Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By BensCode
  • 5 Post By tsk1979

Hello All, i am having problems trying to figure out how to assign a static/dynamic ip address on my Lumia 920, if you know how, can you kindly show it to me? Thank you. jp

I guess i am the only one that is having this issue. thanks and lol

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    no, I have the same issue. I don't think it is supported yet.

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts
    Any router worth the money will have IP reservation feature. I just don't see any reason why you need a static IP address for a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Any router worth the money will have IP reservation feature. I just don't see any reason why you need a static IP address for a phone.
    That's what I do for all my home static IPs - I reserve IPs in the DHCP server based on device mac address. So much better control that way.

If you want to put in a fixed IP address... well, pressing and holding the connection, tapping edit, doesn't really let you manually enter that info. Looks like the DHCP reservation is the only way.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    O really? Are you talking from the prospects of a normal home user? Well, in our case, what you said is not applicable. We welcome visitors (dozens of them) every week over to our corporate offices and setting up our DHCP servers with MAC address reservations for the visitors devices are LEAST doable.
    Let us say it is a missing feature, and it is. Today WP8 had a wifi update, the download size was around 4MBs (decent size to have many modifications) however, the wifi setting area is still dumb. May it was just a bug fix

raj

Quote Originally Posted by Raj Thampi View Post
    O really? Are you talking from the prospects of a normal home user? Well, in our case, what you said is not applicable. We welcome visitors (dozens of them) every week over to our corporate offices and setting up our DHCP servers with MAC address reservations for the visitors devices are LEAST doable.
    Let us say it is a missing feature, and it is. Today WP8 had a wifi update, the download size was around 4MBs (decent size to have many modifications) however, the wifi setting area is still dumb. May it was just a bug fix

raj
    Like it has been said... use dynamic IP. Why would a visitor to your corporate office require a static IP?

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Who cares WHY?

It's not a question whether or not his reasoning is legitimate. The question is can it be done.

The answer is no. There are workarounds to get you a static ip as others have mentioned, but there is currently no way to do it directly on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by danmcg View Post
    Who cares WHY?It's not a question whether or not his reasoning is legitimate. The question is can it be done.The answer is no. There are workarounds to get you a static ip as others have mentioned, but there is currently no way to do it directly on the phone.
    Take a chill pill, buddy.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy John View Post
    You get tired quickly of reading the same style of answers around here. It seems to be much more rampant than any of the other boards that I frequent...

No puedo configurar la IP estática en mi terminal.
    Es un Nokia Lumia 610 y aparecen los campos pero están bloqueados.
    ¿Es tema de la operadora (Orange), Nokia o de Microsoft? ¿Quién me bloquea esta configuración? ¿Dónde poner una reclamación al respecto?
    El terminal es mío, esto lo he podido realizar desde hace años en otros terminales (Symbian, Android,..), y ahora¿ Windows Phone no me deja?

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy John View Post
    John, corporates design policies and certain policies bind you towards using only a certain IP pool and the firewalls are configured accordingly. You cannot assign IP through a dhcp mechanism, hence we recommend the visitors to use static IP addresses from the pool, simple :)

regards,

rt

John, corporates design policies and certain policies bind you towards using only a certain IP pool and the firewalls are configured accordingly. You cannot assign IP through a dhcp mechanism, hence we recommend the visitors to use static IP addresses from the pool, simple :)
    Wow, time to fire your IT staff.

Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    Wow, time to fire your IT staff.
    Yeah. DHCP's purposed is to "assign IP through a DHCP mechanism". You can set the range of valid IP to assign. And it's a lot more reliable than the unstructured method of assigning static IP as how do you know who has what on any day? Paper? And that doesn't stop someone who's been in the office the week before from clashing when they walk in the door. Messy.

DHCP was created for a reason.

However, it would be complete for the Wi-Fi settings to permit entering a static IP for users that want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by john phan View Post
    Hello All, i am having problems trying to figure out how to assign a static/dynamic ip address on my Lumia 920, if you know how, can you kindly show it to me? Thank you. jp
    i've been struggling with this for a few days now. ever since i got the phone. and i just would not accept that it was not possible. typical windows user mentality! LOL!
    anyway, it is possible. if you have access to the wifi router you are connecting to.

set the router to DHCP server.
    set the IP you want it to assign to connecting clients.
    set the DNS address you want connecting clients to use.
    set the router to serve as default gateway.

then delete your wifi connection on the phone. and reconnect to the router.
    it will assign the IP you set as well as the DNS and default gateway!
    you can verify the settings by holding down on the connection name and choosing edit.
    if all went well, you can go back and change all the router settings to the way they were initially.
    nothing will change on the phone and it will keep the custom settings, provided that the wifi router SSID does not change.
    that would require a new connection to be stored on the phone with different settings.

