issue, more a plain design-flaw. Of course you are right, that is just horrible and needs a change.

IMs like whatsapp and iirc skype plus surely others need changes badly, but IM like Facebook worked wonderfully for me, as has Viber, though I havent used that an awful lot.

So yeah, totally agree.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this phone lacks too much feature/function/apps that even my old BlackBerry had. It's so sad. Lets hope the OS update bring many changes. If my Torch 9800's screen didn't crack I wouldn't be using this phone anymore.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
All phones lack features and functions and apps that my N900 had that were spectacular yet Ive NEVER seen again in smartphones.

But Id still use the 920 if given a choice. Which I do have. And have made. In favour of the 920. :p

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The 920 is a beautiful device but apparently Microsoft does not want me to communicate with it...

1. No WhatsApp
2. No Facebook-Chat integration
3. Skype has serious Bugs and caused Texts and E-Mails not to work anymore
4. No Skype (because of #3)

As much as i love WP and Nokia, i can't recommend the phone to anyone right now and i can't even use it on a daily basis. It is like i'm cut off from friends and family. At least from their main communication channels.
Totally frustrating.

Whatsapp will be out in no time, since they have it on WP7 it shouldn't be that hard to make a WP8 version.
Facebook chat is the EASIEST with WP8, trust me, I've used iOS and Android and WP is the easiest to chat with facebook, MSN, and everything else. I'm not sure about the Skype issue

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had issues with Facebook chat, it works fine for me.

WhatsApp, it's a bit difficult to blame Microsoft and Nokia for the problem when it's a developer who decided to pull the app from the market and give it relatively low priority for updating. The same thing could happen for any other mobile OS.

For the Skype stuff, Microsoft clearly hasn't delivered on its promises there. It seems as though Microsoft's latest acquisition is focusing all of its effort on desktop PCs, iOS and Android, while Windows Phone is a barely-functioning afterthought. Given the original promises of "deep Skype integration," the current unacceptably-buggy beta app is clearly a missed delivery. Microsoft should be instructing the Skype team to focus all of its energy on a compelling WP experience, to bring the "home team OS" up to par, but that's not happening. Blame Microsoft's numerous silos who all compete against each other, I guess. Sighhhhhh

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Facebook chat works flawlessly on my wp 8 Phone. Whatsapp works just ok. It will be pushed to the store again soon.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I love my Lumia 920. None of your issues apply to me. Maybe I'm just not with the times, but I don't use Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp, etc. People who want to talk to me can call or text, darn it

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have three requests for OP and those like him:

1) Please consider putting your device-specific complaints in the device-specific forums.

2) Please try and stick to one "I don't like my device thread" rather than creating a new one every time something happens that you don't like.

3) Please do a quick search of the forum for a solution to your problem (which has probably been fixed five times over here) before posting a thread saying "My Lumia 8X by Samsung is CRAP because I cannot send texts over WiFi!"

You'll get an answer faster, and you'll aggravate people far less often.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
1. WhatsApp is being optimized for WP8 and will be back soonish.
2. Facebook chat integration works on WP8 better than any other OS.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ammamalik: Except for the fact that launching an app contra NOT launching an app should put WP above ios and android as well as integrating it with your SMS/IM thread, meaning it does work better than any other [phone] OS?

For me, the fact that it integrates with my SMSes and doesnt require anything like downloading an app, makes it a better experience on my 920 than my SGS3, for instance.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Ammamalik: Except for the fact that launching an app contra NOT launching an app should put WP above ios and android as well as integrating it with your SMS/IM thread, meaning it does work better than any other [phone] OS?

For me, the fact that it integrates with my SMSes and doesnt require anything like downloading an app, makes it a better experience on my 920 than my SGS3, for instance.
It would have been in Windows Phone's favor had the integration actually worked like it's suppose to. In its current form it's a hit and miss (problems with offline messaging, group messaging, syncing FB messages, messages history etc etc). The dedicated app is just a heck of a lot better. The WP integration is a stop-gap arrangement.

And in both cases you're launching an app. In Windows Phone it's the messaging app and in Android/iOS it's the messenger (again, much more reliable).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No it's not the same thing. Have you never used an IM service before? As the name suggests, instant messaging is INSTANT which is why it's used for 'chatting'. SMS is not instant. It's the difference between talking on a landline and a CB Radio.

Coming to the party a bit late, but yeah, for all intents and purposes it is the same thing. My GF and I used to chat on Yahoo Messenger all the time, once we got unlimited texts we switched over to texting. The only difference is we can text anywhere, as opposed to just on the desktop.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Coming to the party a bit late, but yeah, for all intents and purposes it is the same thing. My GF and I used to chat on Yahoo Messenger all the time, once we got unlimited texts we switched over to texting. The only difference is we can text anywhere, as opposed to just on the desktop.

Ignore him. He is trolling. SMS is just another form of IM -- it uses data packets in between voice packets to send short messages via the mobile network (typically IP-switched), just like IM on the desktop.

The reason it's called "instant messaging" is because it evolved on the PC in the mid 1990s after people complained of the latency around e-mail. The first IM protocols, AIM and Lotus SameTime, were developed to make messaging "instant" and not "delayed" by e-mail servers. SMS is a form of IM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa