My list of Lumia 920 shortcomings

Stefanix

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have my 920 for 3 days now, my previous phone was a Nokia N9. The N9 was near perfect, but is a dead end and apps are missing.
Still betting on Jolla, but I could not resist to buy the beautiful 920 with its good display and low light camera. I like the live tile concept, but found many shortcomings that gives me the impression that WP8 is still in its infancy.
Here is a list of what I found. Maybe I am just too stupid to do it right, or there are workarounds or apps to mitigate those things. Therefore I welcome all comments! Thanks!

- Turning down or even muting the music player, mutes the ringer volume as well! Danger of missing calls!
- Limited email settings: port, authentication method etc.
- No SIP client (even the Asha 311 has one build-in)
- No charging indicator (N9 has a notification LED), need to unlock to check for progress or if the plugs are connected
- Facebook integration: Not possible to share shotos directly from the camera roll
- "Update available, waiting for WiFi": It does not say which update, also the phone WAS connected to WiFi! Totally confusing and unclear message!
- Too often restart necessary: Installing an additional keyboard needs a restart plus "data migration". There were two other restarts during my initial setup.
- Power consumption: Not very energy efficient! Even with simple web browsing, the phone gets slightly warm, which wasn't the case on my N9.
- Power consumption: It would be good to identify the energy hogs. There was a N9 app that showed the percentage of energy consumption per app. is there anythking like this for WP? I assume there is no open API.
- Status bar at the top: why does it disappear? Is it possible to lock it there? Because the clock is there anyway, this space is not fully usable. I like to see which my current connection is and my battery status. Its even not avaliable at all if IE is running.
- If there is not internet connection at all (cellular disabled and no WiFi) IE give a strange error message like "the website has problems". WP should identify this problem and give an appropriate error message. Obviously IE is not much integrated into WP.
- It takes long before the phone detects my home WLAN when returning into the coverage area (need to measure this, just impression, N9 seems to be faster)
- Difficult to see (see above) and switch internet connectivity (select between WLANs or chose 3G). N9 needs only a tap on the status bar.
- No haptic feedback for the keyboard
- "send" button to close to "thumb move area", resulting in accidental sending of unfinished text. should be above keyboard (N9)
- Bluetooth name and visibility: Have not found any settings for this, just on and off.
- Data privacy: quite many apps require the permission to send location data, although the service would not require this. If not agreed, apps can not be installed!
- Nokia Music: Offline mixes should be available offline. I found that the mix does not play, if no internet connection. Probably it needs to report usage, location and I don't know what. But it appears to be not fully "offline" availabe. Any other experience?
- The back button seems not so logical to me. Sometimes it's a back in the app menu structure, sometimes it exits the app to go back on OS level.
- Lame "Multitasking". E.g. map installation does not happen in the background, have to watch and wait, can not do anything else
- Difficult to close running (or suspended) apps. A lot of juggling with the back key to close all unwanted apps. Not sure if this is necessary at all, but I want to keep the list small because I suspect some apps to consume too much power.
- Not possible to group the less frequently used apps (kind of folders)
- USB should appear as normal thumb drive. I have problems to use the 920 with Linux as Microsoft's MTP protocol is used. Not sure what's the benefit of MTP. N9 appears as normal thumb drive and any OS can be used to drag and drop any media files.

This is a long list. I hope there will be improvements coming with Apollo+/Portico. Many things seem to be trivial and it's a shame that MS did not get this right.
I hope that new WP users, attracted by the Lumia HW, don't get disappointed too quickly and turn their backs to WP too fast. Nokia had practically all the above issues solved on Meego/Harmattan (e.g. N9). It's a pity that so many shortcomings are now imposed on the Lumias by the MS OS.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You can share FB photos directly from the camera roll. Aside from that, you're at a loss because you're wanting WP8 to be meego and it's not. I loved my n9 but in comparison it was a choppy, buggy, faulty experience. WP8 is built around simplicity, even suggestions you said as minor as putting the send button above the keyboard would drive me a bit mad. Sure, each OS has it's flaws for one person or another but that's why we have options.

Bspain

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you should read a manual or do some searching because some of your problems are just you not knowing how to do it

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
- Facebook integration: Not possible to share shotos directly from the camera roll

Somethings wrong here, because I can do that.

- Power consumption: Not very energy efficient! Even with simple web browsing, the phone gets slightly warm, which wasn't the case on my N9.

This doesnt happen on mine either.

- Status bar at the top: why does it disappear? Is it possible to lock it there? Because the clock is there anyway, this space is not fully usable. I like to see which my current connection is and my battery status. Its even not avaliable at all if IE is running.

It disappears because its a cleaner more distinct look, Im sure. You can have small-sized connectiontiles that show battery and signalstrengths, I think :) .

- It takes long before the phone detects my home WLAN when returning into the coverage area (need to measure this, just impression, N9 seems to be faster)

Hehe my N9 seems far slower. Let us know what you find out during tests.

- Difficult to see (see above) and switch internet connectivity (select between WLANs or chose 3G). N9 needs only a tap on the status bar.

Plus a tap on the connection, then selecting the new one, then clicking accept ;) .

- "send" button to close to "thumb move area", resulting in accidental sending of unfinished text. should be above keyboard (N9)

Oh no, if it was Id kill people on a daily basis. The fact that its NOT up top on a big device like the 920 is a great thing. Having a send button at the top of such a large screen is as useful as having the unlockbutton on top of a 4.3" screen phone; its just a bad idea.
I dont have any problems with the send button at all.

- Nokia Music: Offline mixes should be available offline. I found that the mix does not play, if no internet connection. Probably it needs to report usage, location and I don't know what. But it appears to be not fully "offline" availabe. Any other experience?

I saved a Nokia Music list to offline, had no mobile data connection on, no wifi, and it played for about 40 minutes as I was taking a walk (standup-mix, so much fun) :)

- Lame "Multitasking". E.g. map installation does not happen in the background, have to watch and wait, can not do anything else

True, I miss multitasking like it was on the n900/n9.

- Difficult to close running (or suspended) apps. A lot of juggling with the back key to close all unwanted apps. Not sure if this is necessary at all, but I want to keep the list small because I suspect some apps to consume too much power.

Well, iirc that usually spends more power than just leaving them alone in most (if not all) cases. But I agree, a small X on the top of each appcard during the multitasking view would be great.

- Not possible to group the less frequently used apps (kind of folders)

True. Personally I have everything I use more than once a month on the homescreen, since with WP8s introduction of the small tiles I can, then leave the less used things to the Applist.

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No backward compatibility with WP 7 apps
No integration with any kind of "official" TV/Movie service (I think even Blackberry has this)
haptic feedback on the keyboard is actually kind of a big one, I think it would increase typing speed and accuracy a lot
an emphasis of quality over quantity in the app store as a safeguard against the WP store becoming like the Android marketplace

Stefanix

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
FB sharing from camera roll:
Somethings wrong here, because I can do that.
So HOW? Does FB appear in the list after tapping "...share"? If yes, something is wrong on my device. Configuration? Order of app installation? Maybe I should try a reset.

It disappears because its a cleaner more distinct look, Im sure. You can have small-sized connectiontiles that show battery and signalstrengths, I think :) .
Right. But having an app occupying the screen, I cant see the status. It's especially important using the IE. Here it's not available at all. I guess it's a bug. Anyway, would be good to have a permanent status bar as option.

I saved a Nokia Music list to offline, had no mobile data connection on, no wifi, and it played for about 40 minutes as I was taking a walk (standup-mix, so much fun) :)
Thanks, this was my mistake! My offline mixes appear together with other mixes on the Nokia Music start screen. I mixed the mixes obviously. :) works now.

Access to connectivity options:
Plus a tap on the connection, then selecting the new one, then clicking accept ;) .
No, come on, you have admit that N9 is much better here. :wink: Internet connectivity is in one place, cellular and WiFi together, and you get there even if an app is in the foreground. Although we can't clone the N9 UI on WP, why not learn from the best of all exsiting implementations? Although not sure about patent issues.

Stefanix

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Forgot one:
Needs restart after SIM change. Many people have multiple SIMs, e.g. due to need for local SIMs when travelling.
N9 (sorry to refer always to this device, but it's kind of reference for many features) allows SIM change on the fly and registers again as soon as new SIM is inserted. No restart.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

So HOW? Does FB appear in the list after tapping "...share"? If yes, something is wrong on my device. Configuration? Order of app installation? Maybe I should try a reset.

Are you actually logged into FB via WP*? I am not talking the app, I am talking under accounts in settings.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
People sure do look for any flaws they can find in this phone.

The threads keep coming daily... wow.

If you are used to something, you probably don't have to LOOK for flaws, they are just going to pop up. Many things I accepted as just "different". What I couldn't accept is my phone freezing/locking/rebooting every now and then. Forced me to sell it yesterday. I will be back if/when the bugs are ironed out. Maybe by then we will actually have yellow Lumias readily available. :)

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia does not make me coffee..

