Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

I'm having the usual problems such as random reboots, black screen while calling/receiving, and bad call quality (apparently I sound really muffled, distant, and keep on going in and out). For those who have returned theirs for a replacement, is there much resistance to getting a replacement when dealing with ATT reps? Thanks.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toupac View Post
    I'm having the usual problems such as random reboots, black screen while calling/receiving, and bad call quality (apparently I sound really muffled, distant, and keep on going in and out). For those who have returned theirs for a replacement, is there much resistance to getting a replacement when dealing with ATT reps? Thanks.
    if it's within the 14 days, you wont have any issues as long as the phone is in excellent physical condition. if the phone's been damaged, good luck. i heard it's pretty much impossible.

if you're passed the 14 day mark, they'll attempt to fix it but a new replacement? doubtful. damaged and past 14 days? not happening...

this is from my past experience with att.
    Lumia 920

Quote Originally Posted by JConn_Lefty View Post
    if it's within the 14 days, you wont have any issues as long as the phone is in excellent physical condition. if the phone's been damaged, good luck. i heard it's pretty much impossible.

if you're passed the 14 day mark, they'll attempt to fix it but a new replacement? doubtful. damaged and past 14 days? not happening...

this is from my past experience with att.
    What if you have insurance? Isnt that point of it, to be able to replace/fix when you do have issues/damage?

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    If you are within 14 days, you can go into store and swap assuming there are in stock. If they are not instock, you might have to wait or try another store or take on a different color. You can arrange something to exchange with the store probably if they dont have in stock and swap when it arrives, but need to make sure they are aware of the arrangement, most likely, ATT reps at ATT store will screw up and not remember.

If you are passed 14 days, you can get a warranty exchange, your device should be under warranty for a year, so you can get a warranty exchange if they have availability. Warranty exchanges are done over the phone, they will send you a device and when it arrives, they send you a box to return your defective phone.

Warranty exchange should be simple as long as you dont go jibber jabbering about your phone and about how you take care of it, just say it has issues and taht is it. They may ask you to check the sim tray because of the color marker in there, if it is a certain color, it means water damage and you are out of luck, if it is not a certain color, they will exchange. Tell them you restarted, factory reset, charged fully, and that is it. That means you have troubleshooted yourself and they dont have to waste your time going through the process. Onc eyou say that, they should be arranging an exchange. Since the phone is rather new, not sure if you will get a new one or refurbished usually warranty exchanges are refurbished.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,373 Global Posts
    If you have insurance you'll most likely get a refurbish phone.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    What if you have insurance? Isnt that point of it, to be able to replace/fix when you do have issues/damage?
    if you have the att ins, i THINK, they attempt to fix the problem first. if the problem persist, they will send you another phone. BUT, you have no guarantee it's new (most likely refurbished) and you have to pay your deductible which is $125 for the 920. i know this because i have a friend who's going through with att ins on his 920. looks like he'll be getting a refurbished 920 but no eta since they seem to be sold out everywhere.
    Lumia 920

if you have the att ins, i THINK, they attempt to fix the problem first. if the problem persist, they will send you another phone. BUT, you have no guarantee it's new (most likely refurbished) and you have to pay your deductible which is $125 for the 920. i know this because i have a friend who's going through with att ins on his 920. looks like he'll be getting a refurbished 920 but no eta since they seem to be sold out everywhere.
    You have to pay a deductible which is more than what many even paid for the phone in the first place?

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    If you are within 14 days, you can go into store and swap assuming there are in stock. If they are not instock, you might have to wait or try another store or take on a different color. You can arrange something to exchange with the store probably if they dont have in stock and swap when it arrives, but need to make sure they are aware of the arrangement, most likely, ATT reps at ATT store will screw up and not remember.

If you are passed 14 days, you can get a warranty exchange, your device should be under warranty for a year, so you can get a warranty exchange if they have availability. Warranty exchanges are done over the phone, they will send you a device and when it arrives, they send you a box to return your defective phone.

Warranty exchange should be simple as long as you dont go jibber jabbering about your phone and about how you take care of it, just say it has issues and taht is it. They may ask you to check the sim tray because of the color marker in there, if it is a certain color, it means water damage and you are out of luck, if it is not a certain color, they will exchange. Tell them you restarted, factory reset, charged fully, and that is it. That means you have troubleshooted yourself and they dont have to waste your time going through the process. Onc eyou say that, they should be arranging an exchange. Since the phone is rather new, not sure if you will get a new one or refurbished usually warranty exchanges are refurbished.
    the warranty replacement i'm assuming only works if your phone is in pristine condition correct? ie, if it show signs of wear, this get's thrown out the window?
    Lumia 920

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    You have to pay a deductible which is more than what many even paid for the phone in the first place?
    yes because the 920 is actually worth over $500 if you try to buy it without contract.
    Lumia 920
    My experiences are good. Never had a problem. Premier customer.

Global Posts
    2,996 Global Posts
    Not if you bought it off contract, $125 is better than paying another $450.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    the warranty replacement i'm assuming only works if your phone is in pristine condition correct? ie, if it show signs of wear, this get's thrown out the window?
    For the most part, no, they send you the warranty exchange without checking the device because it is over the phone. They may ask you to check the sim tray as i mentioned for water damage.

what is giong to happen if you send back your defective phone and find out there is a big chip on the corner, cracked screen, or anything that clearly shows you dropped your phone or something bad had happened, they will charge you on your bill for the phone they sent you.

So if ask for a warranty exchange and send them back a device you can physically see significant damage, they will charge you.

Also, this phone is still relatively new, not sure how much wear and tear you can get on this phone so early. if there are small marks that aren't visible unless you stick your face in it, you are probably ok. If you can clearly see it, you could get charged for the replacement device.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    For the most part, no, they send you the warranty exchange without checking the device because it is over the phone. They may ask you to check the sim tray as i mentioned for water damage.

what is giong to happen if you send back your defective phone and find out there is a big chip on the corner, cracked screen, or anything that clearly shows you dropped your phone or something bad had happened, they will charge you on your bill for the phone they sent you.

So if ask for a warranty exchange and send them back a device you can physically see significant damage, they will charge you.

Also, this phone is still relatively new, not sure how much wear and tear you can get on this phone so early. if there are small marks that aren't visible unless you stick your face in it, you are probably ok. If you can clearly see it, you could get charged for the replacement device.
    but how much would they charge? i would assume this is something they'll cover before asking you to send in the phone.
    Lumia 920

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    but how much would they charge? i would assume this is something they'll cover before asking you to send in the phone.
    If they send you a phone and then you return the phone and they feel your phone is in good condition where they can refurbish and reissue without doing cosmetic fixes, you wont get charged at all.

If you send a phone back and it has damage on it and they feel your defective phone could be due to you not taking care of the phone , they will charge you the full amount of the phone which is probably going to be $500.

Curious on why you are asking, you planning to send them a messed up phone? If your phone is in good condition that is not working properly, you have nothing to worry about.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    If they send you a phone and then you return the phone and they feel your phone is in good condition where they can refurbish and reissue without doing cosmetic fixes, you wont get charged at all.

If you send a phone back and it has damage on it and they feel your defective phone could be due to you not taking care of the phone , they will charge you the full amount of the phone which is probably going to be $500.

Curious on why you are asking, you planning to send them a messed up phone? If your phone is in good condition that is not working properly, you have nothing to worry about.
    yea, that's what i thought. i've done this in the past and they asked what the condition of the phone was in. if its anything below pristine, they wont even accept it. they'll go over that with you before anything is even started.

nope, wanted to know if something changed.
    Lumia 920

Thanks. Unfortunately, I dropped it about waist high a couple weeks ago (has a scuff/dent mark on bottom right corner now... not too noticeable but still there nonetheless) and so I probably won't be able to return it via warranty exchange without getting charged. I'll just wait to see if Nokia can fix some of these bugs.

Is there any definitive way on Windows Phone to tell if its refurbished? I know with an android phone you can ##786# and for the iPhone they change the serial number. Is there anything similar for Windows Phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by toupac View Post
    Like people said, if you are within 14 days, no questions asked. I know a friend who complained that the battery drained quickly. They didn't even say anything to him; they just asked him "do you want a different colored phone for your replacement?"