BTW, i am using Lumia 900 on Billion ADSL/3G/WiFi router.
    oh and i also agree with 1 of the posters above: if you're not answering the OP's question, then you're not helping.
    if the OP wanted opinions on why/what/where/who he would ask as much. and that would probably be a whole other thread. heck, it probably is.
    he didn't though. he just asked how. so answer that or don't answer at all yeah. :)

regards,

rt
    From Wikipedia:

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The clients request configuration settings using the DHCP protocol such as an IP address, a default route and one or more DNS server addresses. Once the client implements these settings, the host is able to communicate on that internet."

Just joined the site to post this reply. these answers to the question clearly shows why you all are tied to your windows phones. Real idiots.
    Thanked by:

dear sir/madam
    Static ip address is needed bez our office run wifi with vpn connection and it is needed static ip with DNS

I've just been connecting a range of mobile devices to our Dev and Test networks, Windows Phone is the only one that doesn't support Static IP addresses so now I have to configure DHCP on the DC's and reserve a range of IP Addresses instead...which is a pain in the arse! Microsoft Get Your act together!!!!

For all of those people who say 'you don't need that...on my home network...' go play in a sandpit and let the grownups talk

Thanks Bro for the clarity !

Quote Originally Posted by BensCode View Post

For all of those people who say 'you don't need that...on my home network...' go play in a sandpit and let the grownups talk
    Thanks for saying this out loud. Whenever I have asked for an ability to do something advanced, eg static ip, or file manager, or directly accessing files to send etc., there have been users jumping in saying "90%" of people would never need this functionality, so dont whine. I wonder why do people want to apologize or defend windows phone OS. Every OS has its drawbacks, and they are.. well.. drawbacks. For some we do not have any workaround, for some complicated workarounds exist.

Amber was a dissapointment, because most of stuff it did is eye candy etc., However, MS needs to make the OS less dumbed down and more smartphonish. The "Advanced settings" facility exists for a purpose. Normal users never need to go there, but for those of us who want to use the phone to its max, its good to have the ability to do so!
    Quote Originally Posted by H3R5CH View Post
    i've been struggling with this for a few days now. ever since i got the phone. and i just would not accept that it was not possible. typical windows user mentality! LOL!
    anyway, it is possible. if you have access to the wifi router you are connecting to.

set the router to DHCP server.
    set the IP you want it to assign to connecting clients.
    set the DNS address you want connecting clients to use.
    set the router to serve as default gateway.

then delete your wifi connection on the phone. and reconnect to the router.
    it will assign the IP you set as well as the DNS and default gateway!
    you can verify the settings by holding down on the connection name and choosing edit.
    if all went well, you can go back and change all the router settings to the way they were initially.
    nothing will change on the phone and it will keep the custom settings, provided that the wifi router SSID does not change.
    that would require a new connection to be stored on the phone with different settings.

BTW, i am using Lumia 900 on Billion ADSL/3G/WiFi router.
    oh and i also agree with 1 of the posters above: if you're not answering the OP's question, then you're not helping.
    if the OP wanted opinions on why/what/where/who he would ask as much. and that would probably be a whole other thread. heck, it probably is.
    he didn't though. he just asked how. so answer that or don't answer at all yeah. :)
    this instruction help me configure my router to connect to my windows phone...

I can do this so easily on my PC, iPhone, and Nexus. Really disappointing that I have to use my iPhone as a hotspot to connect my Windows phone to the Internet. The group from whom I rent my office have set Static IP addressing as their way of doing things so unhelpful suggestions like "why would you want to do this" or "fire them" are just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by jwr51 View Post
    I can do this so easily on my PC, iPhone, and Nexus. Really disappointing that I have to use my iPhone as a hotspot to connect my Windows phone to the Internet. The group from whom I rent my office have set Static IP addressing as their way of doing things so unhelpful suggestions like "why would you want to do this" or "fire them" are just annoying.
    Totally agree. This is sooooo annoying!

Some business, such as the one I work at, have severely locked down networks and a static IP is required to use the network. Configuring exceptions and MAC addresses through two routers and a firewall is not doable. Simply adding a static IP which any Android or IPhone user can do is required. That's why.