Some of your shortcomings are correct, others aren't. It seems to me like you should have looked into that before you bought the phone. :)

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased a 3rd Lumia 920 today for my business plus have a Lumia 820 - Now have a white, grey and yellow 920. I have been using the Yellow 920 for two weeks now with out a single reset and battery life is fine. Even tested the restore from backup on one of the new 920's - works a treat. I must admit the only two features I look forward to are a SIP/cisco client and always on WIFI but hardly a deal breaker. The single best feature of Windows Phone 8 is its simplicity - it just works - just enter your usernames and passwords and away you go.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I registered my FB account under Accounts in Settings, and its just there on the Share list, yes :) .

Right. But having an app occupying the screen, I cant see the status. It's especially important using the IE. Here it's not available at all. I guess it's a bug. Anyway, would be good to have a permanent status bar as option.

Aye, perhaps. What about tapping volume rocker, does that show the status? Not a fix, more of a workaround. I do agree that more options are good, as long as it doesnt put off new customers. Could perhaps have a setting that puts the phone in "Advanced use", opening up more options that might confuse the general public, but is nice for users like those who hang around phoneforums.

Thanks, this was my mistake! My offline mixes appear together with other mixes on the Nokia Music start screen. I mixed the mixes obviously. :) works now.

Sweet!

Access to connectivity options:

No, come on, you have admit that N9 is much better here. :wink: Internet connectivity is in one place, cellular and WiFi together, and you get there even if an app is in the foreground. Although we can't clone the N9 UI on WP, why not learn from the best of all exsiting implementations? Although not sure about patent issues.

Hehe, I agree. If they add a notification centre on the phone, I vote for the N9 approach of simply adding a screen when swiping left from the homescreen that shows your notifications and perhaps add in personalized switches like WiFi, Data, BT, NFC, or whatever you may need, etcetera. Put the three screens (notification, Home, applist) in a carousel, and boom.

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have my WP8 device yet, and this is from WP7.5, but i think the functionality is the same.

When you're trying to share a photo and you hit the "... Button," you should see an option to "share..." don't use that one. Right next to that option should be a "share to Facebook" option. Its supposed to be a "quick share feature."

On the status bar, on most apps, you should be able to drag your finger from the top of the screen to make it visible for a few seconds. On IE, you can touch the "... Button," and pull it up slightly. This should make the status bar appear.

Hope that helps!

awsman

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have my WP8 device yet, and this is from WP7.5, but i think the functionality is the same.

When you're trying to share a photo and you hit the "... Button," you should see an option to "share..." don't use that one. Right next to that option should be a "share to Facebook" option. Its supposed to be a "quick share feature."

On the status bar, on most apps, you should be able to drag your finger from the top of the screen to make it visible for a few seconds. On IE, you can touch the "... Button," and pull it up slightly. This should make the status bar appear.

Hope that helps!

It doesn't work that way anymore. It's just Share and then it pops up all your options to share to. Facebook should be one of those options, if your settings are configured correctly. The part about IE still applies though.

Stefanix

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you actually logged into FB via WP*? I am not talking the app, I am talking under accounts in settings.
I registered my FB account under Accounts in Settings, and its just there on the Share list, yes :) .
Hm, yes, of course that was it. Thanks, and thanks again! I saw only one FB app and concluded it should be enough to enter my credentials there. :sweaty:
So there seems to a build-in client for chat only, as far as I understand, and a standalone app (from MS as well) for all other FB features. I wonder how they cooperate, or if they work independently in parallel.

Regarding other remarks: It seems that some 920 owners feel offended if someone lists some issues. I think this forum would be quite boring if people come here only to praise their devices! It would be helpful to get hints for workarounds or correct if I am wrong, like with my FB problem.

I just came across another problem, namely tunein Internet radio. It works very poorly on my 920, playing only fragments of the stream, while the tunein based client on my infamous N9 plays flawlessly. This is an important feature. I wonder what's the cause. Maybe a too small buffer? Or is this app in some way incompatible with WP8? Internet is not very reliable here, but obviously other clients can cope with it. Does anyone have a recommendation for another client?

Stefanix

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot! I should have seen this! Using the "..." menu, I guess my eyes were glued to the menu options in the lower part of the screen.
So, very well, I think my list of deficiencies can be shortened a bit! :grin: Still some work to do for MS and I hope the next update is not too far away!

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
When its not connected to any network, and I run IE, it shows
"We're having trouble connecting to this webpage.

Try the following:
Make sure flight mode is turned off.
Check your WiFi settings."
I'm on WP7.5 though. Not on 8.

Also, if you're at the main screen of an app, a back will close the app. But if you're a few levels deep into the app, it'll bring you out level by level.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Also check the forums for solutions. Most of what you have listed has already been mentioned and out there with answers. As Slai has shown. Noone minds issues, but another thread about the same issues is what people are tired of. If it is an original one, people won't say anything. And since you know about Poritco means you read and know your way around things. Search can be your friend here as well. Hope you enjoy your new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3