FD LTE Lumia 920 in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimishprasad

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Considering that the Lumia 920 hasn't been released in India yet, I wanted to buy a factory unlocked version online. While doing some research, I came to understand that the 920 comes in 2 variants - FD LTE version like in US, Canada etc and the TD LTE version like in China (920T). India doesn't have LTE yet for mobile but when it does come, would a FD LTE phone work with TD LTE network?

Thanks

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Considering that the Lumia 920 hasn't been released in India yet, I wanted to buy a factory unlocked version online. While doing some research, I came to understand that the 920 comes in 2 variants - FD LTE version like in US, Canada etc and the TD LTE version like in China (920T). India doesn't have LTE yet for mobile but when it does come, would a FD LTE phone work with TD LTE network?

Thanks
currently no. And Japan and sprint use td lte too

spiderbatman

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Also if you are still planning to get it from US or any place else, beware, the warranty won't hold in our country or for that matter in any other country. I contacted Nokia customer care and they said that Nokia doesn't provide worldwide warranty and is limited to the country of purchase only.

Moreover, Nokia says that they are testing it with Indian service provider to see if its working fine or do they have to get a patch installed to make it work better, getting it from outside India will defeat the purpose.

But, anyhow its a shame that India doesn't even have a launch date while this handset is getting sold out in all other countries its launched even after re-shipments. Its launched in China, HongKong, Malaysia, Singapore etc. but still no sign in India.... sigh!!

danish319

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I guess the info provided by the site is false. I have contacted a couple of NPD in my area they are all taking pre orders n expecting it to arrive by d 23rd...I hope it comes this year!

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
you guys have got to be kidding me, I have inside contacts in Nokia & I have had this rumors about the release on 23rd December since November 10. They were expecting this, but now its not that case, I CAN CONFIRM YOU THAT L920 & L820 are not coming to India this year. They are going to release 3 Windows Phone 8 together, next year probably by February. There is NO HOPE FOR THIS YEAR. Better buy HTX WinPh 8X if you can't wait.

spiderbatman

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
one of my friends work in Microsoft, India and as you all must be knowing that Microsoft is giving away all its employees a windows phone 8 phone, windows 8 tablet and windows 8 laptop. Recently they got an option to choose between 8X or Lumia 820 (yes, no 920 freebies for them). According to my friend, they are expecting to get the phone in the first week of Jan.

I think we can safely assume that they won't be getting windows phone before (not atleast) 1-2 months before India launch.

anujtwp

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

das troll

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been following Nokia Lumia 920 release date in India for quite some time on local sites, tech.in, bgr-something, IBN7, NDTV yadda yadda - not through delaers or Nokia care or inside contacts, and I must confess, the trip has been rather disappointing, with the dates slipping from November, through December to January now and some even predicting February. Add to that, the sky rocketing price going through the roof. I mean I cannot afford the sky.

On a similar note to the gentleman from Udaipur above, I actually do have contacts inside of Nokia, and while I'm at it, tons of them. Nokia hires from my college, and a lot of seniors work there, and trust me, their guess is as good as the next persons. Because one, they work for Nokia enterprise solutions, the peeps who make the network radio equipment, the stuff that goes on the towers and their stations you know.

(everything that follows is solely my opinion/view/analytic and is in no way endorsed by Nokia and/or any of its employees)

And two, because the nature and scope of the Lumia 920 is such that it's almost completely developed and being controlled from offices off shores. The marketing too is a centralized affair, and not worldwide coordinated affair. Which basically means that it was not developed in India, and even the marketing/sales team in India will be handed over the product only after the global marketing team has a taken the decision of launching it here - and that too only for local baantna. And part of the reason for the step-motherly treatment India is getting is because India never was the intended market for the Lumia.

True that India has long been the major market for Nokia products, but that was only because Nokia was cheap and reliable. It's highest end products were meted out with only modest response. The moment Nokia products ventured into segments populated by other, more revered and exclusive brands such as Blackberry (I'm talking about a decade ago, when BB was da baamb), HP iPaq, Palm, O2, HTC etc. Nobody gave a **** about Nokia if they could afford these business class smartphones when these were novelty. In an analogy in today's time and day, not to mention the HTCs you can get a third generation iPad with cellular for 45K. With Retina display and what not. Add to that the class they'd be elevated to (sarcasm intended) by owning an Apple product which is a time tested product, who'd go for a Nokia? These are anyway better suited for data needs, couple them with a basic phone (maybe even a Nokia 1100) and you're good to go. It'll cost 5-6K more, but you're better off. You have very few people who're actually Nokia loyalists, and would buy a Nokia and only a Nokia, and they're so few you can count them. Just do a Google search for Nokia Lumia 920, and count the people commenting. They're those peeps (me being one of them). Anyway, so much for this rant.
This btw, also means that if Nokia released an Asha, say Asha X, for 5K the same time as the 920, in a about a months time, the Asha will garner Nokia more profits, since the Asha X is likely to be sold ten times as the the 920; that's 50K in Asha X's compared to the Lumia 920's 40K. That's the difference in profit margin they'll get. That's the the Indian economy works; we;re still a developing economy with the middle class forming the majority stratum of the society. According to my personal estimates anyway.

Anyway, my rant aside, I came online to check the current status. And I found the glorious conversation above. Told me nothing new, the first week of January news hit me last night, but the exchange with the Nokia insider contact and some of the rest of the forum members made my day!

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Warning: Conjecture ahead .....

I think your point is very valid in that the majority of people in India don't want to drop 45k on a smartphone, they want to pay less than 10k. I don't blame Nokia for the delay, it will surely be met with comments about how <insert price here> is way too much and you can get a <insert competitor here> for only 5k more; along with a pledge to wait until the price drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss